BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Another Brake Recall..!!!

15K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  redz 
#1 ·
Yes I did not believe it....
I got a phone call + text from the bmw dealer.

"There is a New service campaign for yor G310 to inspect the front and rear brakes calipers.
Please contact us to arrange an appointment.
Regards BMW service Team..."

Well I have already had my calipers replaced last year.
It must be a mistake... I called in to the bmw dealer this morning.
No, they need the bike in for another 1.5hours to do more caliper 'inspections'..
So its booked in this Friday.
I only hope they do a better job of bleeding them than they did last time..

#2 ·
So, after seeing the original "Recall" on the calipers, I thought after 2 years of faultless use I wasn't too worried.
However, while riding through Central London during "Rush-hour" I found after an un-planned emergency stop my rear caliper had seized onto the the disk.
Left it for a minute or so then gave it a whack and it released, managed to get the bike to BMW Guildford where they duly offered to replace the calipers..Cool.

OK, so everything gets fixed, I take the bike home but after a couple of days the Starter motor dies. Take the bike back to Guildford where they are now back ordering some part for the starter.

So I phone them yesterday 21/01/20 just to see how long I'll be waiting to be then told, "Yup, your going to need the calipers changed".
"But you only did them last week!"...

The bike is expected to be fixed mid-Feb, I'm not really complaining as I have a new courtesy GS750 to ride that has great handlebar grip heater.

#3 ·
Looks like this means they finally figured out the permanent fix (different type calipers). When they do the initial swap they just put in new calipers of the old (= faulty) design. Which is why I haven't bothered so far. Will be interesting to see how long it takes BMW to roll out the new calipers across the globe.

#15 ·
Yes, I got a text message from my local dealer about the brake caliper recall at the end of January, I was a bit surprised as I'd only had the caliper rebuilt in September when the bike was serviced, but I couldn't argue with that?
I had my calipers replaced on Thursday whilst I waited, no fuss at all, had a couple of nice coffees and good chat with the business manager and another customer, the time passed quickly and fruitfully.

#16 ·
Picked up my Otto (G310GS) from the workshop after brake recall service today. Here in Finland the brakes are first inspected and according to their condition it is decided what action is needed. After the workshop has checked pistons, sealings and calipers, it is decided how much work is needed and what parts are to be renewed. In my case, both calipers was exchanged. I haven't had any problems with my brakes and the only notable difference after the job is that front brake handle activates a little later. Everything els seems to be good.

#19 ·
I'm on the west coast of Canada and I received a recall notice today for the front caliper on my GS. The words and instructions look identical to the recall notice as for the rear caliper.

I only completed the last brake recall about three weeks ago and nothing was mentioned about the front caliper at that time.

Got to test ride a Duc 800 Scrambler as a loner for a day that time.

#27 · (Edited)
You need to contact your dealer!! it appears BMW are only contacting owners in countries where weather requires the use of salt on the roads like in the UK, but the calliper problem is a fault that still needs to be fixed by a replacement of the callipers front and rear regardless of your riding conditions.

This is the reason BMW and Royal Enfield have been doing a recall. The fault is with the brake callipers and corrosion on the pistons in the callipers has been reported to prevent the disc pads from releasing from the brake discs and the brakes to bind. I have had may callipers replaced by my dealer on my 2019 BMW G310R and are now waiting for replacements on my new 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 but these are delayed due to reduced production in factories in India because of Covid-19 many makes of bikes use the same make and type of calliper including KTM

#28 ·
Yes I have contacted them, they have been “on the way” to collect my bike for the last 24 hours. Anyways, they should start contacting everyone as my case at least proves that in a warm dry Climate with no salt on the roads the brakes can seize up completely, with potentially fatal results.

I bet if the CEO of BMW had a family member who owned a G310r in South Africa, they would have given them a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.