BMW G310RR Supersport - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I was working with carbon fibre panels and structural members 24 years ago at BMW, you'd think they would be commonplace by now.

I did read that they are considering injection moulded carbon fibre parts (might have to wait a couple of years for that one)
jasper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
I was working with carbon fibre panels and structural members 24 years ago at BMW,
It really hasn't come all that far, has it? I've been looking at an old, classic Ducati for months that a friend of mine has. The 1990 750 Sport.
It has fairings (not to mention just about all the parts on it) that are basically unobtanium and from what I understand, Ducati had them manufactured by a company in Germany at the time who was making them with a really heavy pre-preg fiberglass vs layup. I might be incorrect on this, but I think the 86-88 F1 fairings were produced in the same way. I bounce the idea back and forth of getting this bike... it's gorgeous and the last of the handbuilt Ducs. I looked into making molds off the panels, cowl, and seat and reproducing them in fiberglass and discovered it was almost the same price to do them in carbon through the infusion process. That surprised me!

By the way, I bet you have loads of cool insight and stories of your time at BMW!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page