BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Out on he GS doing it's thing

21K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Eccles 
#1 · (Edited)
Out on the GS doing it's thing

I'm convinced that out-of-the-box the G310 GS is configured for primarily road use, rubber pads over the enduro style footpegs, handle bars set to a back and lower position.

So started the day implementing some recommendations that have been made for configuring the GS a little better for off-road duties.
Using a 6mm hex bit to loosen the bar clamps, rotated the bars up and forward a few inches. Then using an 8mm ring spanner on the mirror mounts to straightened up the clutch, brake levers and mirrors to match the new angle of attack.

Removed the rubbers from the top of the foot pegs to reveal the cerated metal enduro type pegs beneath. This also adds a few mm to the peg/seat distance.

The result is the bike is even more spacious, with the higher set bars giving it a 'bigger bike' feel. Standing up on the pegs is now much more comfortable for off road use (eyes up, steer with feet).

That all done and a quick chain clean and lube, set off on a 250Km loop that covered city streets, dual carriage expressway, great sealed twisty roads and picturesque, less traveled gravel roads. I had a hoot, the G310 GS performed flawlessly, showing it's awesome versatility, revelling in the mix of road types and surfaces.

Check this link for the track captured on the GPS. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BVIz2VAVBbu9QHNEcf_RWvCw04DRWAT5&usp=sharing

Stopped along the way to grab a few pics.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi MotoGS. I’ve fitted a Shad SH39 in the past to the GS, it’s on another bike at the moment.

The side cases are Orbit 22 litre a piece by Hepco-Becker, C-Bow attached.
C-Bow holder BMW G 310 GS 2017 on

#5 ·
Eccles,
Gorgeous countryside and terrain.
Very much like the way you've setup the GS, and I agree the bike from the box is more Tarmac oriented than
off road.
Btw, for room and board I am willing to head your way in exchange for any maintenance or cleaning on your bikes.
😂

#6 ·
Hi Tickster,

Thanks for the kind words, and certainly worthwhile to consider adding a trip down under to the bucket list. A country just made for the likes of the GS. :smile2:

#10 ·
310GS Down Under

We will have two BMW G310GS in the upcoming APC Rally early March, we sent the first Rally Raid Products Adventure Kits from the UK last week to Sydney, and they are being built up this Wednesday at Adv Moto in Dural.
Anyone wishing to see the bikes, ridden by Aussie lady Amy Harburg and RR UK rider Adam Mitchinson, can contact David Darcy of MAD TV fame in Sydney. After the rally Amy will be shipping her 310GS to Mongolia for the BMW GS Challenge, the riding it overland to the Rally Raid HQ in the UK........she's some girl !!

#15 ·
Great Autumn riding weather

In Sydney this weekend, had some great clear blue skies like Woodworks pic above albeit 28C.

The GS is loving the new pipe and took me on a 300km round trip through some mighty pretty terrain..... again :grin2:

Reactions: WoodWorks
#16 ·
In Sydney this weekend, had some great clear blue skies like Woodworks pic above albeit 28C.

The GS is loving the new pipe and took me on a 300km round trip through some mighty pretty terrain..... again :grin2:

is that a slip on can or a complete system?did you see any difference in torque/handling (besides sound !)that justifies it's money? it sure is good looking!

#24 · (Edited)
Rode Eccles’s goose on a big winter ride with the girls ride out, down to the Southern highlands, ended up in drizzle and mist, 9C, before heading down Jamberoo Mountain to the dry roads on the coast. Eccles’s Goose has 11,000ks, and Akra pipe and it was very interesting comparing it with my Gs. It certainly rides very well. One thing I like about the gs is the engine breaking from the single cylinder especially down a slippery wet mountain roads. Singles break much better than twins. 10 hrs and close to 400 ks. Great ride with old friends

#26 ·
Rode Eccles’s goose on a big winter ride with the girls ride out, down to the Southern highlands, ended up in drizzle and mist, 9C, before heading down Jamberoo Mountain to the dry roads on the coast. Eccles’s Goose has 11,000ks, and Akra pipe and it was very interesting comparing it with my Gs. It certainly rides very well. One thing I like about the gs is the engine breaking from the single cylinder especially down a slippery wet mountain roads. Singles break much better than twins. 10 hrs and close to 400 ks. Great ride with old friends
By the pictures looks like it was wet, cold and FUN ride! Here in Southern California is always sunny and warm :p

#25 ·
Colo River and up Mountain Lagoon Rd

Lol this bike just continues to earn it's keep.

The day was supposed to be spent heading down the boat to make sure it was still floating, and if so, do some wax on wax off work. However the rain radar showed that on the coast it was going to be a day of repeated shower squalls, certainly not conducive to the task required. However, looking inland there was a chance that things may dry out a bit after a few days of regional rain.

Hmmm, better to go riding instead, easy call.

So headed west out from under the drizzle to drying tarmac to ride some roads scoped out from time spent perusing the Topo maps.

For the locals, the route was from the 828 Tractor Cafe Sackville, turning off the West Portland Rd tarmac to follow the dirt road that snakes along beside the Colo River, finally turning up the mountain at Upper Colo. Climbing up the mountain and along the ridge line on Mountain Lagoon Rd before emerging at the fruit orchards around Bilpin on the Bells Line of Road.

The roads were still damp and greasy in parts, though the GS handled it fine so long as the speed was matched to the conditions. A few muddy and 4WD ripped up tight switchbacks up the mountain presented a challenge for the standard Tourance tyres which did struggle for grip, though the baby GS did make it through unscathed.

All that hard work deserved a reward of some yummy grits at the Pie in the Sky.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KhbcRf9D2QFtv2oCTAS9NmPzYEErgv95&usp=sharing

#27 ·
Just back from a late afternoon run in the forest after fitting a new dominator exhaust on the GS. It was certainly nice to finally hear the 310 crack, and to feel the extra mid range torque. The exhaust is loud but after an hour of riding hwy and forest roads I decided its not too loud...and it doesnt sound like a lil 310 any more. The question is does a loud pipe make you ride harder? It certainly did in the forest. Guess what the skull is for.

#28 · (Edited)
A 310 GS and a clear winters day made for great riding through the forest and the opportunity to pause here for a while and drink in some life.

#29 · (Edited)
Lite Adventure loop past where Pigs Fly

The clear winter days keep on rolling through :grin2:. Having spent the last 6 months of GS ownership scoping out some good roads and dubious attempts at honing off-road skills, set off to string together a few of those in what turned out to be an awesome 360 Km ride.

Up hill, down dale, along the valleys and over the mountains. The GPS logged that I climbed up and down just over 6000 meters along the ride. A most entertaining and fulfilling way to spend such a stunning day, thanks Goose :smile2:.

A map of the loop

#31 ·
Finally got out on GS Mk2 having fitted all the bits and pieces.
Ecstatic at the result, the tyres have good bite on the dirt and great grip on the tarmac. The Rally Raid Level 1 suspension is well worth the price of entry. 👏

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.