5 Things You Need to Know - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

5 Things You Need to Know

Found this article on IBTimes that listed off 5 things you need to know about the BMW G310R. Kind of interesting, but I think these are things we all know already. Do you guys have anything else to list or is any of this new to you ?

Quote:
  • BMW G 310 R has been developed jointly by Indo-German alliance BMW Motorrad and TVS Motor Company and was first showcased in Brazil last year.
  • It is the first BMW motorcycle to be made in India and also the first to be manufactured outside Europe. The G 310 R will be produced at the TVS Motor facility in Tamil Nadu.
  • It measures 1,988mm in length, 896mm in width, 1,227mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,374mm. It employs a 300mm disc brake at the front, and a 240mm disc brake at the rear.
  • Powering the G 310 R is an all-new 313cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with four valves and two overhead camshafts, together with electronic fuel injection. It can churn out power of 33.5bhp at 9,500rpm and maximum torque of 28Nm at 7,500rpm, mated to a six-speed gearbox. It also has a backward-tilted cylinder in open-deck design, with the cylinder head turned 180 degrees.
  • In India, the G 310 R will take on the likes of KTM Duke 390 and Mahindra Mojo, and is expected to come with a price tag of about Rs. 2.5 lakh. (~sub $4000 USD)
Full Article : BMW G 310 R: 5 things you need to know about first India-made BMW motorcycle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:34 AM

Why is this something that is a "need to know" ?
Quote:
BMW G 310 R has been developed jointly by Indo-German alliance BMW Motorrad and TVS Motor Company and was first showcased in Brazil last year
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 06:11 PM

I can always see how addressing the question of where development happened but when it comes to choosing 5 things to know... that definitely is not one of them, the shelf life of that answer is very short, very short in comparison to say engine specifications, ergonomics, etc.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

Exactly.. the first two points are quite irrelevant to the list. The rest I can understand. Dimensions, tech specs, price. Maybe if they would have added suspension info, and what not it would have been a great idea
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Even a video like the following provides more value.
The point about lower power output in the indian version for better fuel economy is an important one:

LiquidCool likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Wasn't aware of the lower power fact for the India spec g310r until now. Think the increase fuel efficiency and bike longevity is worth the reduction in power? Depending on how much more fuel efficient it is, the power loss may not be worth it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

It would have to be a heck of a noticeable amount more fuel efficient for me to ever consider sacrificing any power.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 AM

The g310r's reverse cylinder head configuration which already increases fuel efficiency so I don't really think losing power in the name of fuel savings is an equal trade off.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 AM

I don't feel there is ever a reason where you should trade off power for something else. Doesn't seem worth it at all. I mean, how much more fuel efficient do you want to be on a small bike anyhow ? I'm sure it's plenty good enough
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
The g310r's reverse cylinder head configuration which already increases fuel efficiency so I don't really think losing power in the name of fuel savings is an equal trade off.

Coming from driving a car every day, the way I look at it is how much i'm already saving from not driving a car, and the saving of that alone is amazing. That's just leaving out anything extra that would extract more mileage.

It's one of the big reasons why a lot of people ditch their cars for bikes.
Then of course there's the whole fun factor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page