BMW Will NOt Develop Smaller Capacity G310R - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

BMW Will NOt Develop Smaller Capacity G310R

125cc bikes has been gaining popularity these days, but BMW does not plan to jump onto the band wagon. Stephan Schaller, President of BMW Motorrad, was asked if BMW will forge onward into the small-capacity sector.

His answer:
Quote:
It is not a strategy to have lots of volume in the small capacity segment, the task of the G310 is to lower the hurdle for new customers. We want to attract new customers but we will not go to 125cc or lower. The G310 is 100% a BMW that attracts new customers who may step up to our big bikes as our main focus will remain the big bikes above 500cc.
That means we'll never see a small 125cc G310R, or any other small offshoot like that from any other model in BMW's lineup. But they didn't say anything about something like a 200 cc bike.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM

Maybe a 250 is possible but I don't really see a 200cc. Nonetheless, the 125cc area is a fun segment but I find majority of the people that buy them already own larger bikes and use those as little get-around or pit bikes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM

I doubt BMW will go any lower than 300cc. The brand is known for their touring lineup and for their engines. Any less than 300cc and the resulting bike won't fit in with the brand.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM

I had an R69US, then nothing, then an F650CS, which a guy crashed for me while I was on it last year, now I have a K75RT. I'm cruising now, but my old ghost pony is calling me, I can't figure out if I have a brain tumor. Hint: I had the F650CS for ten years. Now in Maine either you go around the suburbs of Portland for an hour or two, or you go to Bangor, which involves I-95 at least one-way because you don't have all day to go 130 miles one way. I watched the Russian cops roadtesting this G310R and they seem to have a lot of fun, but they were just driving around suburbs, stopping at a lot of lights.
I started comparing, the KTM 390, the V-strom 650 (this is all on-line), and I ended up back here. My dealer, whom I've known 35 years, said to me the other month, "It's just too much," when I said something about the K75 having more cylinders, more pieces, more weight. Well, now I remember how I got the F650CS, basically a leap of whimsy which came together exactly as wished-upon-a-star, so I couldn't really say "no". Also come to think of it, that's how I got the K75, like, the guy who sold it to me announced the morning I got crashed he was selling it, so one of the first lucid thoughts I had thereafter was that this was the reason the other guy had cut me off and near tore my head off. As they say in Maine. So now, the G310R coming along might look like a test-version of a third revelation. So I guess I'd better wait and see. But it doesn't hurt, maybe it helps, to review things, which is what I'm doing here. I forgot to add the guy selling the K75, aside from having military lineage, not that I can see the relevance of that, asked almost exactly what the collision insurance paid me, and I didn't even realize I had collision coverage all these years. But another club member said the K75 could have cost me what the G310R, as it turns out (no way he would have known that nor cared), costs new. One thing: it's nice to buy new or low-mileage, single-owner, owned by a retired FBI agent who never went over 55 most likely.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrushlau View Post
I had an R69US, then nothing, then an F650CS, which a guy crashed for me while I was on it last year, now I have a K75RT. I'm cruising now, but my old ghost pony is calling me, I can't figure out if I have a brain tumor. Hint: I had the F650CS for ten years. Now in Maine either you go around the suburbs of Portland for an hour or two, or you go to Bangor, which involves I-95 at least one-way because you don't have all day to go 130 miles one way. I watched the Russian cops roadtesting this G310R and they seem to have a lot of fun, but they were just driving around suburbs, stopping at a lot of lights.
I started comparing, the KTM 390, the V-strom 650 (this is all on-line), and I ended up back here. My dealer, whom I've known 35 years, said to me the other month, "It's just too much," when I said something about the K75 having more cylinders, more pieces, more weight. Well, now I remember how I got the F650CS, basically a leap of whimsy which came together exactly as wished-upon-a-star, so I couldn't really say "no". Also come to think of it, that's how I got the K75, like, the guy who sold it to me announced the morning I got crashed he was selling it, so one of the first lucid thoughts I had thereafter was that this was the reason the other guy had cut me off and near tore my head off. As they say in Maine. So now, the G310R coming along might look like a test-version of a third revelation. So I guess I'd better wait and see. But it doesn't hurt, maybe it helps, to review things, which is what I'm doing here. I forgot to add the guy selling the K75, aside from having military lineage, not that I can see the relevance of that, asked almost exactly what the collision insurance paid me, and I didn't even realize I had collision coverage all these years. But another club member said the K75 could have cost me what the G310R, as it turns out (no way he would have known that nor cared), costs new. One thing: it's nice to buy new or low-mileage, single-owner, owned by a retired FBI agent who never went over 55 most likely.

Well.... Welcome to the forums !
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

If you're still pining for the F650CS then the BMW G310 GS may be the one for you once it's out. Specs aren't out yet and it may not have as much power on paper as other touring/adventure bikes but that's just paper. How it rides and how much fun it is will be the deciding factor in the end.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page