Newbie Dilemma - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Dilemma

Hello all,

I live in Vancouver BC. I don't have my riding license yet and have never ridden a motorcycle. I plan to get my riding license soon.

My question is that after a lot of research lots of sites suggest to buy a used motorcycle as a first bike.

My question is since the price point for bikes such as G310R are fairly competitive and low and the bike is not very powerful and weighs quite light, would you all suggest it to be someone's first bike? I read a lot on how a noob will drop the bike because they didn't put the stand right etc, but i am guessing these drops can be avoided by just being extra careful.

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
angiedave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

It would be great for a first bike. Dropping a bike because you didn't put the stand down right had nothing to do with being a new rider. That's just being dumb.
angiedave likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Get a cheap, used bike and use it to figure out what kinds of riding you enjoy. Then go out and buy the bike you really want. Unless you completely trash it, you'll be able to (almost) recoup the cost of that first, used bike. So you won't be short on cash when you decide to buy what you really want.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moe View Post
It would be great for a first bike. Dropping a bike because you didn't put the stand down right had nothing to do with being a new rider. That's just being dumb.
Thanks. Yeah comments such as these did not make sense to me. There are old bikes still going for around 2K or more so it is getting confusing to whether buy new or used. Leaning towards this great bike though.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:06 PM

I think too this bike is perfectly suitable for a new rider. It's probably the principal market it aims for. If you have the budget to go for it, then go. It is a very good deal.
angiedave likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Get a cheap, used bike and use it to figure out what kinds of riding you enjoy. Then go out and buy the bike you really want. Unless you completely trash it, you'll be able to (almost) recoup the cost of that first, used bike. So you won't be short on cash when you decide to buy what you really want.
Thank you. In terms or riding, i have got over the phase when i used to dig sports bikes. I am 38 now and my main purpose would be to ride the bike to work around town and to close towns like Whistler BC, enjoy the curvy roads, all during summer time. More of cruising than anything else.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
I think too this bike is perfectly suitable for a new rider. It's probably the principal market it aims for. If you have the budget to go for it, then go. It is a very good deal.
Thanks. Budget wise should be ok. I am just skeptical about the dropping part. Though i don't know if ppl usually drop bikes due to weight constraints etc. As newbies. I am hoping drops can be avoided by being extra careful.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM

The bike is low and relatively light, has a smooth and predictable power delivery, all that makes it easy to maneuver and beginner-friendly. A used bike not fitting those criteria will be more prone to drop. I don't recall dropping my first bike, yes - probably because I was super careful. I've dropped a subsequent bike, this time probably because of over confidence and dumbness.
angiedave likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The bike is low and relatively light, has a smooth and predictable power delivery, all that makes it easy to maneuver and beginner-friendly. A used bike not fitting those criteria will be more prone to drop. I don't recall dropping my first bike, yes - probably because I was super careful. I've dropped a subsequent bike, this time probably because of over confidence and dumbness.
This give me confidence in splurging a bit extra and getting a new bike. I was also looking at ducati scrambler 62 but i think ill save some $$ by going with 310r and using some $$ on nice gear.

Over confidence does get to you lol but it's all good. Thanks for the encouraging input.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Are you planning to change sprockets and some of other usual bits people usually do or are you really that content with the G310R?

Thanks for all your feedback so far, its been useful to me and many others here, now we need more heaps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page