7Likes
  • 4 Post By WillyR50S
  • 2 Post By WillyR50S
  • 1 Post By heap

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Service Indicator ON?

Hey guys,

So I was updating my dash clock for daylight savings today, and while holding the button down to access/escape setup mode, the service indicator appeared. I had my first service done about 200 miles ago (didn't get the indicator before then) so maybe it wasn't reset? - but seems too much of a coincidence that it happened to appear while I was adjusting the dash. No other warning lights of any kind and I can't get it to go away with the same steps.

Anybody else seen this behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM

I'm the other way around. Performed the 1st maintenance myself, was expecting the light to comes ON, but still not showing up and I'm passed the 2000 km mark now. Go figure....
In your case, just go back to the dealer, like you say they might have skipped that step while working on your bike. Once it's ON, I'm not aware of any method to turn it off besides having BMW diagnosis system hooked to it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 AM

As a former motorcycle mechanic from the 1960's, I have always done all the routine maintenance on my bikes (and cars). I do not need a reminder to do the oil change! As far as I know, every bike manufacturer except BMW has built in a capability for the owner to reset the service reminder on FI bikes with a few button pushes, even the new Royal Enfield Himalayan..

There are areas in the US where traveling from your home to an authorized dealer is a long distance ordeal and it is ridiculous to make the long trip for something as routine as an oil/filter change which may be performed by the owner. If I lived in one of those areas, I guess I would just ignore the indicator, because I am very particular about keeping records of when I change oil and filters.

I do know that the service reminder is re-settable on the BMW automobiles. If there is an inbuilt capability for resetting the service reminder indicator on the G310, the procedure should freely be made available to owners. I will email BMW Motorrad and see what information they can or will provide and report back to the forum ASAP.
heap, pcjojy, G0MYW and 1 others like this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM

Reset Service Reminder

I reached a dead end. Contacted BMW USA via email and was politely referred back to a retail dealer to get details on how to reset the service reminder. I had already talked to a dealer and he had asked me to contact BMW corporate because he only knew of the procedure with the BMW diagnostic device. This apparently means that the only way to reset the service reminder is to take it to the dealer. I am disappointed with this situation, but apparently there is nothing that I can do about it. As a former mechanic, I am accustomed to doing all my own maintenance on cars as well as my motorcycles unless it is paid for under warranty. To me, it seems that the service reminder is for the owner, not the manufacturer.! I am not sure where to go with this. I could try to get in touch with Edgar Heinrich in Germany, but quite likely he would tell me the same. For now, I will just ignore the service reminder and keep exact records of my maintenance activities.

Perhaps this is why they will not provide the center stand...they do not want the owner doing routine chain maintenance when the dealer could profit from the service. I just am not sure.

If I had enough disposable cash to buy a 1200S, I suspect that I would not be complaining about having the dealer carry out maintenance, but I am retired on fixed income which is why I bought a less expensive machine.

As this is the first move for BMW into the low cost market segment since the late 1940's, I think that they should be aware that a lot of G310 owners are here because we do not have great gobs of money to hand over to BMW mechanics for routine maintenance and they should make adjustments to their traditional demands to get the machine serviced at expensive BMW service outlets for routine service activities such as oil and filter changes.
pcjojy and oldtimer.ca like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:00 AM

I totally get your point. On most recent cars I had, there is such a warning for oil change or maintenance interval and the end-user can turn the warning off using a simple procedure (with the ignition key and gas pedal set to a certain position, etc.). The procedure is not that much of a secret and usually even printed in the owner's manual.

I agree a check-engine or a mechanical fault would deserve a visit to the dealer, but a reminder to do the maintenance, not in my books. No problem by showing me a reminder, thanks for that, but no thanks for not making me able to turn if off after I've done the said maintenance.

On other models of BMW you can use a tool called GS911 which allows to control certain parameters and turn off such warnings. Unfortunately #1: the G310x series is not supported yet, and unfortunately #2: it remains a very costly tool if you just want to perform this very basic kind of task with it. ($400?!)
WillyR50S likes this.

'18 G310R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:06 AM

Yes...I would certainly let the dealer fix a computer or sensor problem which would most likely require the diagnostic device. But as far as routine normal maintenance, I want to be the one to carry that out and I want to be able to reset the service reminder when the oil and filter is replaced. I hope that BMW sees our messages and takes note. My dealer is a pretty fair distance from where I live and to travel there and then pay them 50 or 60 $dollars to reset the "oil change minder" indicator does not make much sense to me....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Garage
OK - so turns out I hadn't had enough coffee that day. Discovered I had accidentally added a year to the clock when I was adjusting it. I rolled the year back to 2018 and the service light magically went out. DOH!

On the plus side, I realized this while in the shower - so I didn't have to go to the dealer and embarrass myself.

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues with self-servicing - I guess the indicator watches the odo and/or the days-since-last-service to trigger the service 'light' - rolling back the odo is probably not good form
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
OK - so turns out I hadn't had enough coffee that day. Discovered I had accidentally added a year to the clock when I was adjusting it. I rolled the year back to 2018 and the service light magically went out. DOH!

On the plus side, I realized this while in the shower - so I didn't have to go to the dealer and embarrass myself.

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues with self-servicing - I guess the indicator watches the odo and/or the days-since-last-service to trigger the service 'light' - rolling back the odo is probably not good form
There are many things to think about while in the shower....
But the realization of what you did to your bike to activate the service reminder, well that's just brilliant.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page