Many Newbie questions - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
Many Newbie questions

Hi all. Second week for my bike, still grinning from ear to ear. Got my first "cool bike" comment today.
Just refueled for the first time. Going to be fun paying $10 for a full tank. I'm used to paying $60 and getting 14mpg with my V8 truck.
Caliornia's average gas price is $3.50 per gallon. Anyhow, I haven't had the luxury of many years on a true motorcycle, so initially you are going to see me asking
some Duhh! questions. Apologies in advance.

1: When shifting, do you shift at certain rpm's or speeds? Do you shift by ear? I drive stick shift and always shift by ear.

2: Obviously you can't redline the bike while breaking it in. But so far the max speed I have attained is 70mph/113kph.
for a few Mins. I'm not looking to be a speed demon. And 70 will probably be the max speed I will ever go while I have the bike.
I just want to know at this very early point in the bike's engine life, will it be 'comfortable' with that speed?
I'm not going to 70 from a standing start either. I reach 70 when merging on the freeway and the occasional spurt from 65 to pass.
A side note: In 2 weeks I will be riding 80 miles each way. Although 60 of that is on roads that don't go over 50, I will be on the
freeway for 20 miles. Ok to be at 70 for those 20 miles?

3: When shutting down the bike there is some residual 'work' going on within the instrument cluster for a a few secs.
Is that something that the bike does each time it shuts down? Whirring and clicking.

4: Does the MRA windsreen help with the wind force? From previous experience with this type of windscreen I called it a bug screen.
That style of screen didnt help me at all on previous bikes, and I ended up getting a tall windscreen. Obviously I'm not going to do
that with the G310R.

5. I'm probably going to get bar end mirrors. Can't see enough with the stock mirrors. Any recommendations ?

6: Also any recommendations for a replacement seat, comfort wise. I will be the sole rider.

7: On my previous bikes I replaced some bulbs with LED's. I would like to also make my turn signals on the G310R more visible. Thoughts on that?

Sorry for the long post. Finally, I have an HFC Full Face helmet. But I should like to replace it. Any thoughts on a helmet?

Thank you so much for reading my very long post, and I eagerly await your many responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:59 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
#1 by ear and feel for me
#2 Perfectly acceptable it cruses very nicely at 68 to 72 all day long
#3 Yes normal
#4 Yes a good windscreen will help alot at freeway speeds with comfort and feel
#5 I wont use bar end mirrors in California they increase the width of the bike and with lane splitting I want as narrow as possible.
#6 after riding over 4500 miles in 13 days I am going to take my seat to a custom house and have it redone.
#7 headlamp yes . turn signal waste of time and money in my opinion no one in california looks at them or cares
lastly nope get what you can afford and like.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
On the helmet issue I have a Cycle Gear Brand Bilt Evolution 2 modular helmet with built in Sena Bluetooth system that works great and is relatively inexpensive $229 when I got mine on sale. It is DOT approved and is comfortable for long trips.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 PM

I got bar end mirrors because the vibration at highway speeds was so bad they were basically useless. The bar ends work much better for my needs. I live in Louisiana and we can't legally lane split here anyway. The headlight question. I tried an LED headlight bulb and it didn't put out enough light for me even with the high beam on. I ended up buying a Sylvania Silver Star Ultra H4 bulb. It puts out way more light than the LED or OEM bulb. I ride to work and leave at 3am and I always ride with the high beam on. No one ever flashes their lights at me to signal the lights are blinding them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zente View Post
On the helmet issue I have a Cycle Gear Brand Bilt Evolution 2 modular helmet with built in Sena Bluetooth system that works great and is relatively inexpensive $229 when I got mine on sale. It is DOT approved and is comfortable for long trips.
I bought the same helmet for the Bluetooth and wanted a modular helmet. Mine is matte black. Surprisingly the wind noise is less on the modular helmet than my Bilt full face Raptor helmet. I notice it does have less angle to the front profile that the full face

Last edited by Tactical_r3dn3ck; 05-02-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM

4: Does the MRA windsreen help with the wind force? From previous experience with this type of windscreen I called it a bug screen.
That style of screen didnt help me at all on previous bikes, and I ended up getting a tall windscreen. Obviously I'm not going to do
that with the G310R.

I've got an MRA windscreen and it keeps the wind off my torso, but I didn't buy it for that I bought it for the looks. If you want wind deflection I would go bigger.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 PM

On my K75 I bought the European version of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra H4 bulb. It's illegal here but BRIGHT...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
Thanks guys for all your responses..
I am going to get a new helmet and headlight bulb. Might just replace the mirrors altogether.

> Hey Zente, I'm in Norcal now, but back in the late 70's I lived in Pala, near Temecula.
When Temecula was a one horse town. Used to go to a club in Escondido called the Time Machine.
Might be before your time, pun intended. Then in the late 80's I lived in La Mesa. San Diego was a blast back then..

Clear skies & tail winds!

Mark H.
Sacramento, CA
KSAC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Garage
Thumbs up

1) After a while it becomes second nature.
2) 70 mph for 20 miles should be a problem for the bike, you might find it a bit buzzy for a while, I do but I'm used to a big twin that's turning over at about half the rpms for any given road speed when in top gear.
3) Yes and when starting up too.
4) What works for one person might not work for another, my 'R will remain as it is for the time being.
5) I don't like bar end mirrors, I don't like the look of them or the fact they make the bike wider than it needs to be, not good for traffic filtering between lanes etc.
6) No, I find the standard seat fine so far, the longest I've ridden without getting off is just over an hour.
7) Haven't changed mine yet, but if/when I do it'll be for a Osram Night Racer 110, used them before, they are brighter but use the same power but have a shorter life, I've just replaced the one on my main bike after 4 years, 20,000 miles.

On the helmet, buy what you feel comfortable in and fits you well, wear it round the shop for a good 15 mins, walk around in it and see how it feels, remember it wont get tighter!

Hope that helps?

Let us know how you get on, it all adds to the collective knowledge about G310's.

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page