Blowing Gas Station Attendants Minds - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
ron

Blowing Gas Station Attendants Minds

A little backstory for those who don't know: Unless you're in a rural county, Oregon requires gas station attendants to pump your gas for you (a ridiculous thing which I've gotten used to). However, if you ride a motorcycle, the attendants will swipe your card in the machine and then hand you the fuel nozzle (which is somewhat better, but you still have to stand around and wait for them to come start the pump for you).

When I took delivery of my G310R, my sales rep told me that the U.S. version of this bike is rated for regular (87 octane) fuel. Since then I've filled up four times at four different stations. Three of those times, I asked for regular, and without fail, each time the attendant (in a very concerned tone of voice) asked me are you SURE you don't want premium???.

I'm not sure why, but its extremely satisfying seeing the look of horror spread across their faces, as if I am somehow ruining my shiny new bike. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I did fill up with premium one time, but there was no noticeable difference in performance or fuel economy. At any rate, if you ride (or ever plan to ride) in Oregon, be prepared for looks of bewilderment as you fill this magical BMW unicorn with the fuel equivalent of Bud Lite.
Mporter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 AM

I recently visited my dealer for the R's first service and thought,since it was a reasonable day weather wise, I'd return the long way to back home.About 70 miles.I got to about 50 miles into the journey along a motorway,(battling a headwind) and realised I was running low on fuel. I took a turning off the motorway and went back in time to the 1950's Britain!. I approached a little village and there on the corner was a garage with two shall we say elderly petrol pumps.The garage was like a small hanger with the door open and a little tiny office next to it.Out walked a man in his fifties wearing oily blue overalls (coveralls) wiping the oil off his hands with a rag as he walked towards me. It was like a scene from some American 40's movie!.I got off the bike and said hello and he asked how much I wanted and he filled the bike up.I went with him into the tiny office and paid. Now this story might not be interesting to people outside the UK but here,(IMHO) a petrol pump attendant a rarity, and the practice of a petrol pump attendant ended years ago.At least in my neck of the woods. What a pleasant surprise! because normally, here in NE England, you have to do it yourself, and often when filling up your bike or car, the nozzle handle is filthy, especially if your car is a diesel.You also have to sidestep patches of (probably) diesel on the floor.
So, IMHO,I for one,wish we still had gas station attendants here in the uk.
maxibarrios and Dave like this.

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM

I've always filled up with Premium. If im not mistaken the owners manual says to use atleast 91 octane.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 PM

In Malaysia if paying in cash you must pay in advance before filling the bike.. I always get asked "are you sure you want 95 and not premium 97" when I'm filling the BMW310...they think I'm mad filling a premium bike with such a low grade fuel HAHA.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I recently visited my dealer for the R's first service and thought,since it was a reasonable day weather wise, I'd return the long way to back home.About 70 miles.I got to about 50 miles into the journey along a motorway,(battling a headwind) and realised I was running low on fuel. I took a turning off the motorway and went back in time to the 1950's Britain!. I approached a little village and there on the corner was a garage with two shall we say elderly petrol pumps.The garage was like a small hanger with the door open and a little tiny office next to it.Out walked a man in his fifties wearing oily blue overalls (coveralls) wiping the oil off his hands with a rag as he walked towards me. It was like a scene from some American 40's movie!.I got off the bike and said hello and he asked how much I wanted and he filled the bike up.I went with him into the tiny office and paid. Now this story might not be interesting to people outside the UK but here,(IMHO) a petrol pump attendant a rarity, and the practice of a petrol pump attendant ended years ago.At least in my neck of the woods. What a pleasant surprise! because normally, here in NE England, you have to do it yourself, and often when filling up your bike or car, the nozzle handle is filthy, especially if your car is a diesel.You also have to sidestep patches of (probably) diesel on the floor.
So, IMHO,I for one,wish we still had gas station attendants here in the uk.
in Greece there are still attendants in every petrol station. although i understand your nostalgic feelings, believe me, i would rather fill my bike by myself. these guys are most of the times, SOOO careless with the hose, spilling gasoline all over the tank (i almost have a heart attack every time i refuel ). i seriously consider filling a gas canister instead of the bike.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_r3dn3ck View Post
I've always filled up with Premium. If im not mistaken the owners manual says to use atleast 91 octane.
At least in the case of the G310GS, you are mistaken. 87 AKI is regular gas here in the States. You get no advantage at all running (and paying for) premium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 10.47.47 AM.png
Views:	146
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	8201  
RichA likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
in Greece there are still attendants in every petrol station. although i understand your nostalgic feelings, believe me, i would rather fill my bike by myself. these guys are most of the times, SOOO careless with the hose, spilling gasoline all over the tank (i almost have a heart attack every time i refuel ). i seriously consider filling a gas canister instead of the bike.
How right you are my friend...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_r3dn3ck View Post
I think WoodWorks is right; the US version of octane is the lower number (AKI). European pumps use the higher numbers (RON) for the same gas.

The compression on the 310's motor isn't very high (10.6:1 versus, say, the 12.5:1 on the RT), so it shouldn't be at risk for knock or detonation.

So, regular gas should be fine.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a jerry (20L) that I fill up and use to refuel my bike, I normally get 3 refills out of it (as there's always about 4L left in the tank when the fuel light comes on).

I use premium as I think there is a difference in performance and economy, and the cold start issues seem to have disappeared since using premium.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM

In the US single hose pumps are normal. There is gas in the hose from the previous use. My fill-ups when the orange light comes on have been very close to 2 gallons. I think I am getting whatever is in the hose regardless of what I buy. When I pump twenty or thirty gallons the amount in the hose is insignificant. (I only put that much in my Diesel truck) The non-ethanol has a separate hose as does the Diesel otherwise the buyer would get contaminated fuel.

Bob

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page