Accident - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
Accident

Well, yesterday I was in heavy traffic on the cross town freeway. Far left lane. 4 lanes. Stop and go traffic. Anyhow, I have a space tween me and the car ahead. Suddenly a car in the next lane over, to my right filled the space in front of me. Then the car in front of him stopped. He hit and stopped, I came to a stop on a dime but me and and the bike dropped to the ground on our left. 2 burly guys stopped and got the bike off my leg. The vehicle that had the accident took off. Anyhow, damage is as follows:
MRA windscreen broken. Left signal busted. Clutch lever scraped. Left handlebar grip scraped. Scratches on tank. Riders foot peg broken off. Left Shad side case rack scraped. Shad top case scratched and lock busted.
My damage? Some scratches and bruises. But no broken bones. What really pissed me off is that the woman who was hit by the disappearing car told her insurance I hit her. But as you can see by the damage of her car and the condition of my wheel and fairing, that's crap. Anyhow my insurance also said its crap so I'm not liable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1709_1527713719092.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	9417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_103150_1527713743224.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	9425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_103154_1527713759147.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	9433  

Clear skies & tail winds!

Mark H.
Sacramento, CA
KSAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 PM

sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you only had superficial injuries. I know its sort of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but have you considered using a discreet helmet cam? I'm not talking about expensive ones,I have a Chinese knock off of a Sena Tube,
It records for about an hour and half. It cost about £29 for the camera, about £11 for the micro sd card and I bought the actual SENA helmet bracket, and this Chinese cam fits perfectly.You can have it on loop record if you want.As soon as I finish riding and come in the the house I plug it in for a couple of hours to recharge. The quality is quite good, well good enough for you to have got the incident. Stupid people, I hate busy traffic and try to avoid city centres, there is always one driver- " i didnt' see him officer" last time he had an eye test was after WWII.
I hope it doesn't take too much to put right.
angiedave likes this.

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 PM

First off: Glad you're ok. It's a scary feeling and you can't just pick up your bike and chase people down like you were in a car or truck. Sucks!

Second: I can totally sympathize because I, too, was involved in a hit and run THREE DAYS after owning my Strato Blue G310R. Knocked me off my bike so hard I was in pain for two weeks! All is well and I've put more miles on the bike now.

Now for the damage: When I was hit it broke my left panel - where the 310 decal is - and clutch. Easy-peasy. I replaced the brake and clutch with gold handles from PUIG. A little over $200 for the handles and mounts - you HAVE to buy the mounts. They work great and adjustable.

For the paint job it cost nearly $300 for an auto shop to match the paint. Paint code is N1C if anyone is wondering. I couldn't find it on the net so let me know if you can. It was around less than $600 in the end. But, my insurance covered everything there.

Again. I'm glad you're ok and nothing else serious happened. I hope that lady runs into karma and gets her end of the stick. Safe travels my friend!

PS - get a GoPro or some kind of camera and attach it to your helmet or bike. I have one on my bike AND helmet. It's always about proving it's not your fault.
angiedave likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
So sorry this happened to you Mark, what a bummer. As we say in Holland: accidents hide in small corners. At least you're ok. Good luck with the aftermath.
Defender likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
Yes it is little late. But I am looking for a camera. Any suggestions?
The Contour Roam2 looks good but sucks at night..

Mark
Defender likes this.

Clear skies & tail winds!

Mark H.
Sacramento, CA
KSAC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a gopro session which I have mounted on the front brake reservoir, this is discrete and works quite well but only has a front facing view (can be twisted sideways if you use a swivel ball mount). If you're after a helmet mounted cam you could get better cameras (I just didn't want to mount anything to my helmet).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:48 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
I use a GoPro Hero 5 Black and have a couple extra batteries and a large 128GB memory card in it. I have it mounted to my helmet chin area, dead center, just below the visor so its not visible to me, but sees what I see. I set it to loop record that way I dont worry about running out of memory. Worth every penny if an accident occurs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM

The new GoPro Heros are $200 (there are two models) and accept 128GB MicroSD cards. I get about 4 hours on the card, but a little over an hour on the battery. I also bought extra Wasabi batteries that came with a multi-charger. I have the GoPro set to 1440P at 60FPS on wide. That gives me 4 hours of video on the card. My GoPro Hero 6 is on 2700K at 60FPS and gives me a little over 2 hours on the video card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the mount I use. So far so good.

https://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/...01-master.html

This is the $200 GoPro Hero model. I stuck with the GoPro because of the voice commands. You can start and stop recording, switch to from video to camera mode, and take stills. Also, turn on and off the camera by voice commands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	9489  
Defender likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 AM

Here's my £29 Chinese knock off helmet (see my other above post) cam mounted with a Sena bracket to my summer helmet.
Works fine for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helmet cam.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	9497  

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Garage
Esa1178,
The main thing is that you are okay.
The rest .... is plastic and metal and replaceable.
Oh yes, it will cost you some money but better pay then not be able to tell the story.
Ligkonakos and ResQSonny81 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page