MRA windscreen - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

MRA windscreen

Can someone send me pictures of your MRA windscreen mounting bracket, screws & washer? I don’t understand the instructions or the order of how you put screws, washers & spacers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Barabas View Post
Can someone send me pictures of your MRA windscreen mounting bracket, screws & washer? I donít understand the instructions or the order of how you put screws, washers & spacers.
By the looks of your picture you have an R?
When I swapped out my OEM windshield on my GS, it was straight forward remove and replace.
Rubber grommets from one shield to the other. Metal sleeves through the grommets, plastic washers
and screws from the front, and careful not to overtighten the screws.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:16 PM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
I just mounted what I believe to be the same MRA small screen, and it took a lot of head scratching before I figured out how to mount the thing. The directions are for the most part rather useless, and the photos are too small and low contrast. First of all the two brackets shown in the photo show flange along the long side of each the bracket facing upward. In fact the flanges should face downward and positioned to the outside (away from the bike center line).

Remove the top (front most) two handle bar mounting bolts, and loosen the rear two. Insert the two nylon spacers, set the mounting brackets on top of the spacers and tighten using the two longer bolts provided.

If you look into the rubber threaded pieces you'll notice that the tthreads at one end are flush while at the other end they're nowhere near being flush. It's the "flush end" that goes into the mounting brackets - from the rear. Push them into the four screen mounting holes (from the rear side of the bracket) just far enough that the rubber is flush with the bracket's front surface. It may look funny because the rubber sticks out from the back side and the collar ends up being away from the bracket itself. The rubber surrounding the "nuts" allows some compression making the screws less likely to vibrate loose.

It also helps if you assemble the hex screws, washers and little O rings into the windscreen mounting holes before placing the screen onto the brackets. Tighten all the screws just to the point where there is friction then align everything to your satisfaction and tighten everything snugly. Finally install the beading around the edge of the screen an gently squeeze the clips at each end.

My two cents or probably too many words but it worked for me and I'm pleased with the screen.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 AM

I had the same issue. The brackets in the pic are swapped left to right. Loose mount them and you'll see it works with the spacers.

I LOVE the look of the screen and it flows nicely with the bikes lines. Some of my coworkers didn't even notice it for a few days.

BUT. It doesn't really work for me for wind and I am short. Takes it all off my chest (isn't really horrible anyways) but my helmet is still full on in the wind. Looking at trying to find some sort of better strip for the top edge to make the cone just a little bit bigger.

For now I've removed it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MAN View Post
I had the same issue. The brackets in the pic are swapped left to right. Loose mount them and you'll see it works with the spacers.

I LOVE the look of the screen and it flows nicely with the bikes lines. Some of my coworkers didn't even notice it for a few days.

BUT. It doesn't really work for me for wind and I am short. Takes it all off my chest (isn't really horrible anyways) but my helmet is still full on in the wind. Looking at trying to find some sort of better strip for the top edge to make the cone just a little bit bigger.

For now I've removed it.
E Bay has lots of "motorcycle windshield extenders". I paid $26 shipped to my door.
Clamps to the top lip of most screens and has an angular adjustability.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM

Looking at some of those now. Even if the MRA had some sort of small kick at the top it would help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page