Side Stand Recall - Page 9 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
Porth: “got my sidestand replaced today on my 310R, took about 3 hours. Apparently they had to machine (ream?) part of the frame to make the new sidestand fit”.

Question, didn’t they repainted the frame where they changed the side stand?
The repair of my side stand took also a few hours but because of the repaint of the frame they needed some time extra (to let the ain’t dry).
Maby it is warmer in australia 😜
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Well here is another one. I have bought and paid for a 310GS. It's still being registered at the dealers so have not received it. I realised its was built in April 08 and so it may have the recall. Am not sure how to check for the vin in my region. However i talked to BMW in Kenya and they confirmed that yes this was a recall bike and that they needed to do the repair on it. Next week the bike should be registered and so ready to pick. My question is should i accept the bike if the side stand repair on it has not been done? BTW the dealer is 300 miles away.
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Hi, Well i'm in the same state, brought and paid for my 92017) G310R today from a dealer, it also has a pending recall In March by BMW. Bike is being delivered on Thursday, but I will take to BMW in March for the recall.
I don't regard as a problem as the recall is free and any work will be guaranteed by BM....Luckally for me the BM dealer is near to my house than the bike dealer
post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKenya View Post
Well here is another one. I have bought and paid for a 310GS. It's still being registered at the dealers so have not received it. I realised its was built in April 08 and so it may have the recall. Am not sure how to check for the vin in my region. However i talked to BMW in Kenya and they confirmed that yes this was a recall bike and that they needed to do the repair on it. Next week the bike should be registered and so ready to pick. My question is should i accept the bike if the side stand repair on it has not been done? BTW the dealer is 300 miles away.
If they will pick up and deliver the bike to do the recall work (not likely) then yes. Otherwise, and assuming you are not dependent on getting the bike soon, I would have them do the rework before going that distance to pick it up. But since you already paid for it, they will have less incentive to do it quickly, I suppose.
JPKenya likes this.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
Porth: “got my sidestand replaced today on my 310R, took about 3 hours. Apparently they had to machine (ream?) part of the frame to make the new sidestand fit”.

Question, didn’t they repainted the frame where they changed the side stand?
The repair of my side stand took also a few hours but because of the repaint of the frame they needed some time extra (to let the ain’t dry).
Maby it is warmer in australia 😜

I'm 98% sure that they didn't repaint any part of it. I'll check it out later and let you know if they did.
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Has the side stand recall been made for all G310 bikes ? ie both GS and R models.

Is there an easy way to tell if the work has been done or do I contact the dealer .
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDuke View Post
Has the side stand recall been made for all G310 bikes ? ie both GS and R models.

Is there an easy way to tell if the work has been done or do I contact the dealer .
Only the older bikes require the recall, check with your dealer if your bike needs the recall, there may even be a register in your country for recalls, here in Australia there is a government site for all recalls, you can look up BMW, find the 310 and check out all of the affected vin numbers.
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Received a message in January that the dealer had the repair parts necessary to address the side stand recall. I took it in to the dealer last Saturday and received a call on Tuesday that when the current stand was removed it was clear that the frame was cracked. I purchased the bike in January 2018 and have about 3,400 miles on it. So my bike is being disassembled with parts presumably stored in a crate or something, then the old frame has to be cut with the part of the frame with the VIN number then shipped to BMW, after which BMW will fashion and ship a new frame with the original VIN to my dealer. Expected time to completion is somewhere around the end of April. Aye yi yi...

Gerald Massey
Brush Prairie, WA

'18 Red G310GS
'10 R1200RT
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:44 AM

I am thinking of downsizing to the BMW G310R and I have been following the side stand recalls and are concerned that the problem has not been corrected at the factory in the production line since it was identified and a recall was issued to all BMW dealers. I have asked my UK dealership if all the new stock for 2019 has had the problem fixed which would be the case with past problems on other German built BMWs but the answer I get is never encouraging even when I asked if the Racing Red model built after the recall has been modified at the factory to rectify the defect at the source. I also find its unbelievable that a manufacturer like BMW who has been building motorcycles since 1923 and like many manufacturers no longer provide a main stand on their motorcycles could allow such a bad design to get past post production and be continued after the problems with the stand was reported back from the UK dealers. I accept problems do happen especially in the first year on a new model and UK BMW are very prompt in notifying customers and updating any bike that comes in for a service or is to be sold from the second hand stock as their BMW computer system contains all the details of any BMW sold by their dealers including service history and warranty work required by BMW. I will be asking this question again at my dealers and checking the VIN number on the bikes in the showroom to see if they are new stock and if the problem has been fixed. I did hear there was a Stop Notice that was applied to all sales of the 310 models in the UK until the side stand problem had a post factory fix by the dealers this was last year I would expect the new 2019 models have factory build changes.
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
I am thinking of downsizing to the BMW G310R and I have been following the side stand recalls and are concerned that the problem has not been corrected at the factory in the production line since it was identified and a recall was issued to all BMW dealers. I have asked my UK dealership if all the new stock for 2019 has had the problem fixed which would be the case with past problems on other German built BMWs but the answer I get is never encouraging even when I asked if the Racing Red model built after the recall has been modified at the factory to rectify the defect at the source. I also find its unbelievable that a manufacturer like BMW who has been building motorcycles since 1923 and like many manufacturers no longer provide a main stand on their motorcycles could allow such a bad design to get past post production and be continued after the problems with the stand was reported back from the UK dealers. I accept problems do happen especially in the first year on a new model and UK BMW are very prompt in notifying customers and updating any bike that comes in for a service or is to be sold from the second hand stock as their BMW computer system contains all the details of any BMW sold by their dealers including service history and warranty work required by BMW. I will be asking this question again at my dealers and checking the VIN number on the bikes in the showroom to see if they are new stock and if the problem has been fixed. I did hear there was a Stop Notice that was applied to all sales of the 310 models in the UK until the side stand problem had a post factory fix by the dealers this was last year I would expect the new 2019 models have factory build changes.
As far as I know, any G310 (R or GS) manufactured AFTER 05/19/2018 has a new/different frame and so is NOT concerned by the recall.

Ref: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V408-3415.pdf
G0MYW likes this.

'18 G310R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page