Side Stand Recall - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
Side Stand Recall

I have a question regarding the Side Stand Recall for the G310R.
Is it really a defective and weak part? Or is this a recall because people are putting their left leg and full weight on the peg
when mounting the bike and with the Side Stand down, compromising it and breaking it?
I'm not sure if I'm going to take advantage of this recall, Since, Without the cases on, I swing my right leg over.

Or with the cases on, do a little hop with my left leg and put my right directly over the seat, then use my lower body to pull the
bike upright, before raising the Side Stand. I only intend to keep the bike for the full 36 months of the warranty anyhow.
Moving onto a Touring model.

Mark

Clear skies & tail winds!

Mark H.
Sacramento, CA
KSAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Side Stand Recall

I emailed my dealer today concerning this recall since I own both the G310R and G310GS. I received the following answer from my dealer. I hope this clears up some of the concerns we all have as owners of the 310 models.

"At this time the recall has been issued on all 310 models produced before April, so both of your bikes will be included in the recall. They do not yet have a remedy for the issue, but the last I heard they were hoping to have a fix by mid to late July. The recall is being listed as a "stop-sale" rather than a "stop-ride", which means that BMW does not view it as a reason to not be riding your bikes.You will be receiving letters addressing the issue for both bikes, and as soon as the solution is available and sent out to dealerships".
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa1178 View Post
I have a question regarding the Side Stand Recall for the G310R.
Is it really a defective and weak part? Or is this a recall because people are putting their left leg and full weight on the peg
when mounting the bike and with the Side Stand down, compromising it and breaking it?
I'm not sure if I'm going to take advantage of this recall, Since, Without the cases on, I swing my right leg over.

Or with the cases on, do a little hop with my left leg and put my right directly over the seat, then use my lower body to pull the
bike upright, before raising the Side Stand. I only intend to keep the bike for the full 36 months of the warranty anyhow.
Moving onto a Touring model.

Mark
It's not just because of folks putting extra weight/strain on it. The bikes weight/defect alone is apparently causing the issues. And the danger is not just of your bike toppling over while parked but coming apart while you are riding too. So if your bike is part of the recall, i would definitely take it in.

Last edited by sunster; 06-29-2018 at 08:55 PM.
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to esa1178
I'll wait for the letter..

Have a nice weekend everyone

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charlie.Brown_.mailbox.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	10126  

Clear skies & tail winds!

Mark H.
Sacramento, CA
KSAC
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOMAN View Post
I emailed my dealer today concerning this recall since I own both the G310R and G310GS. I received the following answer from my dealer. I hope this clears up some of the concerns we all have as owners of the 310 models.

"At this time the recall has been issued on all 310 models produced before April, so both of your bikes will be included in the recall. They do not yet have a remedy for the issue, but the last I heard they were hoping to have a fix by mid to late July. The recall is being listed as a "stop-sale" rather than a "stop-ride", which means that BMW does not view it as a reason to not be riding your bikes.You will be receiving letters addressing the issue for both bikes, and as soon as the solution is available and sent out to dealerships".
there is a fix in Canada where they have issued a official recall. on bikes that do not currently show any cracking or damage a plate is affixed to the frame and a new stand is installed, on bikes that have already broken or have a crack they replace the whole frame with a new one already reinforced and the new stand.

I am curious how they plan on doing the paper work as VIN numbers in America are assigned to the frame.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 PM

I just spoke with our dealership parts guy and he told me thatall G310's, that is R and GS will be recalled in Canada. He processed an order for a center stand for my GS three weeks ago with Twisted Throttle and as of this morning the order still shows outstanding.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazingDog View Post
I just spoke with our dealership parts guy and he told me thatall G310's, that is R and GS will be recalled in Canada. He processed an order for a center stand for my GS three weeks ago with Twisted Throttle and as of this morning the order still shows outstanding.
Speaking of Twisted Throttle, June 01st I ordered a SW Motech bash plate, knowing it was out of stock.
A week later I called and they said it would be a couple of more weeks.
A few days ago I called again and was told 6-8 more weeks before they receive them.
I cancelled out of frustration, and hope to find more choices elsewhere.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 PM

In all the cases I've seen posted where the poster's stand broke, the poster was either standing on the pegs with the bike on the stand or mounted the bike by standing on the pegs while on the stand. I would certainly have the recall done just to insure it did not happen to my bike. If you do not have the recall done you will be hounded by numerous notices and even phone calls. I still get calls about the air bag recall on my truck.

There are numerous posts about somebody else's stand breaking without full details. If the stand breaks it compromises the frame from what I have read.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I never stand on the peg or sit on the bike while it's resting on the side stand. I checked the condition of the plate etc today and it looks pretty good and all quite sturdy down there. Anyways will await the recall. Replacing the whole frame sounds like a very major job!
angiedave likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Slow View Post

There are numerous posts about somebody else's stand breaking without full details. If the stand breaks it compromises the frame from what I have read.
I am one of the “posters” on this topic. Pix in another thread. The frame is no issue in my humble opinion. That half circle of metal under the side stand mounting point is the flaw, combined with a frail, brittle metalurgy...

If it is not broken yet, a reinforcing plate would help, and may be all it needs. If it is already broken (mine), I don’t see a good quick or inexpensive fix here. Still waiting though for “official” word on the remedy...

All this is for the benefit of the forum - no challenges here...

2018 BMW G310GS
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
2014 Honda CB500x
2014 Honda CRF250L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page