G310R Temperature - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Hello, I have a 2018 G310R and have put 3500 miles on it. It has the Akrapovic Carbon fiber exhaust and I was wondering what you guys’ temperatures are. The bike runs amazing but last week I went to California City where it was like 110 and after a long run at an average of 90mph for 30 mins I pulled off to a side road where after sitting there for a few mins with the bike on idle I received a red triangle with the temperature coming up crawling from 230 all the way to 255 while I was getting back on the road to move it for air flow. Is this normal or what temperatures should I expect as normal? (Specially under heavy use and freeway speed). Should the fan kick on while on freeway? (Hasn’t had to since that day but it’s been 215 through the strips of 90mph+ I’ve done) thank you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Hey Raul

Not something that I would be surprised by at all - the engine is generating a lot of heat running at that kind of speed and length of time, but with plenty of airflow through the radiator everything is fine, even though you are reporting high ambient of ~110 F (about 43 C). As soon as you pull over, you've still got a lot of residual heat to get rid of - but you've stopped moving so there is no airflow through the radiator, and there's much less water flow around the engine because the engine is only at idle and so pumping volume is way down on what it would have been before. There's only one outcome of all this - coolant temperature is going to increase.

Your fan is only going to click on if the coolant temperature goes over the point at which BMW have set it to come on. At 90 mph, I think that the airflow through the radiator would be changed "diddle squat" by the fan coming on....

(diddle squat = zilch)

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I know these bikes are supposed to be able to be used under normal conditions and operate without much flaw, would running it 80-90 every day constitute this or am I essentially operating outside the bounds of the intended operations (basically do you think BMW had someone like me in mind when they made the bike? Because that’s all I use it for xD. {forgot to add, this was with a passenger at the high elevation of 2500ft}

Also, the main reason for my concern is that I’m afraid of running it at such conditions because if the fan is on and doing zilch, how hot is too hot, and is ambient air going to keep it fine or am I going to kill it with heat exhaustion.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Caballero View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I know these bikes are supposed to be able to be used under normal conditions and operate without much flaw, would running it 80-90 every day constitute this or am I essentially operating outside the bounds of the intended operations (basically do you think BMW had someone like me in mind when they made the bike? Because thats all I use it for xD. {forgot to add, this was with a passenger at the high elevation of 2500ft}

Also, the main reason for my concern is that Im afraid of running it at such conditions because if the fan is on and doing zilch, how hot is too hot, and is ambient air going to keep it fine or am I going to kill it with heat exhaustion.

As long as you're moving it should be fine, it only seems a problem when the bike has been idling at standstill for a while. The fan is doing 'zilch' when the bike is moving, but does make a bit of a difference when the bike is standing still.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Caballero View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I know these bikes are supposed to be able to be used under normal conditions and operate without much flaw, would running it 80-90 every day constitute this or am I essentially operating outside the bounds of the intended operations (basically do you think BMW had someone like me in mind when they made the bike? Because thats all I use it for xD. {forgot to add, this was with a passenger at the high elevation of 2500ft}

Also, the main reason for my concern is that Im afraid of running it at such conditions because if the fan is on and doing zilch, how hot is too hot, and is ambient air going to keep it fine or am I going to kill it with heat exhaustion.
To my thinking, that's pretty hard riding you're doing. Looking at gear ratios etc, 90 mph is approx 9300 rpm - with a passenger that would have to be just about flat knacker, wouldn't it? If that was my every day use, I'd be on a bigger bike.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM

I was taught over the years, cruising speed for an internal combustion engine is somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of redline. That translates to 65-75 mph. Payload according to BMW is 387 pounds. Without knowing the size of you or your pillion, I can only guess, two up riding may push this envelope. With very good oil and regular changes per BMW requirements, you may get the 36,000 miles without a rebuild, but the engine will be well worn.

I don't like the short bursts of 75+ riding I have done with this machine. I realized it was a small bike and as such should be run slower with less weight on board when I bought it and knew it met my riding requirements. There is a reason this machine costs less than half of its bigger brothers. A liter plus RT or RS would meet your needs well.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I bought this for
1)BMW(ish)
2)Look/Size
3)Price

I know I’m about to get much flak about this but I the bike I sold because this looked like a better version was a Honda Grom. I do own a S100RR 2010 but frankly I’m a small guy, I weigh 150 and my passenger weighs maybe 120?, and riding that is for pure adrenaline. The passenger seat and baggage options of the G310R along with package size are just unbeatable. I love BMW and their look,they just scream sexy to me. The 1000 is heavy and I would never dare take it where I’ve taken this, I love the roadster versatility but I’m trying to decifer if something is wrong with mine. I have 2 different ride styles. In town at 65-70 and weekends 80+. I never looked at my temperatures until after the red triangle of that fated day so I don’t know what normal is and if I’m past it. In town I get constant 180 F and it goes up to 200 with hard pulls and such but never below 180. It’s 85 outside and I’ve heard of people saying theirs is always at low temperature but never what it sits at between light to light of lighter traffic. Thanks for all the help, I love this darn thing
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Wow 90+ sustained! I live in VA, anything over 80 is reckless possible jail time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

I live in California so TEEEEEECNICALLY same but I’m not either confirming or denying it was highway use 😉
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so in case anyone is wondering:

I live in California and the temperature where im at during the summer is 100+ up to like 115 and while riding my bike hard I noticed a red triangle after pulling off to a side road. I thought I was maybe running low on coolant or it was a problem with my bike. After riding it this weekend again like a bat out of helI I realized that

1) I’m apparently oblivious to the fact that I should let the heat disperse before turning off/down the water pump and
2) The motorcycle CAN do sustained close to/up to 100mph runs for long time with no issue overheating (yes heavy wear may occur over time but no problems yet at 4,000 miles)

If anyone is wondering, the bike runs at a constant 180F under light load and can maintain it consistently, as far as going uphill, 90mph+, with passenger (so around 300lb payload MAX {I can only guess her weight but I’m 160 and no way in helI shes even close to my weight} at basically the hardest terrain/payload you could run it under normal operation) it runs at 211-216F. Whether this is normal or detrimental to the bike I am no bike fortune teller but based on my daily spirited driving I have not run into any issues. Thank you for the responses, I wanted to conclude with this note in case someone does what I did (again), turn off the bike after pulling off the freeway from a very spirited session.

Last edited by Raul Caballero; 07-15-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page