Clutch/Gearbox Break In - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Clutch/Gearbox Break In

Hey Everyone - I've got about 200 miles on my Pearl White G310R, and while the clutch/gearbox seem to be getting smoother with each ride, I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if the gearbox is just a little clunky until it's fully broken in. I find that when I'm accelerating, especially through gears 1-3, I notice that the upshifts aren't as smooth as I feel like they should be...there's no grinding, tire skidding, or anything suggesting I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't feel like its running through the gears very smoothly. Is this because the gearing is so short on our bikes? Anyone have any idea what I'm describing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Garage
My bike has 1500 miles on it now and the transmission is the smoothest it's ever been. 200 miles is nothing -- after your first service everything will feel much more slick.
angiedave, baitbox and NYC-G310R like this.

2018 BMW G310R - Strato Blue

2005 BMW 330XI - Schwarz II
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Try upshifting without using the clutch. When I shift without the clutch it doesn't even feel like I'm shifting it's so smooth.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:22 PM

Location: San Antonio, TX during winter & Moosehead Lake, ME during summer
Another alternative when upshifting is to pre-load the shift lever by putting light pressure on it before slightly rolling off the throttle and quickly pulling in the clutch just past the engagement point. Works for me and makes shifts much smoother.
angiedave likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:34 AM

B, never tried without the clutch, do you have to get rev and road speed right so that the gearbox aint left in bits behind you ?????
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrcs View Post
My bike has 1500 miles on it now and the transmission is the smoothest it's ever been. 200 miles is nothing -- after your first service everything will feel much more slick.
Thanks WMRCS...I figured that it may have something to do with the bike being very new and the break in oil's viscosity. Will post here after first service with an update on how things feel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-G310R View Post
Thanks WMRCS...I figured that it may have something to do with the bike being very new and the break in oil's viscosity. Will post here after first service with an update on how things feel.
Seriously though haha. My first 500 miles I was thinking "dang, not really the BMW I expected to ride" with all it's clunks and noises. It's a new bike after 1,000 miles, and you'll be used to the friction point of the clutch lever.

I put some eBay adjustable levers on it and it made my clutching even smoother. Suuuupppper smooth shifts now.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrcs View Post
Seriously though haha. My first 500 miles I was thinking "dang, not really the BMW I expected to ride" with all it's clunks and noises. It's a new bike after 1,000 miles, and you'll be used to the friction point of the clutch lever.

I put some eBay adjustable levers on it and it made my clutching even smoother. Suuuupppper smooth shifts now.
Can't wait to feel the same way!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiedave View Post
B, never tried without the clutch, do you have to get rev and road speed right so that the gearbox aint left in bits behind you ?????
You just need to unload it while upshifting, i.e. accelerate, then unload the throttle so it's not accelerating or engine braking and shift up, then accelerate, no clutch required.

You might want to practice in the higher gears first e.g. 4-5.

I wouldn't recommend clutchless shifting from 1st to 2nd.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post

I wouldn't recommend clutchless shifting from 1st to 2nd.
That's the most fun shift...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page