Are dealers obligated to disclose Stop Sale? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By B1011r
  • 2 Post By Tickster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Are dealers obligated to disclose Stop Sale?

There are several issues with the G310R/ GS water pump, and side stand.

The side stand issue has resulted in a Stop Sale resulting in a fix that either installs a bracket, or a new replacement frame.

I'm not an engineer, but I understand that some metal cracks, especially on painted parts are not visible to the naked eye. Personally I feel that a defect that might require the replacement of the entire fame as a big deal.

Some of the unsold bikes are not effected by this Stop Sale.

Do you feel that the dealers have any obligation to disclose and discuss the fix with prospective New bike owners?

Do existing owners, who are effected by the stop sale, under any obligation to reveal this situation to potential Used bike purchasers?

I know that many feel that this is no big deal, but I don't feel comfortable getting a 2018 based the stop sale. I will wait for the 2019 model bikes being released before I go shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:16 PM

Garage
Bikes manufactured after mid May (IIRC) have a redesigned sidestand pivot and aren't affected by the stop sale.

Bikes manufactured prior to that date are the subject of recalls in both Canada and the USA, although the USA was a bit late to the party. There is a retrofit reinforcement that I heard takes about 1/2 hour to install.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
There are several issues with the G310R/ GS water pump, and side stand.

The side stand issue has resulted in a Stop Sale resulting in a fix that either installs a bracket, or a new replacement frame.

I'm not an engineer, but I understand that some metal cracks, especially on painted parts are not visible to the naked eye. Personally I feel that a defect that might require the replacement of the entire fame as a big deal.

Some of the unsold bikes are not effected by this Stop Sale.

Do you feel that the dealers have any obligation to disclose and discuss the fix with prospective New bike owners?

Do existing owners, who are effected by the stop sale, under any obligation to reveal this situation to potential Used bike purchasers?

I know that many feel that this is no big deal, but I don't feel comfortable getting a 2018 based the stop sale. I will wait for the 2019 model bikes being released before I go shopping.
The dealers most definitely have an obligation.
Existing owners obligations when selling, well that could be an interesting question depending on your local laws.
But as they say,Karma is a Beatch. If you sold it with a recall notice in your possession and not done, and neglected
to inform the buyer, and they crashed, well........ who knows?
I too would wait for a new and improved model if I were you, or pick up a unsold non effected model which will likely be less money, maybe.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 03:39 AM

what water pump issue??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 AM

If a particular bike is not affected by the stop sale why would a dealer have to inform a buyer? Any 2018 bike that has arrived after a certain date has already been updated. I purchased my bike two weeks ago. It arrived at the port a few days prior and was recently built. If a bike that is affected by the stop sale has been fixed by the recall why would a dealer have to inform the customer? Its been fixed. As a buyer you are free to do research and get any bikes warranty history from the dealer. It will show you if the bike is affected and if the work has been performed. This is on the buyer not the dealer. A private seller is by no means obligated to disclose anything. Again, this all falls on the buyer. Now a dealer that does not repair a bike and tries to sell it yes that is illegal. Dealerships agree to perform all recalls prior to selling any vehicle.
sunster likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
If a bike was affected then the seller, be they a private individual or a dealer, should tell a serious prospective buyer about the recall and whether or not the bike has had the fix applied. That is my opinion and what I personally would do, irregardless of legal requirements. Just common sense and courtesy, really.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1011r View Post
If a particular bike is not affected by the stop sale why would a dealer have to inform a buyer? Any 2018 bike that has arrived after a certain date has already been updated. I purchased my bike two weeks ago. It arrived at the port a few days prior and was recently built. If a bike that is affected by the stop sale has been fixed by the recall why would a dealer have to inform the customer?

I don't think your statement above was what the original question was asking.
I believe it was referring to the versions that are affected by the stop sale.

Its been fixed. As a buyer you are free to do research and get any bikes warranty history from the dealer. It will show you if the bike is affected and if the work has been performed. This is on the buyer not the dealer. A private seller is by no means obligated to disclose anything. Again, this all falls on the buyer. Now a dealer that does not repair a bike and tries to sell it yes that is illegal. Dealerships agree to perform all recalls prior to selling any vehicle.
I agree that buyers should do their homework and get an inspection prior to purchasing.
And no you are not OBLIGATED to disclose anything, BUT, it's just the right, moral way I do things and hope it is done in return to me.
Glencoeman and Cees Klumper like this.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM

Dealers can't sell affected units unless the recall has been taken care of so no obligation there after the fact. And private seller should of course bring it up if the bike is affected by the recall but if the fix was applied then again no obligation. As buyers we should be doing the research on our own anyways.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page