4Likes
  • 1 Post By WoodWorks
  • 2 Post By Hammo
  • 1 Post By porth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

OEM Heated Grips

Hi,

I know several members have posted in the 'What have you done to your..' section regarding heated grips so I mailed my dealer to ask whether they can fit heated grips when my bike goes for the running in service soon. Given winter is coming to us in the UK soon I was interested in the debate between heated gloves and heated grips. I have never been a fan of after market additions and like the stock stuff. I did manage to see a photo of the OEM kit which I think had a controller in the top of the yoke but I may be wrong. Anyway, dealer told me they are not able to order the parts in the UK. Does anyone have an opinion on grips vs gloves, whether OEM kits are available outside UK and easy to fit or whether some dealers in UK have them? They are in the BMW accessories list.

Update on my bike is I am loving it. Done 300 miles and it is a delight to ride and never fails to put a smile on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Heated grips are more convenient, no plugging in accessory wires or charging batteries required. Too bad the OEM heated grips use an external switch, instead of having the switch on the grip assembly itself.

Does the dash have any integration with the OEM heated grips to show status at least, aka High, low, off indication?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 AM

Grips are always available when you need them. Gloves may not be, if you forget to bring them. I have the Koso Apollo grips, which have the controller built into the left-hand grip, unlike the Oxfords, which require you to mount a separate controller dongle somewhere on your handlebars, or the non-existent BMW grips which also have a separate controller. The Kosos have worked well for me on chilly mornings since March, and I expect to be using them more as winter nears. I highly recommend them.
Aardvark likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM

Garage
I Have Macna Neautron Heated Gloves but i have made contact with BMW Australia and was told the OEM grips will be available early 2019. I do like the portability of the gloves but I only get about 3 Hrs on the low setting, before they need charging, so apart from carrying extra batteries and making up a charger to run off the bike, heated grips are better suited for long rides, As for brands and styles its a preference thing I prefer OEM products for integration and it doesnít worry me about switch location, so long as i can reach the switch while riding with out any issues. But thatís only my option, many of my friends all have heated grips and various brands that they all swear by.
Ligkonakos and Aardvark like this.

You Only Live Once.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammo View Post
I Have Macna Neautron Heated Gloves but i have made contact with BMW Australia and was told the OEM grips will be available early 2019. I do like the portability of the gloves but I only get about 3 Hrs on the low setting, before they need charging, so apart from carrying extra batteries and making up a charger to run off the bike, heated grips are better suited for long rides, As for brands and styles its a preference thing I prefer OEM products for integration and it doesnít worry me about switch location, so long as i can reach the switch while riding with out any issues. But thatís only my option, many of my friends all have heated grips and various brands that they all swear by.
Just keep in mind the switch for the oem heated grips for the 310 is butt ugly. There are better solutions mentioned in the forum that seem to integrate better than the bolt on oem solution..
Music City BMW likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Despite the fact they are in the catalogs and in the owners manual, it seems the OEM grip warmers never existed! Some members here tried to order them in the past and the part# eventually disappeared from the parts lists. I don't think it's a UK-thing only.
And even if they did exist, I would not want them. They would cost a fortune and as porth just mentioned, the switch is ugly. See for yourself picture below.
I went for a more discrete setup, using the existing grips and having at the end just a small button on the headlight case, see my post if you want to know more: https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/185...se-racing.html
Using and enjoying them today with 5-6 įC temperature.

Picture below: OEM Heated Grips, announced but never released ? :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM_G310_HEATED_GRIPS.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	11606  

'18 G310R
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:41 PM

I have the aftermarket Oxford heated grips installed and LOVE them. I can run them at at full 100% setting and have no charging issues with the bikes electrical system although I seldom have to run them at full heat setting.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Grips are always available when you need them. Gloves may not be, if you forget to bring them. I have the Koso Apollo grips, which have the controller built into the left-hand grip, unlike the Oxfords, which require you to mount a separate controller dongle somewhere on your handlebars, or the non-existent BMW grips which also have a separate controller. The Kosos have worked well for me on chilly mornings since March, and I expect to be using them more as winter nears. I highly recommend them.
I'm super interested in the Koso Apollo grips, do you have any pictures of them installed? and how did you get power to them? I'm trying to plan this and a USB charging socket for my phone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Mason View Post
I'm super interested in the Koso Apollo grips, do you have any pictures of them installed? and how did you get power to them? I'm trying to plan this and a USB charging socket for my phone.
You can see pix and read about the installation here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page