New Englanders - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 17
New Englanders

This is a thread for on-road riders/rides in New England.

Here's some ideas for a meetup during April or May, 2019:
  • Tri-State Loop: Northern RI, Northeast CT, and Central Mass
  • Eastern CT: There's a lot of roads that connect to CT12
  • Eastern RI: Aquidneck Island, Tiverton, Little Compton, and maybe Providence
  • The Kanc: Been there, done that
  • VT17: This road is up near Montpelier, but the Mad River area is the most intense road I've seen in New England
  • Dixville Notch: Really up there but worth it for the views
  • Boston: Boston and Cambridge have plenty of sights to see
SiouxzyQue and GravyLoops like this.
C. Stockwell is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 PM
TYY
Senior Member
 
TYY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 103
Add western MA on the list too!
SiouxzyQue likes this.

18' R (PWM)
TYY is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Junior Member
 
GravyLoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 20
Garage
Mount Greylock would be a good one as well.
There is a lodge on the summit that has a restaurant and bar.

Some other rides I have had in mind include taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown and riding back to RI in a day.

Last edited by GravyLoops; 10-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.
GravyLoops is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyLoops View Post
Mount Greylock would be a good one as well.
There is a lodge on the summit that has a restaurant and bar.

Some other rides I have had in mind include taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown and riding back to RI in a day.
I mountain hike for fun and I'm planning on hiking up Greylock on 5/18/2019, give or take. We could do Greylock as part of a Western Mass loop, say from Springfield to Deerfield to Greylock to say Stockbridge or maybe down into CT and take 44 back to RI. If we go through CT, we could avoid the Mass Pike, follow 44 until Hartford, and then either split up at 84 and 384, or keep going until say Thompson, CT. I grew up in Chepachet, RI, so I more or less know every back road in the Burrillville/Glocester/Foster/Thompson/Putnam/Woodstock corners. It's easy to dip from one state into another without hitting numbered roads.

I'm not sure if we would be able to bring the bikes on the Boston to P-town Ferry. Most of the ferry services appear to be fast ferries (like the new Block Island Ferry).

https://ptownchamber.com/directions/how-to-get-here/
C. Stockwell is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Junior Member
 
GravyLoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 20
Garage
I had thought cars were allowed on the ferries but I guess that is not the case.
Have you ever tried riding in the Pulaski State Park and George Washington management areas. Most of the dirt roads back there are for hiking or non motorized vehicles.
Some of the roads do allow vehicles but they are in TERRIBLE shape. I was camping there this summer and tried to do some riding but the roads are not maintained at all. At least not that easy with the stock tires and I didn't feel comfortable riding alone back there. Would be great mountain biking though.

I'd be down for a ride of some sort this Spring or this year if we hit a warm patch.
SiouxzyQue likes this.
GravyLoops is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyLoops View Post
I had thought cars were allowed on the ferries but I guess that is not the case.
Have you ever tried riding in the Pulaski State Park and George Washington management areas. Most of the dirt roads back there are for hiking or non motorized vehicles.
Some of the roads do allow vehicles but they are in TERRIBLE shape. I was camping there this summer and tried to do some riding but the roads are not maintained at all. At least not that easy with the stock tires and I didn't feel comfortable riding alone back there. Would be great mountain biking though.

I'd be down for a ride of some sort this Spring or this year if we hit a warm patch.
Local dirtbikers will ride around Pulaski and Lake Washington. I believe there are dirtbike trails that connect Pulaski to Elbow Rock, which is a combination of town land and private land next to Sprague Hill. Some of the roads are maintained for campers, but the DEM employees there typically ride around in trucks. Honestly, the park is more suited for dirt bikes, adventure bikes, and dualsports. West Glocester has better roads for road bikes, like Durfee Hill Road, Chestnut Hill Road, Old Snake Hill Road, and George Allen Road.

Towards Chepachet and Harmony, I'd recommend Douglas Hook Road, Cooper Road, Long Entry Road, Evans Road, and Tarklin Road.

Note that a lot of the back roads in Glocester have blind corners, sand, and other obstacles. If you don't know the roads, take caution. Especially when you add in the odd local in a pickup doing 50 down a back road at night. Roads in general in this part of RI are not in great shape but are great fun once you get off 44, 101, and 94 and away from the villages (Chepachet, Harmony, Pascoag, Harrisville, Nasonville, etc.). The police typically stay on the main roads and near the schools.

One route I'd recommend for a group ride is starting in Chepachet, going up to Pascoag, then to Buck Hill (Road), into CT, then Quaddick Town Farm Road, New Road, East Thompson Road, and then continue into Douglas, Mass - East Thompson Road becomes SW Main Street once you cross the CT/Mass border. Once you get into Douglas, you can either follow 96 back towards Harrisville or take 16 towards 146. E Thompson Road/SW Main Street is a nice straightaway and from Buck Hill to East Thompson (village) has decent corners.

There's also Foster but that depends on if you're trying to go towards CT, Coventry, or Arcadia, assuming you're not going towards Glocester or Scituate (I'm not aware of anything particularly interesting in Scituate).

I stop riding around mid-November and start up again in mid-March, assuming we don't have a balmy Thanksgiving or Christmas. Once the snow starts, I try to stay off the roads because of salt and sand until we see rain. I would like to take my bike into Boston before this year ends, just to get some nice photo opportunities.

For restaurants in the area, I'd recommend Tavern on Main and Aegean Pizza in Chepachet. Tavern on Main has been in business as a tavern since roughly 1800. Aegean makes a decent pizza. Glocester has at least two vineyards: the Purple Cat (which used to just be a restaurant) and Mulberry Vineyards. I've had Mulberry's Cabernet Sauvignon and I liked it. Oneco, CT has Weidele's Pizza - I know the owner.

There's also Wright's Chicken Farm in Nasonville. Pomfret, CT has an excellent steakhouse that I want to try, Grill 37. I also would like to try the Publick House in Sturbridge, Mass, which has been in business since 1771. Finally, there's a vineyard in Foster that I wouldn't oppose trying and Black Pond Brews appears to be a brewery that serves beer to-go in Danielson. I'm not aware of any breweries or brewpubs in NW RI.
C. Stockwell is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Junior Member
 
GravyLoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 20
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Stockwell View Post
Local dirtbikers will ride around Pulaski and Lake Washington. I believe there are dirtbike trails that connect Pulaski to Elbow Rock, which is a combination of town land and private land next to Sprague Hill. Some of the roads are maintained for campers, but the DEM employees there typically ride around in trucks. Honestly, the park is more suited for dirt bikes, adventure bikes, and dualsports. West Glocester has better roads for road bikes, like Durfee Hill Road, Chestnut Hill Road, Old Snake Hill Road, and George Allen Road.

Towards Chepachet and Harmony, I'd recommend Douglas Hook Road, Cooper Road, Long Entry Road, Evans Road, and Tarklin Road.

Note that a lot of the back roads in Glocester have blind corners, sand, and other obstacles. If you don't know the roads, take caution. Especially when you add in the odd local in a pickup doing 50 down a back road at night. Roads in general in this part of RI are not in great shape but are great fun once you get off 44, 101, and 94 and away from the villages (Chepachet, Harmony, Pascoag, Harrisville, Nasonville, etc.). The police typically stay on the main roads and near the schools.

One route I'd recommend for a group ride is starting in Chepachet, going up to Pascoag, then to Buck Hill (Road), into CT, then Quaddick Town Farm Road, New Road, East Thompson Road, and then continue into Douglas, Mass - East Thompson Road becomes SW Main Street once you cross the CT/Mass border. Once you get into Douglas, you can either follow 96 back towards Harrisville or take 16 towards 146. E Thompson Road/SW Main Street is a nice straightaway and from Buck Hill to East Thompson (village) has decent corners.

There's also Foster but that depends on if you're trying to go towards CT, Coventry, or Arcadia, assuming you're not going towards Glocester or Scituate (I'm not aware of anything particularly interesting in Scituate).

I stop riding around mid-November and start up again in mid-March, assuming we don't have a balmy Thanksgiving or Christmas. Once the snow starts, I try to stay off the roads because of salt and sand until we see rain. I would like to take my bike into Boston before this year ends, just to get some nice photo opportunities.

For restaurants in the area, I'd recommend Tavern on Main and Aegean Pizza in Chepachet. Tavern on Main has been in business as a tavern since roughly 1800. Aegean makes a decent pizza. Glocester has at least two vineyards: the Purple Cat (which used to just be a restaurant) and Mulberry Vineyards. I've had Mulberry's Cabernet Sauvignon and I liked it. Oneco, CT has Weidele's Pizza - I know the owner.

There's also Wright's Chicken Farm in Nasonville. Pomfret, CT has an excellent steakhouse that I want to try, Grill 37. I also would like to try the Publick House in Sturbridge, Mass, which has been in business since 1771. Finally, there's a vineyard in Foster that I wouldn't oppose trying and Black Pond Brews appears to be a brewery that serves beer to-go in Danielson. I'm not aware of any breweries or brewpubs in NW RI.
these are some great suggestions. I have been on some of the routes before but I mostly set out with a vague destination and ride to get lost. Eventually I will hit a road that has a Route number and become unlost and try to get lost again. I've been tracking most of my rides in case I find a place I like to return to.....
Weather is looking pretty good this Tuesday and Wednesday. High probability I will be exploring both days. I appreciate all the back road tips. Shoot me a message if you're free during the day and riding....
GravyLoops is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 17
Law school's going to be a grind for the next couple weeks, so I don't think I'll be able to go for a group ride. That being said, I should be available on 11/10 or 11/17. I'd like to go to Boston, ride around, get a meal, take some pictures, and then call it a season (if I go on 11/17). I'm thinking 95, Mass 2, US3, Storrow Drive, then across into Charlestown for lunch at the Warren Tavern. After that, could buzz past Fanueil Hall, the Old State House, and Boston Common/Boston Public Garden. From Boston Public Garden, it's relatively easy to get onto 93S and out of the city.

Just have to mind the DUKW boats.

Edit:

There's also Thompson Speedway. I very much want to either: a) go down to BMW's rider training facility in South Carolina; or b) do a track day. But this would be for 2019.

Last edited by C. Stockwell; 10-29-2018 at 03:47 PM.
C. Stockwell is online now  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Junior Member
 
GravyLoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 20
Garage
I work on Saturdays so I couldn't do a Boston ride on either of those dates...
I'm more of a riding on country roads type of rider anyway.
Boston is a very challenging city to drive a car in. Maybe the narrow windy streets are more suitable for motorcyclists, TBD.
I am very likely to sign up for a track day at Thompson next year also.
GravyLoops is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 17
So who's riding today? I've been riding all week, but going from 28 yesterday morning to 57 this morning is amazing. I only had to wear one layer of pants!
C. Stockwell is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome