• 5 Post By Ligkonakos
  • 1 Post By Bas310
  • 1 Post By Remy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Crashed this morning - need some help

Good morning, just an hour ago I lost control and sled off at the high way. There seems to be some minor and moderate damage done but thankfully there's nothing serious that meets the eye. I need some informed opinions on what should I do since I'm not sure what to do now!

Should I schedule an appointment with the dealer to see if there's any underlying mechanical damage? Probably yes. Also, should I call my insurance company? I'm not sure of the procedure.

Damage from what little I inspected it since I zipped off to work immediately:

- Handle bar is slightly bent, may not seem apparent but can be felt. This one seems the most important.
- Gear shifter bent considerably, but doesn't affect operation from what I can tell.
- Slightly small burnt area on the side plastic panel.
- Roughed out edges on the clutch and side of handle bar.

Will do a thorough inspection later on when I get home, but man was it an awful morning experience.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_073628.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	11760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_073622.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	11762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_073613.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	11764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181103_073608.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	11766  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Came into contact with the dealer who was exceptionally cooperative for yet one more time, they will have the parts sent to me on Monday and will have them by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Off-topic a bit here, but I'm very surprised how cheap the parts are. People in general complain about high-regarded brand parts being expensive but that's not the case especially considering it's a new model.
Glencoeman likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligkonakos View Post
Came into contact with the dealer who was exceptionally cooperative for yet one more time, they will have the parts sent to me on Monday and will have them by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Off-topic a bit here, but I'm very surprised how cheap the parts are. People in general complain about high-regarded brand parts being expensive but that's not the case especially considering it's a new model.
They should be relatively cheap because they are probably made in India. Most bike manufacturers use parts made in China etc but they still overcharge a lot for parts.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 04:22 PM

BMW in general is very proud of their motorcycle parts.
we had a guy grenade the engine in his F800gs and after some research it was cheaper to buy a 5 liter V12 for a BMW750I than the 800cc twin for his GS.
the ECM for a Honda CB300 = $95.55, the ECM for a G310GS = $715.26
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM

That sucks, hope all is ok. With injuries sometimes things aren't apparent immediately after an accident, so hopefully you're all good. Did you use insurance? I guess the only real reason not to is if you think the cost of parts/repairs is less than the excess.
From my experience, having had a low side slide on pavement before, the damage turned out to be much more than I thought. What seemed like just a bent gear selector, misaligned handlebars, and a few scratches turned out to be over $5K in damage. I was also walking around fine immediately after the accident, but progressively got worse over the next 12hrs and ended up spending the next 3 weeks on crutches, no breaks, just soft tissue damage.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After spending the whole day after work yesterday on the bike, I concluded to the following:

1) Fixed the misaligned handlebars by following the dealer's step-by-step directions and borrowing my mechanic's torque wrench. Although for some reason I still feel they are slightly misaligned, it may possibly be a placebo.
2) Ordered the white side plastic and the gear shifter level for pretty cheap. Their installment sounded pretty easy but I will refer to the manual if I come into any trouble.
3) I had initially failed to see the black side fairing also had pretty significant scratches. Since it's pretty expensive (200€) I have booked an appointment for tomorrow with an automotive paint shop so they can inspect and inquire me with a rate to fix it. Bonus if they can do some cover job for the scratched handlebars as well (not important though).
4) Thankfully zero mechanical damage and it seems for some reason the gear shifting is smoother; again not sure if it's a placebo or not.

As far as body damage goes, I have had none besides scraped knees and left shoulder pain. Always had mobility issues, but I will monitor it to see if it gets worse by next week.

Thanks all for your support
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Garage
Hope you are okay !
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your recent spill, but glad that both you and the bike seem to have come out relatively unscathed. Unless you've got a large bill to cover, which doesn't seem the case I'm not sure what good will come of notifying your insurance provider lol.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
Sorry to hear about your recent spill, but glad that both you and the bike seem to have come out relatively unscathed. Unless you've got a large bill to cover, which doesn't seem the case I'm not sure what good will come of notifying your insurance provider lol.
Yeah I learnt that after calling my insurance agent who is a good friend of my father, he advised me against it.

32 for the shifter lever + 31 for the left cowl = 63 total. Plus an additional 20 for sanding + painting the black side plastic and touch up paint for the clutch lever and side of the steering wheel. 83 seems very reasonable for restoring back to new status. I was estimating approx. 200 the day I fell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page