LED Light Power Issues - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

LED Light Power Issues

I bought my bike back in March earlier this year. The first thing I did with it was change out the stock headlight bulb to an LED bulb. The brand is AuxBeam. I have it in my other cards and they work great. No issues whatsoever. Back to the bike. Fast forward to last week as I was riding I noticed my headlights would flicker or completely shut off at first or second gear. As soon as I got it up to 3 gear or 5000RPMs it would be just fine again.

Anyone have similar issues? I took it to the dealer today, as the warranty is still good, and they said that it drew a lot of power and the bike couldn't transfer enough power to it. They said if I kept the bulb in there it may fry the wiring and void my warranty completely. Thoughts, suggestions, or opinions about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:29 AM

I cant offer any suggestions unfortunately, but I've just bought a year old bike that the previous owner had upgraded the bulb. The day of my test drive it blew the bulb which they replaced but I'm now worried it will happen again! Sounds like the electrics aren't up to an LED replacement
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroblisio View Post
I cant offer any suggestions unfortunately, but I've just bought a year old bike that the previous owner had upgraded the bulb. The day of my test drive it blew the bulb which they replaced but I'm now worried it will happen again! Sounds like the electrics aren't up to an LED replacement
That's what I'm afraid of. It took 10 months for it to finally get to this stage, though. Makes me wonder if the Hoglights some have posted on here will draw the same issue.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM

Flickering or completely shutting off LED bulb is generally due to low voltage input. Can you check the power consumption and the specified operational input voltage range of your LED bulb?

With these info and working knowledge of voltmeter, you will be able to identify the cause of this symptom. I will be pleased to help you.
ResQSonny81 likes this.

1994 F650 Funduro (sold)
2000 F650GS (going to say goodbye)
2017 G310GS (new)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Flickering or completely shutting off LED bulb is generally due to low voltage input. Can you check the power consumption and the specified operational input voltage range of your LED bulb?

With these info and working knowledge of voltmeter, you will be able to identify the cause of this symptom. I will be pleased to help you.
It will flicker and/or shut off. So, both at times.

Input Power is 36W for low - 36W for high
8,000 Lumens for both high and low
Operating Voltage is DC9-32V

The weather in Texas has been mid-70s during the day and mid-60s during the evening. Yes. We are still in shorts and tshirts here.

The bike is still at the dealer so I'll see what they find and can see what they were reading on their voltmeter and compare it to my reading when I get it back. I'll report back what I find.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quick update.

Dealer said my LED bulbs, 35W, was pulling too much power. The bike is made for a 55W bulb. I don't know if I buy that response completely. They said since the bike is made for 55W and my bulb was 35W it was drawing a lot more power to make it hit 55W.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM

would said dealer be freedom power sports in Hurst off of 820?
35watts is 20 less than 55 (low, 60 high) now if there is a internal short in the driver for the light it could be drawing more but reaching a higher gear wont change draw unless a wire is shorting somewhere and air flow is blowing the wire off what it is shorting on.

the charging system produces more than enough power, if the light was drawing enough power to effect output enough to cause light to cut out it would have blown the fuse, high output LED's work on current more than voltage. they work perfectly over a wide voltage range but are regulated for a set current limit.

most likely it is a issue with the LED light driver, though there is a chance there may be a issue with the bikes regulator rectifier. faulty rectifier would let a AC power sine wave into the system and electronics don't like that. you would see flickering with other lights on the bike and would also most likely have issue with battery charging.
ResQSonny81 likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Dealer is Gulf Coast BMW in South Houston, TX.

The guy at the dealer said that the stater is probably the issue. Without a relay, of some sort, it would draw too much power overtime and could develop electronic issues like I'm having now. I'm not too savvy with a voltmeter so I'll have to wait for a friend to help me. The roads I travel to work is dark. Like, almost pitch black if other cars aren't on the road with me. Loved having the LED lights on that road. Kinda stinks with the OEM back in it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 PM

If a standard bulb is working correctly, the LED driver is the most likely suspect.

And the most likely cause is the high frequency vibration present on our bikes.

But do remember there have been problems with the generator and regulator as experienced by me and others on the forum.

RobertB
ResQSonny81 likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the LED light I used. The top is what I've had since I've bought the bike in March. It's a straight plug-n-play. The other one has a dongle connection. For the sake of research and knowing I may blow out some electrical I put the bottom one into it just now. So far no flickering of shut offs. Wife was in front of me with a GoPro in the back of her window so I could see the video when I got back home. Went and got lunch in downtown so it was a further ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlights.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	11934  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page