G310 made ? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

G310 made ?

I know that the G310’s are made in Bangalore. But my question is are the bikes made completely in Bangalore then shipped to Germany for onward shipping to the dealers. Or are the bikes components made in Bangalore then they are shipped to Germany for the BMW factory to complete and ship to the dealers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukemeister View Post
I know that the G310’s are made in Bangalore. But my question is are the bikes made completely in Bangalore then shipped to Germany for onward shipping to the dealers. Or are the bikes components made in Bangalore then they are shipped to Germany for the BMW factory to complete and ship to the dealers.
they are all made in India. this is why they are so unreliable. they are made by TVS company, in 'cooperation' with bmw. obviously the quality control is crap.
G0MYW likes this.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Really!! Can't find the unlike button
pcjojy and Tukemeister like this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:22 PM

yes, all the parts for small gs and r are manufactured in India, under the supervision of BMW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_G310R

BMW G310R was developed with an intent to increase BMW's presence in global markets.[12] It is the first ever BMW bike not to be manufactured in Europe.[13] The design of the bike was engineered by BMW in Munich, Germany, and will be built and assembled at TVS Motor Company's Hosur automobile plant in Indian state of Tamil Nadu.[14][15] BMW Motorrad CEO Stephan Schaller said that sales of the G310R in India will begin in the first half of 2017, and BMW's US website says it will be in dealerships in the winter of 2016.[16][17]

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:57 AM

My view is, If they carry the BMW name, it doesn't matter where they are made or assembled they should still be the great quality and standard you would expect from a BMW...
lost in space and PeteDuke like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Pentecost View Post
My view is, If they carry the BMW name, it doesn't matter where they are made or assembled they should still be the great quality and standard you would expect from a BMW...
it is a 'nice' view, but the reality is not matching it. i did not have personally any problems yet, but I see from other threads that bikes are facing many issues. also, in general, BWM is not producing reliable bikes. people spend lots of time in the garage fixing things. they are much inferior to Japanese bikes, even though aesthetically looking great, and more comfortable. in the past, when BMW produced more simple bikes, they were unbreakable. but since they introduced all that sophisticated electronics, it is not longer the case. same with Ducati bikes. I met one person who had to go back to the Ducati dealer, because his bike broke down just 1h after he got the bike (Multistrada)!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 PM

If you taking everything apart, you will see actually some of part are made in Germany or USA. Ironically, most parts related issues happened with 310, are not made in India. I am Chinese living in USA. A lot of 310 owners from mainland are keep complaining about this bike is crap and India made quality is bad. especially the battery, but I found out that rubbish battery is actually made in Pennsylvania and you can buy this exact crap with a super cheap price from Amazon without the BMW logo. But I always insist this is a issue regarding BMW quality control and cost management, not India manufacturing itself. Some oil leaking issues happened with this 310 engine in China recently, they replaced the gasket, but it still leaks a lttle bit. But we found out that the engine was sealed by silicon glue for G310 brother, which is that red hot Apache 310, in a promo video.
Cees Klumper and W8NONU like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
If you taking everything apart, you will see actually some of part are made in Germany or USA. Ironically, most parts related issues happened with 310, are not made in India. I am Chinese living in USA. A lot of 310 owners from mainland are keep complaining about this bike is crap and India made quality is bad. especially the battery, but I found out that rubbish battery is actually made in Pennsylvania and you can buy this exact crap with a super cheap price from Amazon without the BMW logo. But I always insist this is a issue regarding BMW quality control and cost management, not India manufacturing itself. Some oil leaking issues happened with this 310 engine in China recently, they replaced the gasket, but it still leaks a lttle bit. But we found out that the engine was sealed by silicon glue for G310 brother, which is that red hot Apache 310, in a promo video.
that's interesting. makes sense. who is using glue for the gaskets these day anyway? it was done with vintage bikes. i read that even big bmw bikes have this issue with oil leaking from gaskets.

actually, as I live part time in India, many manufactures make quite nice quality bikes there. incidentally, the apache 310rr made by TVS, which is the copy of 310r, is much cheaper in India, and might be of a better built quality, plus it has LED lights and works...

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 AM

I dont know. But based on what I heard from, it seems some Japanese manufacturers are using glues.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
it is a 'nice' view, but the reality is not matching it. i did not have personally any problems yet, but I see from other threads that bikes are facing many issues. also, in general, BWM is not producing reliable bikes. people spend lots of time in the garage fixing things. they are much inferior to Japanese bikes, even though aesthetically looking great, and more comfortable. in the past, when BMW produced more simple bikes, they were unbreakable. but since they introduced all that sophisticated electronics, it is not longer the case. same with Ducati bikes. I met one person who had to go back to the Ducati dealer, because his bike broke down just 1h after he got the bike (Multistrada)!
Kris you confuse me. You dismiss Alan’s view and indicate that the bike is inferior to Japanese bikes even though you have not had any problems with your BMW. I assume reading your response your argument is based on reading some threads here on the site and that there are some issues with the bike. I would be willing to suggest that there are a fair number of people that join forums of any kind looking for answers to problems they have with a specific product. I wonder how many threads exist on the forums of Japanese manufactured bikes that focus on talking about issues or concerns?

You basically conclude that the majority of the issues with BMW and Ducati bikes are related to the introduction of those “sophisticated electronics”? I guessing you are part of the “old school” when it comes to adapting to change. You also say that when BMW’s were simpler they were unbreakable. Makes sense I guess if you follow the principle of less is best, but where’s your evidence showing the stats that older BMW’s or any other bikes for that matter are better than the 310.

Let’s remember that when BMW produced more simpler bikes, forums like this didn’t even exist. Let’s also remember that with the share number of these affordable BMW’s now on the road and continuing to grow it will likely result in more issues reported on forums.

Are you also suggesting that all Ducati bikes are not reliable because of one guy you know broke down one hour after he road away from the dealership? What about all of the other folks that didn’t break down?

Like you I have not had any problems with my BMW even with all of those sophisticated electronics. If you are willing to make such a definitive conclusion on Ducati bikes on one example, I’m wondering if you took your bike example and my experience with our BMW’s why might conclude that BMW’s are reliable.

I personally have no real hard facts or statistics to say if the “new” BMW’s are more reliable than the older generation. But I personally don’t dismiss other members views with my own view. Especially when my argument is founded on my own reality. Which we all know can be distorted based on one individual’s life experiences.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page