Riding impressions from an FZ07 owner - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NIKITAUCLA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Riding impressions from an FZ07 owner

I'm setting this G310R for my wife who is 5'1. I'm only 5'5. With boots, I think I'm 5'6.

I've been riding for 30 years mostly off-road because I stopped riding street about 15 years ago.
I came back to street riding because of bikes like the G310R (in my case, it was the FZ07) because the riding is similar to a dirt bike.

What I love about the G310R:
1. Handling - The handing is awesome. On turns or corners, the steering is neutral which gives me so much confidence. The front suspension of the G310R is way better than my Yamaha FZ07. I cannot predict the behavior of the FZ07 during turns in the corners while I'm totally at ease on the G310R.

2. Suspension - The suspension seems to be stiffer than the FZ07 too although I only weigh 140 lbs. This is neither good nor bad.
3. Braking - My FZ07 has no ABS so this is way better than my bike. The ABS allows me to ride more aggressively but at a higher risk to myself. For commuting, ABS is a godsend.

What I wish could be better:
1. POWER - Oh I wish this machine would have 10HP....someting like 45-50HP. This would be an awesome street and canyon weapon. As of now, this is the perfect bike for the street only. I would be hesitant to commute daily on the highways because there is not enough power to get you out of trouble between 55mph and 75mph. There is not enough torque at those speeds.
Cees Klumper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
I'm setting this G310R for my wife who is 5'1. I'm only 5'5. With boots, I think I'm 5'6.

I've been riding for 30 years mostly off-road because I stopped riding street about 15 years ago.
I came back to street riding because of bikes like the G310R (in my case, it was the FZ07) because the riding is similar to a dirt bike.

What I love about the G310R:
1. Handling - The handing is awesome. On turns or corners, the steering is neutral which gives me so much confidence. The front suspension of the G310R is way better than my Yamaha FZ07. I cannot predict the behavior of the FZ07 during turns in the corners while I'm totally at ease on the G310R.

2. Suspension - The suspension seems to be stiffer than the FZ07 too although I only weigh 140 lbs. This is neither good nor bad.
3. Braking - My FZ07 has no ABS so this is way better than my bike. The ABS allows me to ride more aggressively but at a higher risk to myself. For commuting, ABS is a godsend.

What I wish could be better:
1. POWER - Oh I wish this machine would have 10HP....someting like 45-50HP. This would be an awesome street and canyon weapon. As of now, this is the perfect bike for the street only. I would be hesitant to commute daily on the highways because there is not enough power to get you out of trouble between 55mph and 75mph. There is not enough torque at those speeds.
the relatively low power is due to emissions restrictions. 310 bike can be much more powerful than it is now. my crf250 is much stronger than bmw. i am still in search of fuel controller, so far no luck. i am also planning to fit stiffer clutch springs which I ordered. this made huge difference in my crf250. stiffer springs will not increase the top speed of the bike, but they give you the punch when upshifting gears. heavy duty clutch plates could help too. in my gs, the clutch feels too soft.

you can also change gearing, by fitting smaller front sprocket for better low end torque, or bigger if you want ride faster. even though, it is not always the case because if engine is too weak, the bike will not go faster with bigger sprocket, losing mojo at 6th gear; you just lower the rpm. in my crf, with 13T front sprocket, I reach higher top speed than with 14T.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Last edited by Kris; 03-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

You mean the CRF250L? The CRF250L is more powerful than the G310R? Oh **** no! I've owned a CRF250L for six months. I sold it because it couldn't get out of its own way. If you're talking about the CRF250R or CRF250X, those are motocross and offroad bikes, completely different. I've owned all of the hondas.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
You mean the CRF250L? The CRF250L is more powerful than the G310R? Oh **** no! I've owned a CRF250L for six months. I sold it because it couldn't get out of its own way. If you're talking about the CRF250R or CRF250X, those are motocross and offroad bikes, completely different. I've owned all of the hondas.
i am talking of crf250L, which I converted recently to M. it was indeed rather weak when I got it, but with EJK fuel controller, heavy duty clutch, open exhaust - it is now so powerful. I need to start gently from the first gear to avoid making a wheely. I did not change the air filter, because from my experience, it brings too much air into the fuel/air mixture.

My friend has Rebel 300 and it does not even come close to my crf, same with bmw 310. my crf has huge low end torque, and the top speed is close to 160km/h near as much as my Vulcan 650. but unlike gs, there are many aftermarket parts to make it stronger. in other words, the small bmw has great potential, but needs to be modified for us to access this potential.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

I did not buy the CRF250L because it's performance on the street is dismal. It shines off road. The 310 is a much better street bike and since I ride 80% street and only 20% dirt it made more sense to go with the BMW. A heavy duty clutch is only effective when the oem clutch slips. I have never found a CRF250L or a 310 clutch to slip even under full acceleration.

Best days to ride end in "Y"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8NONU View Post
I did not buy the CRF250L because it's performance on the street is dismal. It shines off road. The 310 is a much better street bike and since I ride 80% street and only 20% dirt it made more sense to go with the BMW. A heavy duty clutch is only effective when the oem clutch slips. I have never found a CRF250L or a 310 clutch to slip even under full acceleration.
heavy duty clutch is not just agains the slipping, but also about the force it engages. my clutch was not slipping before. crf250L is not so good on the street, but crf250M supermoto is great. still, gs is much more comfortable.