New 2019 Red BMW G310R has arrived - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldBiker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

New 2019 Red BMW G310R has arrived

My new BMW G310R arrived late yesterday and the Red looks better than I was expecting, the dealers only had the White available and was the demo. As I mention in my post yesterday I think the side stand has been changed on the 2019 production as you can see in the photos I have not seen the loop at the base of the stand in any BMW images on the internet. I am very pleased I downsized from my 2016 Suzuki SV650 the BMW is so much lighter and easier to move around. Hope to do some running in miles in the next few days if the weather is dry!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Side Stand BMW G310R.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	12652   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Forum.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	12654  
heap and Cees Klumper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:38 AM

The red looks really nice - better than my Motorad white.

Enjoy ‘running in’. Quite tedious as mine was very eager to rev higher, though 6k gives adequate performance, at least on the backroads. And the lighter weight and lower seat is joy every time I stop or manoeuvre!

Recently approached a ford on a steep downhill bend. It was a long cobbled crossing and too much water flowing to risk crossing. JUST managed to turn bike around by pulling backwards uphill! Would never have copped with my Tiger 800!

Looking forward to your updates...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 AM

Congrats on the bike. It looks really nice in red. Yes, it looks like a totally new kickstand,( to my eyes anyway). You will soon clock up the running in period. No doubt you will have all sorts of accessories in mind. The 310r is deceiving, when I first started mine, ( I downsized too, from a GSX S750) I was disappointed at the quiet, sewing machine like feeble tick over sound. As soon as I ran the bike in and opened her up, boy what a difference, coming up fast to corners, knock it down a cog, and it sounds great and corners perfectly. In the two years, the only issue I had was the side stand recall, apart from that nothing. It's just a wonderful bike, a delight to ride and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. The only issue I have is motorways. I'm 6ft but, shall we say a bit hefty, and my torso acts as a big sail when on motorways. It's ok for short journeys, but for me, anything longer than, say an hour is unpleasant, especially if there is a headwind.
That's why I got a Vstrom 650, and that takes care of any long journeys. But that's just me and my old age!. The next accessory on my radar is the High Comfort seat to help ease my old bones!.
You will have to report back and tell us all how you are getting on.

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

First review ride on my new BMW G310R the first pleasure was getting the bike out of shed/garage in the garden and noticing how light and easy the bike was to do my normal 3 to 4 point turns and push the bike down the narrow side-way to the front drive, this is where I was beginning to feeling the weight of my “old” Suzuki SV650. I noticed you need a slight bit of throttle when starting from cold and was surprised and remembered the test bike at the dealers idled at little faster than I was used to, idling at about 1800rpm instead of 1200rpm on the Suzuki. You will all be waiting to see if I stalled it!!! NO…... but I did notice how far the clutch has to be let out before it begins to bite, plus I have been spoilt by the Suzuki’s Clutch Assist which you can never stall. I did find the gear pedal and I do mean find was in further than I was expecting plus I only have a size 7 boot, I think the rear brake pedal is also in closer than I am used to, I remember someone said you have to ride pigeon toed to reach the pedals. I had this problem with the gear pedal on a BMW F800R and purchased a metal extension made for BMWs which fitted over the existing pedal making it about 2in wider.

My ride was about 50mls on country A roads stopping at a well known bikers stop on the A32 called Loomies Cafe in Hampshire and I followed the running in procedure in the handbook and my dealers advice and was impressed how it got down the road staying around the 5000rpm the only comment I have and its not a criticism is how quick you have to change up just to get to 30mph but I was impressed how flexible it was in 4th and 5th at 40mph and would do 30mph in 4th and didn't feel it was labouring where as on my SV650 you had less flexibility at slower speeds. I also found once I got used to its lightness it handles very well on the bends and feels sold on the road and the A32 is not the smoothest road. I did see a 310GS parked on a 68 plate and his side stand was not the same as mine so I think as in my photo I posted BMW have changed the side stand on models built from 2019. Looking forward to hopeful improving dry weather and getting my running in mileage out of the way and if today's first impressions are to go by I think this is going to be a fun bike to ride and joining this forum has helped me make the good decision to downsize to the BMW G310R.
More updates to follow.

Last edited by OldBiker; 04-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page