Hepco & Becker pannier racks - HELP PLEASE!! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hepco & Becker pannier racks - HELP PLEASE!!

Does anyone have these fitted??

If so, I was wondering if you could share some more pics of your pannier racks? In particular, I'm wanting to see the rear, and if you could kindly measure the distance from the bike's centre-line to the right of the pannier rack. After changing the exhaust on my bike to a Scorpion, it sits out way past the my Givi racks, and am looking at solutions. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Stefan Lepicier-Gibson; 04-21-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lepicier-Gibson View Post
Does anyone have these fitted??

If so, I was wondering if you could share some more pics of your pannier racks? In particular, I'm wanting to see the rear, and if you could kindly measure the distance from the bike's centre-line to the right of the pannier rack. After changing the exhaust on my bike to a Scorpion, it sits out way past the my Givi racks, and am looking at solutions. Thanks in advance!

So are you saying that there is not enough clearance from the side panniers to the silencer? i am away now from my gs, but with Akra, there were like 3 inches distance to the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quaneen.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	12754  

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
So are you saying that there is not enough clearance from the side panniers to the silencer? i am away now from my gs, but with Akra, there were like 3 inches distance to the rack.
Hey Kris, you can see from the pics that the Scorpion sits out ridiculously far beyond the pannier rack, meaning I cannot mount any luggage that side. Not happy with the mid-pipe's design to be sitting so far out tbh! I'm trying to decide whether to get a new exhaust, new rack, or modify the exhaust mount & fabricate an elbow so that it tucks in behind the rack (which is how it should have been in the first place!).

I've asked H&B for dimensions of their rack, and just got the generic "they fit the OEM exhaust" answer. I URGENTLY need to see from behind just like my pics, and a dimension from the bike's centre-line to the right side of the right pannier rack. Thanks so much in advance for your help mate, I genuinely appreciate it!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Hey Kris, you can see from the pics that the Scorpion sits out ridiculously far beyond the pannier rack, meaning I cannot mount any luggage that side. Not happy with the mid-pipe's design to be sitting so far out tbh! I'm trying to decide whether to get a new exhaust, new rack, or modify the exhaust mount & fabricate an elbow so that it tucks in behind the rack (which is how it should have been in the first place!).

I've asked H&B for dimensions of their rack, and just got the generic "they fit the OEM exhaust" answer. I URGENTLY need to see from behind just like my pics, and a dimension from the bike's centre-line to the right side of the right pannier rack. Thanks so much in advance for your help mate, I genuinely appreciate it!
Hi Stefan, so your silencer seems to be higher, that Arka. but if you mount the side box, does it touch it? the end of the pipe is not so hot and carbon so it is maybe ok? you have plastic or aluminium panniers?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Hi Stefan, so your silencer seems to be higher, that Arka. but if you mount the side box, does it touch it? the end of the pipe is not so hot and carbon so it is maybe ok? you have plastic or aluminium panniers?
I can't mount anything on the right rack...the exhaust sticks out so far, and is exactly where a bag would go (see pictures above and below). I'm wanting to get soft Kriega bags.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I can't mount anything on the right rack...the exhaust sticks out so far, and is exactly where a bag would go (see pictures above and below). I'm wanting to get soft Kriega bags.

you can try to make small connecting pipe plus an extension to where the silencer is bolted in to lower it. perhaps just an extension could be enough so you could push the silencer lower, assuming there is enough flexibility to it.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
you can try to make small connecting pipe plus an extension to where the silencer is bolted in to lower it. perhaps just an extension could be enough so you could push the silencer lower, assuming there is enough flexibility to it.
That pretty much what I was thinking of doing...I'm happy with the height, but not the angle that it sticks out. I'd make a flanged elbow piece for where the mid-pipe meets the can, which will "tuck" the exhaust behind the pannier rack, and would allow fitment of a bag. I'd love to see some pics of your setup when you get a chance, it'd be a huge help!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That pretty much what I was thinking of doing...I'm happy with the height, but not the angle that it sticks out. I'd make a flanged elbow piece for where the mid-pipe meets the can, which will "tuck" the exhaust behind the pannier rack, and would allow fitment of a bag. I'd love to see some pics of your setup when you get a chance, it'd be a huge help!
I sent the picture above. i did not need an mods with Hepco racks and Akra pipe. Akra slip on sits much lower than stock one. I am not really clear - do you intend to use hard cases or soft bags on the bike? if the hight of your silencer is not to high, so how would changing the angle help?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I sent the picture above. i did not need an mods with Hepco racks and Akra pipe. Akra slip on sits much lower than stock one. I am not really clear - do you intend to use hard cases or soft bags on the bike? if the hight of your silencer is not to high, so how would changing the angle help?
Hey Kris! I need rear pics of your racks (EXACT same pics as what I posted, but on your bike), and a measurement from your bikes centre-line (as if you had sliced the bike straight up the middle), to the outside of your rack (where the bags mount).

I have a big trip coming up, must commit to the right soft-luggage options, and NEED to get this headache sorted asap lol! Plus it annoys me everytime I look at the bike lol! I'm meeting up with an engineer/fabricator 8am tomorrow morning to discuss options to "tuck" the exhaust in, so will see how that goes. ATM, you're the very best person to help me, and will be eternally greatful!!!

Last edited by Stefan Lepicier-Gibson; 04-22-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page