3Likes
  • 1 Post By LeakyTailpipe
  • 1 Post By porth
  • 1 Post By porth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

R&G Fender Eliminator HELP w/ Wiring

Hi guys, 18' G310R owner here!

I've purchased the R&G Fender Eliminator kit with micro LED's and the install went fine up until the wire stripping and bullet connectors came in. I thought I did an OK job of stripping and fitting the male/female bullet connectors on their respective wires. But when I put the battery back in and turned the key only my right turn signal worked(and even then the flash rate was too fast). My left turn signal and brake light/licence plate light did not work.

My question is what could be the problem? I am a complete noob to wiring and motorcycle ownership but I figured I followed the provided instructions properly. I really wish there was a youtube video for this specific kit.

Can anyone provide some clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:21 PM

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, do you have a multimeter to check the continuity of your crimped connections? This is the easiest thing to check and probably the issue.
How many wires are there? Do any of the circuits share the same ground?
If you have LEDs and you reversed the wires then they won't illuminate (LEDs are diodes and therefore only allow current flow in one direction).
Also, make sure no fuses are blown to indicate a short in your wiring. I doubt the lights are on separate fused circuits, but it never hurts to check.

At any rate, I would double check the crimp of the connectors and maybe even flux and flow some solder into them to be sure. Can you post a pic of the connectors for us to look at?
smurf07 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyTailpipe View Post
I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, do you have a multimeter to check the continuity of your crimped connections? This is the easiest thing to check and probably the issue.
How many wires are there? Do any of the circuits share the same ground?
If you have LEDs and you reversed the wires then they won't illuminate (LEDs are diodes and therefore only allow current flow in one direction).
Also, make sure no fuses are blown to indicate a short in your wiring. I doubt the lights are on separate fused circuits, but it never hurts to check.

At any rate, I would double check the crimp of the connectors and maybe even flux and flow some solder into them to be sure. Can you post a pic of the connectors for us to look at?
Hi so I do believe it was a mix up of wires because I hadn't stripped and crimped the oem turn signal wires.

I recrimped my connectors and now everything works!

Buuuut the LED turn signals flash at too high of a rate. I was under the impression I didn't need to get resistors since the bike comes with OEM LED signals??
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf07 View Post
Buuuut the LED turn signals flash at too high of a rate. I was under the impression I didn't need to get resistors since the bike comes with OEM LED signals??

Does this also happen when the bike is running or just when the ignition is in the on position and the motor is off?

If it only happens when the motor is off, don't worry about it, if it happens when the motor is running, you might need some additional resistors.
smurf07 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Does this also happen when the bike is running or just when the ignition is in the on position and the motor is off?

If it only happens when the motor is off, don't worry about it, if it happens when the motor is running, you might need some additional resistors.
Thank you so much for the tip! I started the engine and the blink rate is CORRECT!

Thank you both for your help it was priceless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf07 View Post
Thank you so much for the tip! I started the engine and the blink rate is CORRECT!

Thank you both for your help it was priceless.

No problem, it's a quirk of LED indicators with this bike, some don't have any problems, others only blink fast when the engine is off and other blink fast all the time.
smurf07 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 AM

I'm glad you figured it out. Electrical problems can be frustrating to solve.

So how does the bike look now? Pics?

Red 2018 G310GS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:13 PM

i don't have good experience with R&G stuff. I installed the rear tail tidy in my crf250 and it broke after a short time. luckily someone pointed it out to me, as I almost lost my licence plate!

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page