I need a new ignition (short story) - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I need a new ignition (short story)

I worked hard to save up for a motorcycle and after years of wanting one I just recently I got to a place to were I was comfortable enough to make that purchase, and bought my 310R. The run-in 1st service was completed 3 weeks ago just before I took my 1st vacation from the job I've worked so hard at. I had a great time with me recently married wife.
Upon arriving home I've been very excited for my 1st long motorcycle trip across Oregon to get to a friends wedding, but that was about to change. I really wanted to get even a small ride in, so I grabbed my gear and rushed to the bike to find that I wasn't going to be taking any rides for awhile. I found my ignition switch was carved out. It looked as if some a****** hammered a Flathead into it and stripped out the center. Now it sits there, unable to unlock and me having to deal with the aftermath.
It's a new feeling having something I've worked for destroyed for nothing and I'm really mad about it. It's hard to have faith in people when so many just want to take.

there's a picture attached.

I wasn't sure how to express my anger, so I'm releasing in this form.

Ride safe everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	13150  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Man, that's disappointing. I feel for you. Even with insurance it's a huge hassle with excess and paper work etc.

First point of call would be the dealer to see how much it will cost to replace with new ignition. (make sure that they either replace with same keyed ignition, or change the lock under the seat at the same time). Depending on the cost you may/may not want to get the insurance involved.

Have you contacted the police?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I was quoted over $600 before labor for all three new locks so I have my insurance working on it. I did not contact the police because I was out of town and have no information for them beside "it happened sometime in the last 12 days"
It is a hassle.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You never know, the police may have had other reports from other motorcyclists, they'll be able to let you know whether it's worthwhile or not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page