Could I ride this? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Could I ride this?

I'm looking for my first motorcycle. I'm a female and I'm not too tall-5'4". I rode a cruiser in the MSF class and it was fine. I was able to flat foot it but the style is not really my taste. I like the aesthetics of the 310r but I'm not sure if I'm tall enough to ride it.
I know there's a lowering kit and that would probably allow me to have both feet planted on the ground but my concern is the reach. I realize sports bikes are set up in a more aggressive way. However, I've seen riders who were a little taller, who were more upright. I don't know if there's any way for me to achieve that on the 310r.
I sat on a Honda CB300R and I had to stretch pretty far. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM

I think you will be fine on the 310R, I'm 5'7".

I also sat on the CB300R and can confirm that it is a longer reach to the ground mainly due to the wider seat and sitting more on the bike vs in the bike position.

The Yamaha R3 is another low option.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

I'm 5'5 and my wife is 5'1. She currently owns and rides this bike.
I lowered the bike using this aftermarket part at

https://www.sjbmw.com/we-help-you-get-any-parts--xstore

Take a look at her riding the bike with the lowered link ....

By the way, the stock BMW G310R is awful. I installed the handlbar from the FZ07 onto it. Much more comfortable because it is more upward and toward the rider. The stock is too wide.

I currently ride a Yamaha FZ-07.

Last edited by NIKITAUCLA; 06-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I assume your wife is a new rider. If you had it to do again, would you still choose this motorcycle for her? How sid she feel on your Yamaha?
Did you install a riser with the new handlebar?

Last edited by 1Shortrider; 06-13-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I would suggest you test ride a stock 310R. One good thing is that they are very light, which makes them relatively easy to handle. I passed my California DMV driving test on mine, they are nimble.
G0MYW likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Iím 5í5Ē with a 30Ē inseam. I canít flat foot this bike but itís close enough, the balls of my feet are solidly on the ground with just my heels up. Iíll have to be cautious on loose surfaces but Iíve had no issues so far walking/backing it nor feeling solid at a stop. The riding position is fairly upright, a slight forward lean. My arms arenít locked to reach the handlebars, thereís a decent enough bend to be comfortable. The brake and clutch levers are definitely too far away for small hands. My dealership is ordering in Puig adjustable levers for me which theyíll install. They will be worth the $ for not having to strain my hands to clutch and brake. My advice would be to go to a dealership and spend some time seated on a bike. Eventually a test ride will be helpful to know if this bike is for you but getting on one first will be a quick go/no-go test. Donít settle for looks alone, spend time making sure itís the right one for you in terms of comfort. Personally I am very happy with my G310R. Itís light, nimble, and fun as ****. Good luck!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 PM

My wife is an experienced off-road rider but will never ride a street that is too tall. Hence I had to lowered it and install the FZ07 Handlebar. The FZ07 bar is angled toward the rider which makes it comfortable.
Iím 5í5 and didnít lower the FZ07 so itís too tall for her. I would get the Kawasaki 400 for the power but this bike was too cheap to pass up.

This G310R is a great handling bike. I wish for more power!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 AM

I am a short rider about 5'6" but inseam of 29". Don't forget that the 310R is a sportbike even though it does not have all the fairings. You will be in a forward position but it is not as aggressive as say a Yamaha R3. The handlebars can probably be rotated back a little bit.

Wear motorcycle boots (Bilt Pole Position @ Cyclegear) which are available for less than $100 and will help with getting you closer to the ground.

BMW has a lower seat but it will set you back $400 and is only .5" lower. Personally I think BMW should swap out for free as it should have come with the lower seat standard.

The reason you are in a forward position is for steering dynamics. It is not intended to be ridden fully upright. You would have to go the the 310GS for that and it is even taller. It can also be lowered.

REMEMBER if you lower the back, you have to lower the front as well.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 AM

You only need to be able to have one foot down comfortably and out a little to stabilize. If your foot is too close to the bike, it will tip over easy. Make sure you can get the kickstand up once you are on the bike. I sometime have a problem getting the kickstand up on the 310GS depending on the side slope of surface.

If you are short, keep the kickstand down when mount the bike and then put it up. It will stabilize bike while you are getting on. Even the Harley people do that. Don't listen to people who say no (they are usually tall or extremely flexible) I can't even get on GS without stand down and my foot on footpeg to mount as the back is higher.

Comment on video: What is diameter of that circle, looks real tight. Did training on a 30' circle for advanced rider class and had trouble with my twitchy RC390. I upgraded it with Exhaust, Power Commander 5, and Open Airbox so now it refuses to go really slow and steady. "I want to go fast" says chicken in Storks Movie

2018 BMW G310GS White
2016 KTM RC390
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 AM

OH also put kickstand down BEFORE getting off bike to stabilize. I have dropped in parking lot RC390 and GD250R getting off without kickstand down. All you have to do is have your foot too close to bike and if it starts to tip you will not have any leverage. It only scratched my handlebar end as I was able to slow fall and my leg kept the body from hitting the ground. Embarrassing though.

Keep front brake on also.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2016 KTM RC390

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page