Would lowering void the warranty? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Would lowering void the warranty?

If I get a 310r, I will definitely have to lower it and possibly change the handlebars, or at least find riders or something to adapt them for my size, as someone here suggested he did for his wife.
Although the bmw dealership would perform the labor, the actual lowering part is aftermarket. So, would that void the warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Will you be dropping the forks through as well ? what about side stand length ?

I would think if you have a word with the dealer he would I hope probably say would not effect warranty.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Don't be scared. Just do it!

If I didn't perform the modifications so that my wife would have the confidence to ride it, it would just sit there and become a paperweight.

Personally, I don't give a sheat what BMW or the dealer thinks.
Plus, my wife is an attorney. My take is this... if there is ever a dispute, BMW can spend $10k (just a number I'm throwing out there) to send an attorney to court or just fix the **** bike. I wonder what a reasonable person would do?

Kidding aside. Just do it. It's easy.

By the way, the handlebar is slightly too wide for someone small. I replaced the handlebar with the one from a Yamaha MT-07.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 AM

You have at least a $1,000+ in mods. Maybe you should consider a Kawasaki 300 or 400 Ninja first, they have a relaxed riding position.

I understand the reach problem which is why I will probably never have a 600 or higher as I am pressed against the gas tank just to reach the handles. Pulling handles back would make it un-rideable.

Another problem you may run into is the helmet. You need a sport helmet designed for a forward riding position so you have more vertical view. Helmet needs to be real snug so it does not slide (rotate) forward and obstruct your vertical view. Nothing worse than having to constantly push the chin up of the helmet while trying to drive.

If there is a Hyosung dealer near you, try sitting on the GD250R or N and see hoe it feels. It should be almost half the price of a new 310R and for a first bike you can't beat it. Not as powerful as 310 34hp vs 28hp but power delivery is very linear so it won't pull away from you and is very forgiving and handles as well as the RC390.

I am going to assume you don't weigh much so dealer will need to adjust sag which may help also. Basically the rear spring will be adjusted with almost no preload. Unfortunately there is no adjustment on the front forks unless you replace the cartridges.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)

Last edited by Cees Klumper; 06-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 AM

It will not effect Warranty. Unless you do engine modifications. The engine is the main warranty issue. I don't think your swingarm is going to fall off.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I was also going to say the warranty would only be affected for issues associated with the modifications, not everything else. But best check with the dealer first.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:59 PM

I love the G310R, but I would recommend the Kawasaki Z400.
https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2019-Z400-ABS

It's way easier to lower the bike with the Kawasaki because the rear uses the traditional "dog bone" linkage.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Why are Kawasaki sport bikes obnoxious lime green? I guess I’d have to go with the red version
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
You have at least a $1,000+ in mods. Maybe you should consider a Kawasaki 300 or 400 Ninja first, they have a relaxed riding position.

I understand the reach problem which is why I will probably never have a 600 or higher as I am pressed against the gas tank just to reach the handles. Pulling handles back would make it un-rideable.

Another problem you may run into is the helmet. You need a sport helmet designed for a forward riding position so you have more vertical view. Helmet needs to be real snug so it does not slide (rotate) forward and obstruct your vertical view. Nothing worse than having to constantly push the chin up of the helmet while trying to drive.

If there is a Hyosung dealer near you, try sitting on the GD250R or N and see hoe it feels. It should be almost half the price of a new 310R and for a first bike you can't beat it. Not as powerful as 310 34hp vs 28hp but power delivery is very linear so it won't pull away from you and is very forgiving and handles as well as the RC390.

I am going to assume you don't weigh much so dealer will need to adjust sag which may help also. Basically the rear spring will be adjusted with almost no preload. Unfortunately there is no adjustment on the front forks unless you replace the cartridges.
Chinese bike? I don’t believe I’ve seen any dealerships around here selling those. What about. KTM Duke? Too aggressive?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page