G310R Safety Brake Recall - Page 11 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Will be good to verify these are new design calipers, not just the same ones that have the problems, just new.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 AM

I hope it will be something external about the calipers that will make it obvious that they are of the new breed. But I will not know till first week in Feb.
post #103 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 AM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmech View Post
I hope it will be something external about the calipers that will make it obvious that they are of the new breed. But I will not know till first week in Feb.

I await with interest.

A few months ago they replaced my perfectly functioning rear caliper with one that looked identical; there was no indication that this was a temporary fix pending a redesigned unit. The front, also perfectly functioning, received a piston and seal kit, again implicitly a permanent fix.
post #104 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Hi I was phoned by my dealer on Wednesday about the Brake Recall and they pick my 2019 Red G310R today Saturday. I was told when asked about the recall that after BMW tried replacing parts within the brake calipers they now are replacing the complete caliper with a new replacement part. I was also informed my bike was the first of 2 that was being pickup today and the dealers done 7 recalled bikes yesterday it includes not just the G310s but other models within the BMW bike range. They also said there are other manufactures of bikes that use the same calipers who will have the same problem, I think the new Royal Enfield 650cc models use a similar caliper or make. I never complain about recalls it means to me that they are a responsible company especially when safety is concerned, like when I had a Triumph T100 and a number of rear spoked wheels started to collapse due a faulty wheel hub. If you search many bike forums your find there is NO bike that has not had some problems its the service you get from your dealer that counts!!
Twowheeledlife likes this.

Last edited by OldBiker; 01-18-2020 at 09:45 AM.
post #105 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:07 AM

@OldBiker make sure to ask if it's a new design or just new old design.

MarkF
2018 HD FLHPolice
2019 BMW G310GS
post #106 of 111 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

My R was picked up today this morning and returned this evening , new calipers fitted could not see any obvious differences maybe the green sticker denotes the difference ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200203_171345304.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	14068  
G0MYW likes this.
post #107 of 111 (permalink) Old Today, 07:51 AM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmech View Post
My R was picked up today this morning and returned this evening , new calipers fitted could not see any obvious differences maybe the green sticker denotes the difference ?

I got a phone call about this today along with the end of warranty check. They say that the replacement calipers were still found to be leaking (that's the first I've heard of such an issue) so they are now fitting calipers which have been "completely redesigned".

More alarming is the need to keep the bike overnight. The original replacement was carried out in an afternoon but they now say the bike has to be kept overnight to bleed the brakes by strapping the lever. When I queried this as a bit of a last resort when all else fails they said it was "the only way it could be done".

Still, at least the end of warranty means I won't need to go near these clowns again.
post #108 of 111 (permalink) Old Today, 08:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
It was known and announced by BMW that the first replacement calipers would be identical to the original, bad design. That's why I didn't bother and just repaired my rear caliper myself when it started to act up (basically it needed piston and bore cleaned with 3000 sandpaper and new fluid. Bleeding it afterwards was a two-minute job and presto). Good to see they finally are replacing them with -hopefully- proper units.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
post #109 of 111 (permalink) Old Today, 01:50 PM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
It was known and announced by BMW that the first replacement calipers would be identical to the original, bad design. That's why I didn't bother and just repaired my rear caliper myself when it started to act up (basically it needed piston and bore cleaned with 3000 sandpaper and new fluid. Bleeding it afterwards was a two-minute job and presto). Good to see they finally are replacing them with -hopefully- proper units.

I think live in hope might be the expression looking at Britmech's photo. That, and the originals, look no different to the average motorcycle caliper, which seldom remains corrosion free.

I'm interested to hear that bleeedng is no problem after reading about complications/special equipment needed with ABS systems. Just a bleed as normal?
post #110 of 111 (permalink) Old Today, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCV View Post
.... Just a bleed as normal?
At least on the old big BMW's with ABS, you have to engage the ABS-pump to get all traped air out from the system. That is what you need the special equipment for. However, I have bled both my previous R1200GS with ABS and current G310GS useing a vacum suction device, with good results.
As fiddling with brakes without good knowledge is serious business with, at worst, fatal consequences, I would not recommend anybody to experiment the way I've done. But that's of course up to anybody to decide for by themselves.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page