G310R Safety Brake Recall - Page 9 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:00 PM

I'm new to this- what happens if the confiscate my bike? How long can they hold it for? They haven't given me a projected date on anything yet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Garage
This story is astonishing!
My dealer told me they will keep the bike 2 hours...
Fingers crossed.
G0MYW likes this.
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Just spoke to our dealer here in Burbank. They confirmed the permanent fix is not yet available, but expect it around end December, early next year. Did not sound all that certain though?
Also confirmed that, if I would come in to have the brakes checked:
- they will take apart the calipers. If there is damage that is small, they will fit a 'repair kit' (probably a new piston and seals)
- if there is major damage, they will need to order new calipers (of the current type, which means temporary fix). Why they don't have a couple of sets of these calipers on the shelf I don't know, they know people will be coming in for the check. If they don't have them in stock, you will need to leave your bike with the dealer (and walk home?) until they receive the temporary replacement caliper(s). You will need to come back later for the permanent fix.

So I will hold onto my bike and monitor the brakes until the new-new calipers/parts have arrived. I already repaired my rear caliper and can easily do it again, was pretty easy to do.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM

I'm new to the forum, and hope I'm posting this right. For anyone interested and following this, I received my recall letter second week of October. I checked with my dealer as soon as I got the letter and they confirmed that no remedy was available. Followed up with BMW and they reported the same thing. The representative at BMW basically indicated they are still sourcing the parts. I have been checking the VIN on the NHTSA database as one of the earlier posters suggested, and the recall just showed up there for my VIN, so there was a good 3 - 4 week lag between receiving the letter and the my recall hitting their database. NHTSA shows one outstanding recall, no remedy available, so no new news. (2018 G310 R).
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 PM
aob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrpezz View Post
I'm new to the forum, and hope I'm posting this right. For anyone interested and following this, I received my recall letter second week of October. I checked with my dealer as soon as I got the letter and they confirmed that no remedy was available. Followed up with BMW and they reported the same thing. The representative at BMW basically indicated they are still sourcing the parts. I have been checking the VIN on the NHTSA database as one of the earlier posters suggested, and the recall just showed up there for my VIN, so there was a good 3 - 4 week lag between receiving the letter and the my recall hitting their database. NHTSA shows one outstanding recall, no remedy available, so no new news. (2018 G310 R).
They're usually bulk loaded into the NHTSA database. My VIN has popped as well:

Quote:
Aug 13,2019
Manufacturer Recall NumberNA
NHTSA Recall Number19V593
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
Summary
BRAKE CALIPER: This recall involves the front and rear brake calipers and brake caliper's pistons. During long-term exposure to certain environmental and winter-time road-treatment conditions, corrosion could occur on the surface of the unanodized brake caliper piston bore. This could impair the piston's clearance within the bore.

Safety Risk
If corrosion impairs the piston's clearance within the bore, the piston could get stuck. This could affect brake performance, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
The front and rear brake calipers will be replaced with an improved part.

Manufacturer's Notes
For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Service at 1-800-525-7417 or via Email at [email protected]
wrpezz likes this.
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:33 AM

Garage
Are there any members in Philippines (or any close countries) who have had the letter regarding the brake recall??
Why?
BMW MOTORRAD Philippines have emailed me today offering to send a technician to me in my province to do a BMW service. As Iím paying a proportion of his travel and accommodation charges I want him to do EVERYTHING while heís here.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Has anyone (particularly in the US/North America) heard any more about this recall and when a final solution will be available? The NHTSA web site still indicates remedy not yet available. It seems like this known issue has been dragging on for a while with very little information available.
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 PM

My wife is taking the bike to the dealer on Friday. They say the rust is not visible without disassembling the caliper.
They will disassemble, if rust is found BMW will replace calipers for now.

BMW has not provided replacement calipers yet. If you get the temporary calipers (if rust is found) BMW will replace them once the real replacement is identified. If no rust is found they will still replace your calipers
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Vaca View Post
If no rust is found they will still replace your calipers
Iím back from the repair shop.
They took down the calipers, saw nothing, changed the seals and reassembled everything.
They said they will check again next time I come in for standard maintenance.
Cees Klumper likes this.
post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I think Jessie means that BMW will be replacing ALL calipers once they figure out how to order them, so there's not this ticking timebomb on our bikes that you need to constantly worry about.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page