BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

G310R Safety Brake Recall

37K views 138 replies 42 participants last post by  Microto 
#1 ·
Got my recall letter this morning. The G310R in the UK is being recalled for a safety brake inspection. Apparently, there is a danger of brake calliper corrosion due to the UK winter road treatment (salt to you and me). I have my R booked in for its 2nd service this Friday afternoon so I phoned up and the good people at Barrie Robson, BMW Motorrad, York have agreed to do the check at the same time. This is good for me because I live 50 ish miles away, so it saves another trip. Like the side stand recall, you don't get any paperwork to say the work has been done, once the work is done the BMW Motorrad database is updated. All our bikes have a little file on the database and all our BMW's details are kept. If you sell the bike, apparently the new owner can go to any BMW Motorrad dealer and check whether these recalls have been done.
(so I was told). So probably best to get it done and not ignore it.
Regards
Blackie.

#4 ·
Luckily I'm retired and have the time and its nice weather so I don't mind too much, but it must be very inconvenient for working younger riders, to have to take time off to go to the dealers, and this is the second recall? it would have been nice to receive some sort of small compensation for the inconvenience, or maybe I'm still living in a bygone age!

#10 ·
Angiedave,
I don’t know anything About salt or the amount of salt on winterroads in Holland.
I live in the netherlands 😜

Holland is a (small) part of the Netherlands. It’s a province and we have North and south Holland.
Beside that, our country, the Netherlands, has more provinces then just these two.

With global warming our winters are getting more and more rainy periods and hardly any snow or freezing temperatures that can cause slippery roads. Therefore they (we) do not have to use a lot of salt.
So, no thank you for your salt. By the way, just heard today that with a hard brexit it will take a truck three or more months to cross the Channel. By that time winter is over 😇

#22 · (Edited)
Mine was done yesterday. New rear caliper, though the bike has never seen salt, and they tell me they fitted a piston and seal kit to the front. As the new caliper appears identical to the old I don't see how future corrosion will be prevented, as per the recall.

I did raise the question of what would happen when the calipers, particuĺarly the front, did start to corrode in future but they seemed a bit puzzled by the question and didn't really have a satisfactory answer.

And if a potential future purchaser wants to check the work has been done, the BMW recall site says "chassis number not found" - not useful.

#24 ·
If they are stopping the sale of new bikes until calipers swapped -- what does that tell you !!
Problem has started before the bikes have even been used ?
Other wise they would sell them (new bikes) and do the calipers at first service or when needed after all they are brand new how could they have a corrosion issue !!

A production issue is the way I read that. Or some other fault ?

Come on BMW come clean be honest , also what happens in the future if the fault happens again in a short time and low mileage ?

#27 · (Edited)
I agree Brembo fault , but surely specced by BMW then tested by BMW before model release.

Manufacturing fault ?

Unless the 310 was not tested thoroughly or the spec changed after by Brembo and not informing BMW (which would not be good) , or BMW changing the spec and not thoroughly testing before model release.

Corrosion is not a new issue/problem that was not there before they manufactured the 310 , BMW and other manufacturers suffer enough other corrosion issues with paint falling off ,coating and plating problems.

KTM used this size caliper on their small bikes for a while , so I am assuming it is the same ? not heard or read of any recall due to corrosion (not saying they did/do not corrode).

Just my own view on this , still like my 310 just wish it was not suffering with corrosion issues. ( Paint issue on frame , engine , plating and coating issue -- mostly these have been rectified by BMW , but really should not be happening on fairly new very low mileage machine. ( on any large manufactures products ) .

#30 ·
My ‘R’. Was in for maintenance when I got THE letter from BMW.
RECALL ........
I called my dealer and they just finished the work on my ‘R’ but would check the parts.
If they would find anything they would replace it or would let me know later when the replacing parts were in stock.
No worries now.
This week we will be away for some days to the Sauerland area in Germany to put some kilometer on the clock.

#34 ·
In Canada the Transport Canada Recall is number 2019405.
Issued 13 August 2019

Recall details:
Issue: Over time, the front and rear brake calipers on certain motorcycles could corrode. As a result, the brake piston to could stick inside its cylinder bore. This would affect brake performance. Safety Risk: Reduced brake performance can cause increased stopping distances and create the risk of a crash. Corrective Actions: The company will notify owners by mail and instruct them to take their vehicle to a dealer to replace the front and rear brake calipers with improved parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.