Endurance test G 310 R - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Endurance test G 310 R

The largest German motorcycle magazine "Motorrad" has subjected the G 310 R to an endurance test in 2 years:

https://www.motorradonline.de/typen/...paign=manually

The article is written in German, translation possibilities e.g. via Google or DeepL

G 310 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 PM
PCV

I'm struggling with this. It would be good if someone who can get it translated could post it here.

I'd like to know why they had to strip the motor (looks like a problem with bearings) and what the brake problem was. But also the good points.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM

DeepL works quite well

They criticized the brakes and the clutch
Had many problems with the the brakes with rear and front calipers replaced, as well as the front master cylinder
and at 20000km they observed consumption of the front brake disc ("brake disc had already lost 0.25 mm of its original thickness (5.02 mm). Although 50 percent of the wear limit of 4.5 mm is still missing, the brake pistons do not seem to completely compensate for the additional working distance")

cold start issues

Chain set changed at only 20000km (20000km service cost was 773€)

new chain set at 40000km, jointly with steering head bearing and the starter free-wheel

Engine failure (The connecting rod bearing had run in) happened at 47000km and surprisingly
"BMW sent a technician to Stuttgart for this purpose. The engine of the G 310 R was dismantled by the BMW technician in the editorial workshop in the presence of us. Cause: The connecting rod bearing had run in. Since the rest of the engine interior still looked good, the connecting rod and bearing shells were exchanged and the engine was reassembled and sealed. The parts are currently being inspected at the factory, while the engine is being returned to the chassis.

Too many faults in my view, and luckily no alternator issues or cush drive rubbers to be replaced

Basically, my idea of poor braking system is confirmed.
Surprising for me how a low power engine requires substitution of chain set every 20000km (typically 40000 km on bigger bikes)
This jointly with other problems makes maintenance much expensive than expected...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM

It doesn’t mean that yours will need those parts at that mileage.
It depends on how it it ridden and maintained.
Also the engine failure could be a one off, l have not been able to find any other instances of engine failure in this bike.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 AM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci View Post
DeepL works quite well

They criticized the brakes and the clutch
Had many problems with the the brakes with rear and front calipers replaced, as well as the front master cylinder
and at 20000km they observed consumption of the front brake disc ("brake disc had already lost 0.25 mm of its original thickness (5.02 mm). Although 50 percent of the wear limit of 4.5 mm is still missing, the brake pistons do not seem to completely compensate for the additional working distance")

cold start issues

Chain set changed at only 20000km (20000km service cost was 773€)

new chain set at 40000km, jointly with steering head bearing and the starter free-wheel

Engine failure (The connecting rod bearing had run in) happened at 47000km and surprisingly
"BMW sent a technician to Stuttgart for this purpose. The engine of the G 310 R was dismantled by the BMW technician in the editorial workshop in the presence of us. Cause: The connecting rod bearing had run in. Since the rest of the engine interior still looked good, the connecting rod and bearing shells were exchanged and the engine was reassembled and sealed. The parts are currently being inspected at the factory, while the engine is being returned to the chassis.

Too many faults in my view, and luckily no alternator issues or cush drive rubbers to be replaced

Basically, my idea of poor braking system is confirmed.
Surprising for me how a low power engine requires substitution of chain set every 20000km (typically 40000 km on bigger bikes)
This jointly with other problems makes maintenance much expensive than expected...

Thank you Marci.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Single cylinder engines are harder on chains due to the power pulses from the engine, particularly at lower RPM

You say it’s “low power” but my old CB250RS was only 23bhp and you’d never get 20,000 out of a chain on that.

Nor the cush drive for that matter. And the engine had twin balancer shafts, so felt smooth (for a single)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Doesn’t sound good!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 PM

https://translate.google.com/transla...ign%3Dmanually

30,000 miles till the engine needs stripping is not great although at least it was fixable I guess? Be interesting to hear if any forum members have made it past this without issues.

I think my chain will just about make it to 15000 miles so that sounds about right. My brakes still feel pretty great, although I am only at 7000 miles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Disassembly of the engine and other components after 50,000 km

This is the usual procedure in this magazine, the test machines are driven 50,000 km and then disassembled to assess the internal wear and compare with other motorcycles. This has nothing to do with the fact that a repair would be due. Is probably a common practice for engineers.

G 310 GS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldi View Post
This is the usual procedure in this magazine, the test machines are driven 50,000 km and then disassembled to assess the internal wear and compare with other motorcycles. This has nothing to do with the fact that a repair would be due. Is probably a common practice for engineers.

Even with that being so from what I could make out it sounded like he was pootling along the motorway shortly before the 50000 km end of the test and some strange/serious noises came from the engine forcing him to pull over and call for breakdown assistance as the connecting rod was blown. No idea how much that costs to be put right if it turns out to be a common higher mileage issue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page