Lithium battery - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I fitted a lithium battery, and am very happy with it. Granted we don't get any days in winter when the temperature is an issue. Even in colder weather, you can 'warm' up the battery by running the headlight for about 30 seconds before cranking the engine. I paid AU$160 for mine including postage via ebay (SSB Lithium Battery BMW G310R). No need for any additional chargers unless you are really draining the battery. The voltage was a bit low when I received the battery, but still enough to start the engine, just needed to go for a long ride to charge it up, haven't had any problems since.
The battery that I got specifically for the 310R was a bit smaller than the oem battery, so you could possibly get a larger higher capacity lithium battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
I fitted a lithium battery, and am very happy with it. Granted we don't get any days in winter when the temperature is an issue. Even in colder weather, you can 'warm' up the battery by running the headlight for about 30 seconds before cranking the engine. I paid AU$160 for mine including postage via ebay (SSB Lithium Battery BMW G310R). No need for any additional chargers unless you are really draining the battery. The voltage was a bit low when I received the battery, but still enough to start the engine, just needed to go for a long ride to charge it up, haven't had any problems since.
The battery that I got specifically for the 310R was a bit smaller than the oem battery, so you could possibly get a larger higher capacity lithium battery.
The problem with Lithium Ion batteries are that they should not be charged under +5C, you can load/discharge them but not charge them... If you can find a way to heat them to a confirmed temp. of more than +5C you should be good to go. To confirm/be certain of cut off temp. check manufacturers recomendations.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 PM

P.J.

you are confusing degrees Centigrades and Lithium battery C ratings,
which defines the maximum current a battery can discharge, compare to the battery's capacity in mAh (milli-ampere per hour).
A well designed battery pack should have an internal circuit to control the charging of the individual batteries so you don't have to mess with it.

Google it, Li-Ion intricacies are to long to explain on a forum like this.

RobertB
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 PM

For what it's worth about cold weather: I had used a lithium battery on a previous bike and in the last days of the riding season, just before storing the bike, I was going to work and parking the bike in temperatures ranging from -5 to +5 C and never had any issues starting the bike.

I read from one manufacturer that indeed you can "warm" the battery a little bit by turning ON ignition and waiting before pushing the starter button:

"Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc... Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather."
Source: https://shoraipower.com/faq

'18 G310R
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbelanger View Post
P.J.

you are confusing degrees Centigrades and Lithium battery C ratings,
which defines the maximum current a battery can discharge, compare to the battery's capacity in mAh (milli-ampere per hour).
A well designed battery pack should have an internal circuit to control the charging of the individual batteries so you don't have to mess with it.

Google it, Li-Ion intricacies are to long to explain on a forum like this.

RobertB
Nope, absolutely not confusing anything here, you need to read up on charging limitations. Large, and I mean large, batteries comes with this written on the batteries themselves.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 PM

It's Lithium Iron for motorcycle batteries, not "ion".

Read this article. It is very informative. With the right "battery management software", it is very safe. If they put it on airplanes, it should be okay for motorcycles!

https://earthxbatteries.com/understa...hium-batteries

$62 on Amazon
Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery

Last edited by NIKITAUCLA; 07-23-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
It's Lithium Iron for motorcycle batteries, not "ion".

Read this article. It is very informative. With the right "battery management software", it is very safe. If they put it on airplanes, it should be okay for motorcycles!

https://earthxbatteries.com/understa...hium-batteries

$62 on Amazon
Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery
A Lithium iron battery is a lithium ion battery, specifically a lithium ion battery that uses LiFePO4.

Using lithium iron phosphate provides longer term stability but at a cost of less energy density compared to other lithium ion batteries such as LiCoO2 (cobalt) or LiMn2O4 (manganese).

As mentioned by NIKITAUCLA, motorcycles use the LiFePO4 lithium ion batteries, which are much safer than the LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4 lithium ion batteries. So don't worry about a ragging iphone type fire coming up between your legs if you fit one to your bike.

(sorry, there was a bit of chemical engineering in my engineering degree)
G0MYW likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:36 PM

I purchased two of these EarthX batteries during the Amazon Prime Day for 50% off the regular $210 price. I'm just too lazy to install it; installing a battery on a motorcycle vs playing with my new 2 lbs puppy? (I think the battery is heavier than the puppy).

Someone needs to come up with a mod to be able to jumpstart a motorcycle without taking the seat out considering how small the jumpstarter battery is now using the same lithium technology.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
Someone needs to come up with a mod to be able to jumpstart a motorcycle without taking the seat out considering how small the jumpstarter battery is now using the same lithium technology.
I've had this on my former bike (R1200GS) where the sadle was more dificult to remove. On my G310GS I just lift off the seat.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a beginner on motorcycles, been trying to learn to drive since 1981. So far crashed only 14 bikes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:59 AM

these batteries require a different charger if you leave the bike for winter. they can also explode. I used to vape....so I was always cautious about this.

why pay so much more money if the regular sealed batteries work just fine? the difference in weight will not be noticed.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page