Looking for my first bike and need some help! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Looking for my first bike and need some help!

Hey everyone!
New to the forum!
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch so forgive me for asking a duplicate question.*
I am looking for my first bike to commute to and from work. My commute is about 20 minutes on a country "highway". More specifically, route 1 just north of Richmond, VA area so it's about 20 min at about 45-55 mph. Between the R and the GS, which one should I be considering, and why? I've ridden the R and loved it and I've sat on the GS a bunch and find it very comfortable. I'm finding it hard to decide because I'm not sure about the differences between the two riding experiences especially*because they have the same engine and transmission.*Any guidance*that y'all can provide would be*much appreciated! If I'm being honest, I like the looks of the R but if the GS is better for what I need, then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again from Virginia!
- Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
in simple terms : -
get the R if you're a road based rider.
get the GS if you plan to go off road for fun
whichever you choose you'll have fun..
Bas310 likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM

If you need to carry stuff the GS comes with a rack otherwise get the you are most comfortable on.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0MYW View Post
in simple terms : -
get the R if you're a road based rider.
get the GS if you plan to go off road for fun
whichever you choose you'll have fun..
I honestly don't plan on taking it off road at all but I would need to either carry a backpack or throw a backpack into some sort of luggage. Can't you as a rack to the r?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
I honestly don't plan on taking it off road at all but I would need to either carry a backpack or throw a backpack into some sort of luggage. Can't you as a rack to the r?
You can add a rack to the R, but you can also strap a bag to the pillion seat, the handles have loops and apertures for straps. That's what I do when I need some storage, I just strap a small leather duffel bag to the back using rok straps.
JakeP likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Garage
yep . I added the rack to my R . its very easy to do.
Or just bargain with the salesman to fit one for you (free of charge of course..!)
JakeP likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I got the R but that was before I knew there was also a GS. In hindsight I would have preferred the GS because it seems more comfortable and is a bit more substantial (looking at least). Either one should be fine, get the one you feel more comfortable on after test riding both. Good luck with your decision!
JakeP likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, y'all! I'll have to see if I can take a GS out for a spin before I can make my decision. I appreciate that BMW allows test rides where I'm from, unlike the Japanese brands. I completely understand why they don't but It's hard for me to drop several grand on something that I've only sat on in a dealership.
I do have to say that aside from stalling it a bunch (that throttle/clutch is tricky when starting from a complete stop), I loved the r! I took it out after getting my endorsement for my first experience on the road and it was so easy to ride! I even went and rode an Indian scout the next day and liked the G310R better. I know they're completely different bikes but I liked the weight and ease of riding the R much more than I liked the added power of the Indian especially for my first bike.
G0MYW likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
Thanks for the insight, y'all! I'll have to see if I can take a GS out for a spin before I can make my decision. I appreciate that BMW allows test rides where I'm from, unlike the Japanese brands. I completely understand why they don't but It's hard for me to drop several grand on something that I've only sat on in a dealership.
I do have to say that aside from stalling it a bunch (that throttle/clutch is tricky when starting from a complete stop), I loved the r! I took it out after getting my endorsement for my first experience on the road and it was so easy to ride! I even went and rode an Indian scout the next day and liked the G310R better. I know they're completely different bikes but I liked the weight and ease of riding the R much more than I liked the added power of the Indian especially for my first bike.
Yep, you'll get used to the clutch throttle play. I'm now on my unrestricted licence and still love the R, I'm in no hurry to upgrade and have had the bike for over two years. Touch wood, apart from a flat tyre, nothing has gone wrong with the bike.

What colour are you looking at?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 PM

I think you'll be fine with either as long as you're not doing extended highway.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page