BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Looking for my first bike and need some help!

12K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  JakeP 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
New to the forum!
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch so forgive me for asking a duplicate question.*
I am looking for my first bike to commute to and from work. My commute is about 20 minutes on a country "highway". More specifically, route 1 just north of Richmond, VA area so it's about 20 min at about 45-55 mph. Between the R and the GS, which one should I be considering, and why? I've ridden the R and loved it and I've sat on the GS a bunch and find it very comfortable. I'm finding it hard to decide because I'm not sure about the differences between the two riding experiences especially*because they have the same engine and transmission.*Any guidance*that y'all can provide would be*much appreciated! If I'm being honest, I like the looks of the R but if the GS is better for what I need, then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again from Virginia!
- Jake

#7 ·
I got the R but that was before I knew there was also a GS. In hindsight I would have preferred the GS because it seems more comfortable and is a bit more substantial (looking at least). Either one should be fine, get the one you feel more comfortable on after test riding both. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: JakeP
#8 ·
Thanks for the insight, y'all! I'll have to see if I can take a GS out for a spin before I can make my decision. I appreciate that BMW allows test rides where I'm from, unlike the Japanese brands. I completely understand why they don't but It's hard for me to drop several grand on something that I've only sat on in a dealership.
I do have to say that aside from stalling it a bunch (that throttle/clutch is tricky when starting from a complete stop), I loved the r! I took it out after getting my endorsement for my first experience on the road and it was so easy to ride! I even went and rode an Indian scout the next day and liked the G310R better. I know they're completely different bikes but I liked the weight and ease of riding the R much more than I liked the added power of the Indian especially for my first bike.

#9 ·
Yep, you'll get used to the clutch throttle play. I'm now on my unrestricted licence and still love the R, I'm in no hurry to upgrade and have had the bike for over two years. Touch wood, apart from a flat tyre, nothing has gone wrong with the bike.

What colour are you looking at?

#16 ·
I know a woman who did a BBG (Bun Burner Gold - 1500 miles in less than 24 hours) on her GS and has done a few SaddleSores (1000 miles < 24 hours)

The bike is quite capable.

#12 ·
My commute is about 25 min of lane splitting down the motorway. It's about 35km a day but have happily done 350km trips in a day.

I haven't been on the GS as it doesn't appeal to me. I have a backpack to carry everything I need.

The bike is fine at 110km for extended times, I've done 1.5 hour motorway rides at that speed with no issues.

I'm 6'2 and after 1.5 to 2 hours I tend to find the bike a bit cramped.

#14 ·
But, if I'm being honest, the GS doesn't speak to me the way the R does. I'm more of a sport-bike fan over the ADV touring style but with my back, I need a more upright riding position. That being said, if the GS will be better for my back, I'm not opposed to that either.

Thanks for your help y'all!

#17 ·
One thought on the R vs. the GS - if you'e commuting, you will sit a bit more upright on the GS - this gives you better visibility from both aspects - you will be more easily seen by others and you will be able to see your surroundings better. Not huge amounts, but an edge.

As has been noted, though, buy the one that makes you smile.

Side note regarding rack - the GS rack will bolt right on the to the R - exact fit.

If you get the R, head on over to ADVRider.com and hit the G310GS forum - lots of dirt riders - some of whom may be willing to swap their rack for your grab handles. Quite a few have done this.

#18 ·
Both the Black and the motorsport colours are great, if you get the motorsport colour get your seat covered in red like the RnineT gs!

In terms of easy on your back, even the R has a very upright position, I've been riding the last 2 days with a sore back (slept funny), but have had no problems from the bike

#20 ·
I would say, look at all your options. If this is your 1st bike and plan on doing any sort of highway riding in the future, I would look at something bigger with a little more room to grow. I had a Yamaha WR250R for my 1st bike and loved it! I had it for 4 yrs but once I hit the highway a lot, I moved on to the FZ07, but I always like the BMWs and then I bought a 310GS because I wanted to do some trail riding, and thought that it being a little bigger than my 250, it would be better on the highway,(and it way a little)but the 310GS screamed louder on the highway them my 250 did. Then the stator failed At around 2600miles and it was in the shop for more than 4 months. BMW bought it back and I moved on to the 750GS. I always wanted a GS and after having a bigger bike, I found the 310 to be underpowered. I loved the bike, but when your going 55 and up a hill, you will need to downshift to keep the power going. My point is, I would have kept my 1st bike longer if it was more capable. I don’t know what your budget is, but if you could go bigger, I would! My 2 cents

#26 ·
Decide what you intend to do with it. For me, the choice was easy...I sat on both and the GS felt great while the R was really cramped. Plus, I knew I was going to take it on long trips through multiple countries and wanted the GS for rough roads and being able to stand up on the pegs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.