Seat question - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Seat question

I finally got to sit on a 310r. Part of the seat flares out so that when i sat on it, it was harder to get enough foot on the ground to feel comfortable. I know this may be a stupid question but are you supposed to sit in front of that wider part of the seat, more toward the tank?
I was also on the z400, which has the same seat height but I felt like I could touch the ground a little better because the seat doesn’t flare out like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:56 AM

I have a Duke 390 and the same problem as you!
As the seat is also wider at the rear.

I just sit at the front of the seat, and then move back when l get going.
It soon becomes second nature to move forward as l come to a stop.

At first l thought l would need the lowering kit, as l can only get the balls of my feet down.
In fact l bought the KTM kit which cost around 260/$300

But again, after a while l got more confidence and began to just put one foot down.
Like the BMW, the KTM is so light weight (for a motorcycle) that putting only one foot down when l stop is not a problem.

I never fitted the lowering kit.

Last edited by lightning; 09-15-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I am reluctant to install the lowering kit because if I ever went to sell, it might be an issue.
I was thinking about possibly having the seat shaved a little, though.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:08 PM

Can you get one foot down fully, without any issues?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Do you mean, if I were to leave my right foot on the peg, could i get my left foot down? I think so. But can a new rider start out from a stop like that?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Shortrider View Post
Do you mean, if I were to leave my right foot on the peg, could i get my left foot down? I think so. But can a new rider start out from a stop like that?

A new rider should start out like that. Exactly like that.

Left foot on the ground.
Right foot on the peg with toe on the brake.
In first gear.
Clutch pulled in.
Eyes checking mirrors, escape route including between cars, cross traffic, traffic lights.
That way you are ready. Traffic light, leaving work, hill start, any situation.

Don't be caught two feet down, in neutral, looking in shop windows at how cool you look and getting rear ended by the car behind you while you frig about trying to get it into first gear on the green light.
porth likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
A new rider should start out like that. Exactly like that.

Left foot on the ground.
Right foot on the peg with toe on the brake.
In first gear.
Clutch pulled in.
Eyes checking mirrors, escape route including between cars, cross traffic, traffic lights.
That way you are ready. Traffic light, leaving work, hill start, any situation.

Don't be caught two feet down, in neutral, looking in shop windows at how cool you look and getting rear ended by the car behind you while you frig about trying to get it into first gear on the green light.
Yep, that's exactly what they try to drill into you during the motorcycle courses. Always be ready to go! I only change into neutral when turning off the bike, or when I want to put the side stand down and keep the engine running, or when I need to use both hands while pulled over.

I love the fact that BMW have made it hard to accidentally change to neutral when going from 1-2 or 2-1
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Usually, though, they say that beginners should be able to have 2 feet on the ground. I was taught, in my course, left foot down first but nobody ever said to keep the right foot on the peg. Yes, they said to stay in 1st at stops.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM

don't worry about these anal things that they teach on motocycle courses; it is for babies, not for real bikers. you can keep 2 feet on the ground and be happy. why to keep the right foot on the brake peg??? makes no sense. hold the brake with the hand brake lever, and be more stable on the ground.

if one is shorter, at least one should touch the ground with tip toes of the two feet, or else you can lose balance.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
don't worry about these anal things that they teach on motocycle courses; it is for babies, not for real bikers. you can keep 2 feet on the ground and be happy. why to keep the right foot on the brake peg??? makes no sense. hold the brake with the hand brake lever, and be more stable on the ground.

if one is shorter, at least one should touch the ground with tip toes of the two feet, or else you can lose balance.
You are not a "real biker". Sorry but please don't give bad advice.
- Using the front or the rear brake at a stop is a choice. There is no right or wrong way.
- Two feet on the ground or one at a stop is also a choice.
1. If I want to accelerate very quickly, my left foot on the peg ready to shift while the right foot is on the ground.
2. If I'm just relaxing, either boot feet on the ground or one....don't matter.
3. If I'm on an incline, foot on the brake is way better than finger on the front brake. If you disagree, you're an idiot.

To the original poster,
Get the Kawasaki Z400, it's way better because it is more powerful and comfortable.

both bikes, you can install the lowering link. I installed the lowering link on the G310R for my wife who is 5'1. I'm 5'5 and can ride fast with the lowering link no issues in the cayons. Don't listen to idiots about it's not good to lower the bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page