BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Trade-in value - wait for it ... how it works in California

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Oilhed 
#1 ·
Today I decided to check out a possible replacement for my little 310R. All the experiences with serious breakdowns (exploding clutches, imploding charging systems, seized-up rusting brakes, coolant leaks) coupled with deplorable service from BMW got me worried.
Well I believe I am married to the bike and divorce could be expensive.

The scene: large multi-make motorcycle dealer in Los Angeles. The contender a 2019 Suzuki 400 DRSM (supermoto, because I really like that type of bike) advertised on the website for $6,299, $1,050 below MSRP ("SALE"). Trading in the 310R from Feb 2018 with 2,060 miles and an Akrapovic exhaust and Puig levers. Never been down, looks brand new, runs like a top, bla bla bla.

The numbers: "please pay us $7,200 and give us the BMW, and we'll give you the Suzuki".

The main elements in there are $1,800 'A.D.M. fees' (Additional Dealer Markup) and a trade-in value of 'market value' $1,250, generously increased "so we can get you out of here with the new bike TODAY" by another $250.

I expect they would put the 310 on the floor for say $4,250 (sorry, $4,199 'plus fees').

So for a bike advertised for $6,300 I would trade in my $3,500 BMW and I expected to pay an additional say $3,500 including the 10% California sales tax nobody ever mentions until the very end. Instead they wanted more than double that. I just had to laugh, thanked the friendly sales person, and walked out thinking "what a total waste of time that was".

It was a good reminder of how some dealers in the US work, get away with false advertising, and how they approach their customer relationship.

See less See more
#4 ·
I traded my 310GS for the F850gs. My 310 had about 11k miles a few scratches here and there, no aftermarket parts other than SW-MOTECH skid plate and the handlebar that I had to replace because the OEM bent on a fall. They paid $3500 on my bike. I know that I could have probably got a better a deal selling to a third party but I think the 3500 was a fear price and I got a really nice deal on the 850.

Your trade-in value of 1250 is SUCH A BULLSHIT!!!!! I am glad you walked out of that dealer.

#9 ·
If you would have traded in your bike at BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan, you would have gotten $3,000-$3,500 for your 310R and your fees would have been a $95 document fee and about $48 for your plate/tag and then your state tax. That's it! No gouging or hidden fees here. Glad you saw through their bullshit. Bring them a quote from another dealer and watch those ADM fees disappear!

#10 ·
Last Monday I did sell my G310R, to a nice young couple who recently got their motorcycle licenses as their first bike. Put it on Craiglist at 11 AM and by 4 PM it was sold (could have gone quicker, but went shopping for shoes with my son at 2 PM). Got a fair price, and they got a great bike.

The main reason for selling was that I have started to bicycle to work (7 miles each way) and find that more enjoyable, and healthier, than the motorcycle. So that means two of my three motorcycles have to go, because they no longer are getting regular use and that's not good. Next up is the 1976 Yamaha XS650, I will be holding on to my BMW C650 'maxi' scooter, as she is the most versatile and also most pleasant to ride on the freeway, when I need to. Also the safest. And I was concerned about the issues that have been plagueing the G310 bikes, just a bit too many for my taste.

I will keep checking in here for sure, although I have asked to be relieved of moderator duties (mostly deleting spam messages).

#13 ·
I asked $3,900 but my wife settled for their offer (I was not monitoring her!) for 3,500. I'm sure it could have fetched 3,800 easily. Mods were Akrapovich exhaust and Puig levers. 2,331 miles on the clock, clean title and the famous 'never been down'.

#15 ·
Best of luck with the KTM. I still visit here from time to time. Would be interested to hear your experiences with the new bike. I still have my C650 scooter which is better for LA traffic, especially the highways.

#17 ·
I continue to feel that the G310R is a beautiful motorcycle. I just wish BMW would give the bike premium features and bump up the power. I'm willing to pay more. I jumped to the KTM 790 Duke because, for the money, the 790 is one of the most technologically advanced motorcycles.

These are the reasons why I jumped to KTM:
1. Standard ABS and Lean Angle ABS
2. Traction Control
3. Ride Modes: Rain, Street, Sports, Track, SuperMoto
4. Anti Wheelie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.