Precautions upto 1st service??? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Precautions upto 1st service???

HI GUYS,
I've ordered bmw g310r and I've been told by my another g310r rider that we should not cross 6000 rpm upto 1st service.

IS THAT CORRECT??? if not, what care should we take upto first service and can we rev at righer rpms before 1st service.

kindly reply ASAP,
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:59 PM

You need to take care with it up until the first service.
No full throttle and no high RPM

6,000 rpm is a recommendation, it won’t blow up if you exceed that but it’s advisable to stay under that limit, just ride the bike with care.

After the first service you can ride faster, but build up to full power, don’t leave the dealer after the service and do 10,000rpm in every gear.

By the time it’s done 1,000 miles you are fine to use the full performance
G0MYW likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
HI GUYS,
I've ordered bmw g310r and I've been told by my another g310r rider that we should not cross 6000 rpm upto 1st service.

IS THAT CORRECT??? if not, what care should we take upto first service and can we rev at righer rpms before 1st service.

kindly reply ASAP,
thank you
Read the manual, it will provide you with the required information. You can also download a pdf version of the manual from the BMW website.
G0MYW likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM

No. I purchased the G310R used when it had 20 miles on the odometer.
I've never baby it. I've taken it to red-line numerous times. On a daily basis, I've taken the bike to within 1000 rpms near red-line all the time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
HI GUYS,

kindly reply ASAP,
thank you
Look. It comes with a three years/36k miles warranty. Why are you worried?
Just ride it the way you want to ride it. Period.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 PM
aob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
No. I purchased the G310R used when it had 20 miles on the odometer.
I've never baby it. I've taken it to red-line numerous times. On a daily basis, I've taken the bike to within 1000 rpms near red-line all the time.
I am with you. Break-in is what they do at the factory. The manual is about warranty management, in BMWs interest, not the consumers. Engine break-in procedures have been studied endlessly and for the most part they're worthless. If it made a big difference, don't you think bmw would run them in on dyno to be sure? Why would they expose themselves to the liability?

My two other bikes have 96k miles and 14K miles on them and run great. My break in procedure is very simple. Ride like you're going to ride it, change the oil and filter extra frequently the first few thousand miles and don't worry about it.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 AM

Go to MC Garage on YouTube and they have a video on it with Ari Henning. They compare "ride it like you stole it" to manufacturer break-in procedure in manual. They then tear down the engine and inspect the parts. Result, no difference.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 AM

Regarding Running in, I'm just throwing it out there, not looking for or trying to start an argument, however consider this...
A few years ago were I used to work, we had a fleet of cars that were changed over to Volvo estates. 2 new cars arrived, one of these was carefully run in and the other was used as a pool car and not too fine a point on it was not run in at all, it had a hard life from day 1.
5 years later when these cars were due to be replaced, the 'not run in' car, was not replaced because it was by far the better car even tho had higher mileage, and had far less spares replaced - I was responsible for parts ordering, service and maintenance schedules.
Just saying......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 AM

Running In

Quote:
HI GUYS,

kindly reply ASAP,
thank you
The manual says under 6000 rpm for first 180 miles/300 Km and then no full throttle until first service (600 miles/1000 Km). Also vary RPM as much as possible.

Last edited by PeeJay00; 10-25-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:22 AM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukemeister View Post
Regarding Running in, I'm just throwing it out there, not looking for or trying to start an argument, however consider this...
A few years ago were I used to work, we had a fleet of cars that were changed over to Volvo estates. 2 new cars arrived, one of these was carefully run in and the other was used as a pool car and not too fine a point on it was not run in at all, it had a hard life from day 1.
5 years later when these cars were due to be replaced, the 'not run in' car, was not replaced because it was by far the better car even tho had higher mileage, and had far less spares replaced - I was responsible for parts ordering, service and maintenance schedules.
Just saying......

I was careful with my 310 but take your point. There must be thousands of ex-hire cars out there which are just fine despite never having any sort of running in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page