G 310 R _ Vandalism Repair - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By G0MYW
  • 1 Post By aob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy G 310 R _ Vandalism Repair

I parked my bike in its own parking spot. Recently, I walked out to go on a ride only to find my brake lever on my seat. I dont know how or who did it but now its cold here and I cant drive my bike to any nearby dealer as well. I as wondering if someone could take a look at the pictures I have uploaded and estimate what happened? (like whats part should I get or what should I do?)

I absolutely have no clue about motorcycles except for riding them. So i could use any help on this issue, that way I can order the appropriate parts and take it to a mechanic nearby instead of walking in there without any clue and get ripped off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	13718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2379.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	13720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	13722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	13724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	13726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2357.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	13728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2337.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	13730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Garage
you need a new Brake Master cylinder.!
some D1ck H3ad has snapped that off.
Your insurance may pay.? depending on cover you have
Karthik Sai likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 PM
aob

taking a second look I guess all of the pieces are there afterall. I might try a repair if i was desperate but i have other vehicles, i'd just go get an aftermarket master cylinder from a bike shop and call it done.

Since the system will need to be bled after replacement and you're not familiar with the work i think you're bike is going to need to ride to a shop..

Last edited by aob; 10-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:21 PM
aob

ugh my post got screwed up.

you need the entire assembly, item 1, from your diagram if going with a stock replacement.. plus fluid, plus a bleeder and the bleeding procedure because ABS..

I still can't make sense of how this happened. I am wondering if there was a defect in the cheap casting and may not have been strictly vandalism.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

The dealer just said that I would need new brake lever for about 180$ and labor for about 100$. A total of 320$ with taxes and everything. But the only issue is I am 60 miles away from a dealer but I cant get to him anytime soon. (living in the mid-west, its too windy and cold to drive).

This is just my assumption:

There was no damage to the paint or any other part except for the exhaust cover (the silver one). Even that one shows light scratches. I am think a guy tried to sit on it or balance it. In doing so he must have dropped it slowly. When he did try to pick it up he must have held on to the brake lever instead if the arm bar. The most sensible explanation I could think of.

Thank you for your response. Very much appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Won't BMW Roadside Assistance help you with this ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 PM
aob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Sai View Post
The dealer just said that I would need new brake lever for about 180$ and labor for about 100$. A total of 320$ with taxes and everything. But the only issue is I am 60 miles away from a dealer but I cant get to him anytime soon. (living in the mid-west, its too windy and cold to drive).

This is just my assumption:

There was no damage to the paint or any other part except for the exhaust cover (the silver one). Even that one shows light scratches. I am think a guy tried to sit on it or balance it. In doing so he must have dropped it slowly. When he did try to pick it up he must have held on to the brake lever instead if the arm bar. The most sensible explanation I could think of.

Thank you for your response. Very much appreciated.
To be clear that's not just the lever they're replacing? It's clearly the master cylinder housing that fractured. You're lever is probably fine mechanically.. Most of that labor is probably to bleed the system after the new master is installed and fluid topped up.

A drunk sitting on the bike i guess could cause anything.. Including violence if i stumbled upon them..
G0MYW likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page