Buying g310r from private seller - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By porth
  • 1 Post By NIKITAUCLA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys I just joined this forum and im in the works to get my first bike. I am buying from a private seller who has a 2018 g310r with only 17 miles on it. It’s been sitting in the garage for a while and was bought by the seller in april 2019.

I’m just wondering first of all, can I ride the bmw g310r even if it has recall issues with the brake calipers?

Also would I need to get maintenance on it after I buy it since it’s been in the garage for a while or do I not have to since it only has 17 miles on it.

And lastly will I be covered for the brake calipers if the warranty doesn’t end until 2022?

I love the look of this bike and i think it would fit me as a beginner rider. Thanks for taking the time to checkout my post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdkry135 View Post
Hey guys I just joined this forum and im in the works to get my first bike. I am buying from a private seller who has a 2018 g310r with only 17 miles on it. Itís been sitting in the garage for a while and was bought by the seller in april 2019.

Iím just wondering first of all, can I ride the bmw g310r even if it has recall issues with the brake calipers?

Also would I need to get maintenance on it after I buy it since itís been in the garage for a while or do I not have to since it only has 17 miles on it.

And lastly will I be covered for the brake calipers if the warranty doesnít end until 2022?

I love the look of this bike and i think it would fit me as a beginner rider. Thanks for taking the time to checkout my post!
Depending on the country you're in, but mostly yes to both.

Here in Australia you can still ride with the recall in place, they will inspect the brakes (even out of warranty) and replace the calipers if necessary.

Ride it in as per the manual and suggestions and then get the 1000km service done.

You should be able to get a good deal for it, it's a great beginner bike and also a great bike for non-beginners.
G0MYW likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 PM

Hello Newbie.

Welcome. I too purchased a used 2018 G310R with only 20 miles on it.
Just ride it like you stole it. There's no need to do any maintenance on it. It's a brand new bike!
Well, may be check if the battery is okay but that's about it.
If you live in warm climate like here in California, don't worry about the brake recall. I don't. I will bring it in when I'm good and ready.
Heck, I didn't even change the oil until it reached 1000 miles. I also did this myself. It's easy!

Just enjoy the bike. Don't worry about anything.

In the US, this bike somes with a three years or 36k miles warranty. Why worry? Yes, the warranty is transferable. It is just like a car warranty.
G0MYW likes this.

Last edited by NIKITAUCLA; 01-13-2020 at 07:01 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Depending on the country you're in, but mostly yes to both.

Here in Australia you can still ride with the recall in place, they will inspect the brakes (even out of warranty) and replace the calipers if necessary.

Ride it in as per the manual and suggestions and then get the 1000km service done.

You should be able to get a good deal for it, it's a great beginner bike and also a great bike for non-beginners.
Ah awesome thanks for letting me know! I live the US on the east coast and right now its pretty chilly however there hasn't been much snow so I'm not worried about the salt corrosion. I also probably won't be driving too much when its freezing or raining outside to start out. Also do you know the exact reason for the corrosion?

And this is a new concept to me, I read around the forum today and that you have to break in the bike for about 1000km?

I was planning on buying from a dealership but I got a good deal on the 17mile bike from a private seller and also the dealer had no idea when the stop sale would be done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
Hello Newbie.

Welcome. I too purchased a used 2018 G310R with only 20 miles on it.
Just ride it like you stole it. There's no need to do any maintenance on it. It's a brand new bike!
Well, may be check if the battery is okay but that's about it.
If you live in warm climate like here in California, don't worry about the brake recall. I don't. I will bring it in when I'm good and ready.
Heck, I didn't even change the oil until it reached 1000 miles. I also did this myself. It's easy!

Just enjoy the bike. Don't worry about anything.

In the US, this bike somes with a three years or 36k miles warranty. Why worry? Yes, the warranty is transferable. It is just like a car warranty.
Ah haha cool! Unfortunately I'm on the east coast so its quite cold here but I'm lucky there hasn't been much snow where I'm at so there's not much salt on the roads. I am going to college in cali though and I'm super excited! But I do think I'm gonna be bringing my car instead of the bike just for practicality.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Welcome here and, yes, just start riding the bike and don't worry about maintenance until the first service is due at 1,000 miles. Do, as said before, check the battery condition, and also check the performance of the brakes. Although I live in Southern California, my bikes sit next to ocean water and my rear brake had started to malfunction, so I had to take it apart and clean the piston, now it works again fine. I am waiting for the permanent fix before I take it to the dealer. But, aside from those basic checks, I would just enjoy it.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdkry135 View Post
Ah haha cool! Unfortunately I'm on the east coast so its quite cold here but I'm lucky there hasn't been much snow where I'm at so there's not much salt on the roads. I am going to college in cali though and I'm super excited! But I do think I'm gonna be bringing my car instead of the bike just for practicality.
No No no. California is the perfect state to ride a motorcycle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Bring both, that's perfect.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Or better still, buy one when you're over in California.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page