BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Starting with gear engaged

13K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  XRaiders 
#1 ·
My bike no longer starts with a gear engaged. (Obviously clutch in no side stand.) Anyone else had this or have any thoughts?
Identical feeling to trying to start with kill switch on.
I did have the clutch lever and gear lever replaced by BMW (they were knocked out of place) and it has been since then. Any ideas gratefully received!

#6 ·
Also (assuming that it does start in neutral):

Does the engine die when you shift into gear?

If so, then it's the side stand switch. If not, then the side stand switch isn't to blame.

The same applies to the clutch switch. Interlock switches are binary beasts - either they work or they don't.

We really need more info as to what does and does not work..

#7 ·
Yes always starts in neutral and no dying out with gear changes. No problems at all except if I happen to stall in 1st as our 310’s can occasionally do I can’t restart imm clutch in. Testing further at no time can I start with a gear selected. Only ever in neutral. Same behaviour as if the kill switch us on. Ie nothing.
Thank you for all your suggestions so far!

#8 ·
I know what you mean, on my very first ride on this bike I stalled across a line of oncoming cars, was very grateful to find the bike would start in gear with clutch in so I could skedaddle out of there.
Still sounds to me like a clutch switch, please let us know what you find. Cheers.

#12 · (Edited)
So - the side stand switch is operating properly.

The clutch interlock also appears to be working properly.

Just about the only thing left is that the gear position sensor and/or the ECU is doing something wonky.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that I have ever tried to start mine in gear with the side stand up. Need to do it and see what happens.

Edit - + 5 minutes. Mine starts in gear with the side stand up.

#20 ·
It is about clutch switch/sensor. When you remove the lever you will see small metal strip, you just bend it a bit more so it gets activated earlier.

After reinstalling and pulling the lever you should haer silent click and be able to say in which position it gets activated.

#23 · (Edited)
Maybe, it's a problem of the switch in the clutch lever holder, seems to be a microswitch.
I had a similar problem with my last bike, a Honda CBF 600SA PC 43, 3 years old, after short time the brake lights didn't work when pulling the hand lever. This problem is known as a problem with the build-in-microswitch, the part, Honda uses, isn't very durable.
I bought a new one at ebay (no OEM) and the problem was solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.