BMW G310 R/GS Forum - View Single Post - Maximum rear tyres wide?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM
heap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayala View Post
Hello. Could anyone of you guy help me to know whci is the maximum wide of tyres that I can install to my bike. My understanding is that the g310 has 150 in the rear tyres. I was wondering to maybe install a 160 or even a 170. Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.
I suppose you like the look of a wider tire and that's your main motivation here ?

Because besides of looks, I don't think you would gain anything: more expensive, more weight, slower to turn-in.

You can take a guess by adding 5mm on each side of your current tire and see how a 160 would do. First thing subject to rub would be the chain guard.

Also keep in mind the height ratio. If you just take a wider tire while keeping the same 2nd digit in the size, that means the tire would also be "higher". Ex.: Stock is 150/60 R17, if you put a 160/60 R17 the overall tire diameter would be 12mm more than stock, affecting overall geometry of the bike. Might also come close to rubbing the rear wheel hugger. 160/55 R17 would be closer in height to the stock tire.

'18 G310R

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome