BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Nuts and bolts

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DRTDVL 
#1 ·
I have just spent a large portion of the day stripping the plastic from the 310GS to install a set of USB sockets and a power socket. All went well if not slowly while removing the plastic. I inserted the sockets and tested that they were operating as they should as this was all successful, I began to reassemble the bike. I was almost fully back together when I realized I had to many bolts for the remaining two small pieces. So back to the drawing board as the saying goes. All was dismantled again, and I counted all the places where the bolts go, and I had the right amount. So, I began to reassemble it again. Now its all back together and I have found another two bolts spare. I’ve packed up out of frustration and will come at it fresh tomorrow.

#3 ·
I have in the past made this mistake and I now use my mobile phone to take photos as I take something apart. Five minutes taking photos at each stage saves hours of head scratching later on!! I always start the bike after I have finished so if there a problem it still fresh in your mind what you have just done.

#4 ·
For my earlyer Beemers I've used the fiches from Max BMW Motorcycles, and still had bolts and nuts left. Ones I had almost half of a motorcycle left, next time I did the disassembly-assembly operation, I was left with two motorcycles :wink2:

With this little new BabyGS, I will probably have three, 'cus there's so many screws, nuts and bolts :grin2:

Here's a 5 second sexually abbusive criminal story for you: A nut screws washers, and bolts. The End!
(If you don't get it, never mind! You need a certaine kind of Brittish humor to understand it. I'm a Finn, by the way :wink2:)

#5 ·
I cant remember what I had for breakfast. Pro-tip on taking pictures or video. I find myself doing it all of the time now. Forgetting and taking pictures.

DriverKelly if you tackle this again and decide to takes pics/video would love for you to share. USB/power socket is on my to do list and I'm afraid of removing the plastics based on what I have read. Lessons learnt from other canary's might make life a litter easy for others in the future.
Thanks

#9 ·
It definitely is not a daunting task and under most circumstances it’s all about being patient. There are some parts on this job that if you are not thorough while checking what you do it is easy to miss some of the locations for the bolts especially up under the front mud guard where it is difficult to see if you are working on your own like most of us do. As we get older laying on the ground holding some sort of light with glasses that flop around when you don’t want them to, add to that the body that creeks and groans this all add’s a lot more colour to the task.
I have found where my extra bolts should have been put and so now it is complete. I can ride it without worrying something might fall off.

#15 · (Edited)
As we get older laying on the ground holding some sort of light with glasses that flop around when you don’t want them to, add to that the body that creeks and groans this all add’s a lot more colour to the task.
You can get small leds go over your hands/wrists, or headlamps, or leds in a hat/bennie... They work really well.

Also one of the best things I've bought for working on vehicles was a army surplus shirt that has padded for arms, elbows, and shoulders. Was insanely good when I was crewing for my friends rally car and we had to do repairs on the ground on the side of a road.

#10 ·
I add the BMW POWER ACCESSORY SOCKET, $45 didn’t have to remove any of the plastics, you just stick your hand into the right side of the bike and you will feel the plug wire tied to a set of wrapped wires. Cut the wire tie and the plug hangs down. Take the cap off, install the adapter in the frame hole apply the nut to tighten it and plug the two together. Took about 20 minutes because I was being extra careful. Works great, turns off with the key. Bought the plug in adapter to fast charge 2 USB devices fast for $26 from the dealer. Money well spent.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
On the GS you can get the headlight out without taking all the tupperware off, it's a booger to get it out and you will think you're going to break something, but it does in fact come out the front. There is another post on this also. Just remove the two mounting bolts, one on each side, tilt the light up and left, push from the rear, slip a thin screwdriver or small paint scraper in on the right side to force the retaining/attaching clip past the plastic that it hanges up on. Once out you will see the two plugs that have dead end covers. In, is easier than out, and you will need the same tool and technique in reverse. Takes a while at night on a dark street to get the headlight re-aligned, just a touch up or down and it is either showing 30 feet in front of you or it's searching for drowns.

#13 ·
bag-um

I buy zip lock pill bags at the drug store, they're about 1.5 inches square, put the attaching bolts in them and electrical tape them next to the hole they go in, keeps everthing in order and dosn't take to much extra time and the tape dosn't leave any goo behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.