Confirmed: BMW To Make Mini-GS In 2017 Based On G310Rís Motor - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Confirmed: BMW To Make Mini-GS In 2017 Based On G310Rís Motor

This may be the update some of you have been waiting for. We already knew that BMW plans to come out with a whole lineup based on the G310R, first it was the Akula and now it’s the mini-GS.

The confirmation came directly from BMW Motorrad UK’s director Phil Horton in an interview with Motorcycle Sport & Leisure.

He said: “New models aside, the line-up isn’t as comprehensive as it needs to be. But there are plenty more bikes to come, including, hopefully in 2017, a G310R GS-style derivative. That’s quite an interesting proposition in itself.”

There are currently 7 GS models available but only two of them has the word ‘adventure’ tacked onto it, the BMW F 800 GS Adventure and the R 1200 GS Adventure. The mini-GS could be modeled after either one of these and with it designed around the 34bhp single-cylinder naked bike, it will most definitely come at a more affordable price than the R 1200 GS’ $22k MSRP.

Based on the current GS adventure bikes, we could see the mini-GS come with ABS as standard, a larger fuel tank or maybe the engine will be tuned to push out a bit more torque to overcome any off-road challenges you may encounter.

The mini-GS release date is set to be next year and we could hear more from BMW near the end of this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 AM

This is what dreams are made of! I've always wanted a R 1200 GS but there's no way I'm going to pay so much for one. A g310r may not have as much power nor will it be as capable but it's going to be a sort of gateway bike for the GS line. I'm definitely going to wait for the mini GS now.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Smart move on their part by using the well known GS name to go with their more affordable G310R. Kind of validates the G310R ADV as a legitimate but less powerful adventure bike and this segment seems to be booming. There's the GS and the new Africa Twin but not everyone who wants it can afford it, the G310R ADV will be a great alternative for that untapped market.
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM

We'll most likely see a similar beak on the mini GS and heavy duty materials for the fairings and general structure so it can take more of a beating. We can probably assume that BMW will add a set of spoked wheels and long travel suspension.

Also, with it's small size, the mini gs should be more manageable off road than a full sized one and perfect for new adventure riders.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM

Easier to maneuver and work with when it doesn't weigh as much as the 1200. I'm now debating which g310r variant I want now; sport, adventure or the base g310r.

Adventure is sounding better and better to me.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Think this one will be made in the TVS facility or the assembly plant in Berlin where the GS is being built?
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Makes sense to produce it at the TVS factory and all they'll need to do is change a few body panels and other parts. Majority of the platform is still going to be from the g310r. I've just reread the Phil Horton's comment. He said "hopefully" a GS g310r will come in the future, so right now it's still up in the air if it'll go into production or not. We'll have to wait and see how this pans out.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Someone made a rendering of what the Adventure G310R could look like and rushlane published them on their site. They're calling it the BMW F310GS.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:36 AM

They certainly has the GS beak down and it has similar headlights. If BMW does produce something similar to this, the sub 500cc GS may be a big hit. Only thing off about it is the exhaust which looks to exit the front of the cylinder instead of the G310R's reverse cylinder.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:44 AM

I assume since this is an adventure/touring bike, the gas tank will be larger than the g310r so you can ride for a longer period of time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page