BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at all of the top case options, and was dissapointed with their cost and their weight carrying capacities. The cases themselves are fairly pricey, and then they also need mounting lots and adaptors, and by the time you've shelled out a whole lot of money; you can only put 12 pounds in it?!

I intend to use this as my commuter vehicle, and want to carry groceries and tools. I don't want to put hundreds of pounds on the back, but at least 50 seems reasonable to ask.

Anyways, long story short, a nice big pelican top case can sit on top of the passenger seat, and strap down securely through the strap slits on the grab handles.

330 for the water proof case, 20 for the straps, 10 for the reflective tape; I think I have a better and more useful case and for less money than Givi or Shad offer.

In response to anticipated questions...

It doesn't crowd my seat too badly, does make a decent backrest though.

It measures about 100 liter capacity, roughly 20x20x18. I originally ordered a 19x19x16 case, but that got delayed in shipping and I ordered this instead. It looks ugly, but comes off quickly and holds a lot of stuff!

Is it safe? Feels pretty secure to me. Probably more secure than a 150 pound passenger. After testing it on lonely roads with increasing weights at increasing speeds, I feel comfortable with it.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just takes practice ;)

Yeah, it is a bit of a Chuck Norris kick, then a side hop. Having a 34" inseam helps I am sure. And again, it is not a beautiful solution. Nothing elegant about it or getting on or off the bike. But, it is a very rugged and waterproof case (lifetime warranty!), that can hold more volume and weight than the other options, while costing less! I might take another photo, those low light cell phone pictures really look pretty poor.

Registered
Well done bike luggage can be very expensive for what at times is just 2 x washing bowls with a hinge + lock..
some years ago in my "Blood Bike" days the set-up was similar - weight over the pillion seat.
I still put any heavy stuff on there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally on the pizza delivery!

It looks either like those cases that delivery riders in NYC zip around with, or like an Israeli paramedic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts