BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Wondering if you all could help. I owened BMWg310r for a year. I miss3d the 600 and 6,000 mile service. i have 13,400 miles on it so far. Dealership says a 12,000 mile service will cost $800, because I missed the first two. Right now I don’t have the money to cover it, I have 600. I Don’t know what all is involved in a tuneup, arethere parts that can wait and just pay the important things, or should I get the full service at once? i Can change the oil myself, maybe there’s other things that are not too difficult, I can do myself? thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
so >13k miles + no service.?
Yes change oil + filter at the very least.Now.
Have the Dealers checked any BMW re-call work.?
Other Service items you can do.
Brake Pads/Caliper clean+lube
Chain tension / Clean / Lube.
Do you have the tools, & manual to give you guidance.
If not a good competant, independant Bike Shop / mechanic will generally be cheaper than BMW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so >13k miles + no service.?
Yes change oil + filter at the very least.Now.
Have the Dealers checked any BMW re-call work.?
Other Service items you can do.
Brake Pads/Caliper clean+lube
Chain tension / Clean / Lube.
Do you have the tools, & manual to give you guidance.
If not a good competant, independant Bike Shop / mechanic will generally be cheaper than BMW.
Thanks G0MYW.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's not too far off for the price regardless of what happened before. With no service for 13K miles your warranty is probably void. Change oil, filter check whatever the service says to check and forget dealers for good.

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
So how many miles on run in oil did you do?

A major service should not be that much!!! I just had a major service; 4 year + 20,000km and it only cost around AU$450 (around US$330)

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
26 Posts
Just had my 2019 g310gs 12,000 mile service (USA) along with whatever else they do,they had to adjust one intake and corresponding exhaust valve.
Cost was $763.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should be on your 3rd Oil Change or getting ready for it. If you ever buy another new bike, make sure you change the oil and filter by 600 to 1,000 miles. Always change both oil and filter and use full synthetic oil if possible.

The 2 big services you missed are the Valve Check/Adjust and the Steering head tube space check retorque.(I think that is what it is called) Just get that work done. Other than that, it is just the recall items. As for the chain, it need to be checked for slack and may even need to be replaced. If so, check the sprockets as well to make sure they are still good.

Cheack the manual to see what services should have been done and what you missed.

Sorry, I keep adding on... but brake fluid needs replaced at 2-3 years and you might need to replace air filter as well.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun riding. See if there's a BMW (or other) riding group your area. It's a great way to meet rides with thorough service skills and usually have all the necessary tools to make the job easier. Every so often, we hold service days where everyone brings the necessary parts and fluids and we meet at the house of whoever has the best set of tools. It's so much better having an extra set of hands.

Once you get your "first" service complete, a general guide is to follow the oil changes as outlined in the manual. That is unless you're running the bike on a race track (ie extremely high rpms for prolonged periods). Been there and done the oil/filter change very 1,000 miles. I stopped doing that years ago since I don't go on the track any more and only ride for general road/commute purposes. You will find differing opinions on oil change intervals and conventional vs synthetic due to varying (1) driving styles and (2) environmental conditions.

FYI - Back in the day, I did ask the dealer for the first service (600 mile) quote: $350 USD.

I hope you get everything squared away. Happy riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts