BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I did all the research I could I find BMW had the gearing correct. I should have known since they designed the bike for the best performance for its intended use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After I did all the research I could I find BMW had the gearing correct. I should have known since they designed the bike for the best performance for its intended use.
The gearing is a matter of personal opinion and expectations. For me the stock gearing was too high and required too much feathering the clutch and high revs (for takeoff) to avoid killing the motor than I liked so I put on a 16 tooth front sprocket. I much prefer the lower gearing and find only a very small reduction in top end speed (still in the 80s) and improved take off and passing except at high speeds. For me, no negatives at all.

Btw, I am not an inexperienced rider that has trouble with take offs but am in my 53rd year of riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The gearing is a matter of personal opinion and expectations. For me the stock gearing was too high and required too much feathering the clutch and high revs (for takeoff) to avoid killing the motor than I liked so I put on a 16 tooth front sprocket. I much prefer the lower gearing and find only a very small reduction in top end speed (still in the 80s) and improved take off and passing except at high speeds. For me, no negatives at all.

Btw, I am not an inexperienced rider that has trouble with take offs but am in my 53rd year of riding.
Oops - I mistyped 15 for 16 in my post above. I replaced the stock sprocket with a 15 tooth for more low end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops - I mistyped 15 for 16 in my post above. I replaced the stock sprocket with a 15 tooth for more low end.
How is the vibration at 60-70? I am on my 58th year of riding and I couldn't find another '57 AJS 500 single. A new Royal Enfield is too heavy. The G310R is smoother than the BSA B50 but not as smooth as my old 1960 BSA Gold Star.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How is the vibration at 60-70? I am on my 58th year of riding and I couldn't find another '57 AJS 500 single. A new Royal Enfield is too heavy. The G310R is smoother than the BSA B50 but not as smooth as my old 1960 BSA Gold Star.
Not much vibration until somewhere after 65. There is a bit in the 70s, increasing with increased speed as expected. I spend a lot of time off-pavement and I find the lower gearing better for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ill have 17 for a while now, and ill like it, especially when riding @ higher speeds, a little less rpm ... 100 kmh is just around 5800 rpm what i can hear is that the bike likes that.and do it all day long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts