BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 2052 miles on the odometer there are zero regrets buying the G310R vs a larger displacement bike. Coming from a history of larger bikes I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into with the 310. But I jumped in because my main purpose was city use.

It certainly performs that city duty exactly as one would hope. It zips through city streets and arterials with gearing laid out in a way that matches the common US speed zones (35mph, 45, 55) quite well. The 2021 fly by wire throttle has eliminated the stall issues on earlier models and the adjustable clutch lever allows you to set up for very smooth starts. Shifting is clunky on a cold start, and butter smooth thereafter. Acceleration is Goldilocks -- plenty strong but not a beast that's gonna get you in trouble with minor throttle error. Braking is smooth and strong, and that's without so far ever getting into the ABS. The weight/dimensions of the bike allow it to handle very well around both traffic and the twisties.

Looks wise - the fit and finish - I most commonly hear something like "no way!" when I tell folks this bike cost me ~$5K brand new. The no way comment is almost always followed by a full walk around the bike while shaking their head incredulously.

The big surprise for me has been how much better it handles the highway than what I expected. This 310 cruises at 65-75mph while the revs are high-6k to low-7k range. With a redline of 10k, that's a very comfortable pace for this engine. I haven't put in continuous rides of more than an hour at that speed yet, but watching the engine temps over an hour's ride, I'm confident the bike could stand far more hours (days) at that pace than my butt ever could. I'll be looking for a cafe, hotel, or campsite long before this bike asks to stop. I would never go out and buy this bike with the intended primary purpose of touring. However, owning this bike for primarily city purposes, I also would not hesitate to take the 310 on occasional trips of any distance.

If you're going to commute to work daily (as I do) and then take a handful of extended tours each year, this seems like the better bike to own vs a big, heavy alternative. If my bike sat in the garage waiting for only weekend and vacation travel, I might lean to the larger touring or ADV bikes.

Presently, I am one stoked commuter that loves the G310R. If the dealer offered me 100% of my purchase price back in trade for a move up to a larger BMW, I would politely decline. This is exactly the nimble, capable, lightweight bike I wanted.

Lastly, no flex here, but I can comfortably afford any production BMW. Spending $5k for me is similar to spending $25k -- it's enough money that I don't toss it around aimlessly, but also neither amount is going to damage the balance in my savings. I am not loving the G310R due to a lack of choices. I genuinely prefer this motorcycle over the larger, heavier options. I share this financial aspect not as a brag, but to reassure anyone out there who is tempted to stretch their own budget for "more" bike. There's situations and uses where a larger displacement bike would be a plus, but I can't see where the typical rider "needs" more than the 310's offer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi kentforrest,

happy that you found the bike is meeting your expectations. It takes time to settle with one you like.

what about low end torque?
heard that R version has corrosion issues if not maintained.any preventive plans regarding paints?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi kentforrest,

happy that you found the bike is meeting your expectations. It takes time to settle with one you like.

what about low end torque?
heard that R version has corrosion issues if not maintained.any preventive plans regarding paints?
Torque is a specification that we experience as acceleration. And the Goldilocks comment best expresses how I feel about the 310 here. It's "just right" for day to day city commutes and living in Seattle where we have many rainy days.

I don't need and wouldn't want more pull than what the 310 offers. It's fun, there's enough acceleration to get me out of a sticky situation, but not so much pull that it's gonna create a sticky situation.

On corrosion, I hadn't run across this and will go search to see what others have experienced so I can keep an eye out. My bikes sleep in a warm garage, but are ridden in the rain often. I stay off the bike in the very few days each year Seattle area gets salt on the roads. I'd be very disappointed in that BMW badge if they are releasing vehicles this day and age that are prone to corrosion. We should be way past those issues with all the chemical engineers that exist now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
. I'd be very disappointed in that BMW badge if they are releasing vehicles this day and age that are prone to corrosion. We should be way past those issues with all the chemical engineers that exist now.
even i would agree with that. But when we don't do the preventive measures they prescribe, then only the problem arises.

I just came to know that front fender guard is not enough length which would cause the sludge to fall on engine and radiator which are to look out for . After market accessories are available to extend the length of front fender too...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
even i would agree with that. But when we don't do the preventive measures they prescribe, then only the problem arises.

I just came to know that front fender guard is not enough length which would cause the sludge to fall on engine and radiator which are to look out for . After market accessories are available to extend the length of front fender too...
Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With 2052 miles on the odometer there are zero regrets buying the G310R vs a larger displacement bike. Coming from a history of larger bikes I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into with the 310. But I jumped in because my main purpose was city use.

It certainly performs that city duty exactly as one would hope. It zips through city streets and arterials with gearing laid out in a way that matches the common US speed zones (35mph, 45, 55) quite well. The 2021 fly by wire throttle has eliminated the stall issues on earlier models and the adjustable clutch lever allows you to set up for very smooth starts. Shifting is clunky on a cold start, and butter smooth thereafter. Acceleration is Goldilocks -- plenty strong but not a beast that's gonna get you in trouble with minor throttle error. Braking is smooth and strong, and that's without so far ever getting into the ABS. The weight/dimensions of the bike allow it to handle very well around both traffic and the twisties.

Looks wise - the fit and finish - I most commonly hear something like "no way!" when I tell folks this bike cost me ~$5K brand new. The no way comment is almost always followed by a full walk around the bike while shaking their head incredulously.

The big surprise for me has been how much better it handles the highway than what I expected. This 310 cruises at 65-75mph while the revs are high-6k to low-7k range. With a redline of 10k, that's a very comfortable pace for this engine. I haven't put in continuous rides of more than an hour at that speed yet, but watching the engine temps over an hour's ride, I'm confident the bike could stand far more hours (days) at that pace than my butt ever could. I'll be looking for a cafe, hotel, or campsite long before this bike asks to stop. I would never go out and buy this bike with the intended primary purpose of touring. However, owning this bike for primarily city purposes, I also would not hesitate to take the 310 on occasional trips of any distance.

If you're going to commute to work daily (as I do) and then take a handful of extended tours each year, this seems like the better bike to own vs a big, heavy alternative. If my bike sat in the garage waiting for only weekend and vacation travel, I might lean to the larger touring or ADV bikes.

Presently, I am one stoked commuter that loves the G310R. If the dealer offered me 100% of my purchase price back in trade for a move up to a larger BMW, I would politely decline. This is exactly the nimble, capable, lightweight bike I wanted.

Lastly, no flex here, but I can comfortably afford any production BMW. Spending $5k for me is similar to spending $25k -- it's enough money that I don't toss it around aimlessly, but also neither amount is going to damage the balance in my savings. I am not loving the G310R due to a lack of choices. I genuinely prefer this motorcycle over the larger, heavier options. I share this financial aspect not as a brag, but to reassure anyone out there who is tempted to stretch their own budget for "more" bike. There's situations and uses where a larger displacement bike would be a plus, but I can't see where the typical rider "needs" more than the 310's offer.
I'm at about 2,500 miles and say "ditto" to all of this. About to become an octogenarian in a month, so I wanted a light bike that would ride well in town or countryside. This is it. And as I advised elsewhere, an air-cushion seat pad is advisable for rides of more than an hour.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm at about 2,500 miles and say "ditto" to all of this. About to become an octogenarian in a month, so I wanted a light bike that would ride well in town or countryside. This is it. And as I advised elsewhere, an air-cushion seat pad is advisable for rides of more than an hour.
Johnny, it sounds like you're living the life I plan and hope to. I'm 54 and want to be sailing, hiking, camping and riding motorcycles for several more decades. I firmly believe life is "use it or lose it" and I think staying active in these ways is good for the body and the mind. Couches will kill you. 😉

Much respect for a soon to be octogenarian motorcyclist. 👊

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2019 is better than I expected...sounds like they fixed ergonimic issues with front brake (fans out making long reach) and hopefully rear (too low). I've never had issue with front brake lever reach on other bikes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Updating:

5500+ miles now and a 4-season commuter here in very wet/rainy Seattle. The bike has been excellent -- only the OEM battery has disappointed. BMW should have spec'ed a stronger batt IMO, and also these OEM batts can fail early (mine did at well under a year).

Otherwise, the 2021 MY seems to have successfully addressed all the known issue from prior years.

My daily commutes involve 2+ hours (RT) and 65-85mph highway speeds. You'll notice I've ticked that top speed up as time goes by. I try to cruise 70%-80% of redline mostly, but with more time on this bike I've crept that to 85% as needed to stay with express lane traffic flow. The bike feels and runs great at those revs, engine temps are cooler up there than they are down at 2nd gear in stop&go heavy traffic.

The stock tires are awesome in the rain. I have gained complete confidence in these tires at the above speeds even in a downpour.

Really can't say enough good things about the 310r. It's done everything I have asked of it, with zero troubles. Would 10/10 buy this bike again or recommend.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So nice to read. Issues with the 310 get magnified with forums, best way to get the truth out Is folks getting miles and posting like you just did. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts