BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, pick up my 310R next Tuesday. I have been searching the forum for any info on the bike. Great stuff. Anyways, I keep running into some of the issues like burning oil, coolant leaks, water pump etc. Does anyone know if these initial problems have been fixed? A little concerning. This is my first new BMW. Had many Beemers. I have owned over 30 different bikes both street and dirt. Thanks looking for some reassurance.

Reactions: Goldbug101

·
Registered
155 Posts
Remember there have been around 11,500 of these sold. Sure, only a few of those owners are on this forum, but look at the number of complaints registered especially in the last six months. The tech at the dealer where I bought said, there have not been any problems with the few they sold.
What color? Welcome.

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
As I approach 3,000 miles I can say I have not had any problems with the bike at all.

Riding on surface streets, freeways at 80 mph, nothing.

The problems I read about sound more like dealer prep problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob. I got the Strato blue, can't wait. I have order Givi top case, SW-MOTECH rear rack, Oxford heated sport grips, SW-Motech tank bag, hand guards. She will be running down the highway with me. I know many say it's not a good bike for that but I just love the seating position and feel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ive had mine for 10500 kms now. the word i found for it is RELIABLE. this engine sounds and works better with each km i add hehe
this thing just works, it moves between traffic like nothing ive used before.
i only had one problem at around 8k that the sensor that shows which gear you are in did not work showing a - all the time and with the check engine light on. they replaced it (guarantee) and works just fine.

the only thing i would suggest is as soon as you see anything wrong. just take it to the dealer. make them note it in case anything goes wrong they have to respond

Reactions: angiedave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, once I get her I will post some pictures. I appreciate what you are all saying and I agree. I am big on doing my own service, but I will utilize the BMW dealer for anything that seems incorrect. Can't wait....wish there were more Youtube vids to watch, I have seen them all.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good day all, pick up my 310R next Tuesday. I have been searching the forum for any info on the bike. Great stuff. Anyways, I keep running into some of the issues like burning oil, coolant leaks, water pump etc. Does anyone know if these initial problems have been fixed? A little concerning. This is my first new BMW. Had many Beemers. I have owned over 30 different bikes both street and dirt. Thanks looking for some reassurance.
Hello fellow Albertan.
Since you have been an owner of many bikes, I will assume you have been to many different forums.
I think you may be up a couple of bikes compared to me. Any forum you visit will certainly list the shortcomings
AND attributes of the machine. Don't let the small number of problems on these 310's cause you any concern.
These small displacement motorcycles are lots of fun, and so far pretty reliable.
Rick D
Leduc, AB.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rick. I am excited about this bike. I am sure it will exceed my expectations. Good to know there are some R's around my area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's finally home! Got some farkles on it already. Tomorrow I will wire the heated grips and install my Led bulb. I have a Givi top case but waiting for the SW-MOTECH rear rack. Love the color. Have not ridden it yet. Maybe Friday. Excited guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do you find when first starting off 1st gear engages smooth and silent but when engine/gearbox warms up the changes are not so smooth especially first gear from stand still, if possible I roll bike forward to engage first and seems to help ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bulb has a fan on the back. Runs as soon as the light is on. Fits well in the small space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not ridden it yet so not sure about the first gear. I have had a few big Beemers and they are the same with first gear and their clunk both my GS and my R did it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you find when first starting off 1st gear engages smooth and silent but when engine/gearbox warms up the changes are not so smooth especially first gear from stand still, if possible I roll bike forward to engage first and seems to help ?
My 310 seems to shift more easily when warm. Years ago I was told (true or not...) that BMW uses straight cut gears in the trans. and that is why they shift hard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update. Did a 750 km ride last weekend. In the two days of riding I noticed the bike became smoother at higher rpms. I was cruising between 90-120 kms. I have just changed oil and very minimal oil color change. Slight metal on the oil plug magnet. Nothing crazy. All in all very happy with the bike. It has two trips of over a 1000 kms in June booked. Just waiting for my SW-MOTECH rear rack. Need to mount my givi top case. The Oxford heated grips worked well through the mountains when it was 5 degrees. Also order a carbon Akro exhaust. It should be here soon. I did check on sprockets and Wunderlich has sprockets due in 3 weeks.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts