BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was flawless through run in.

Between 900 and 1000 miles the engine very suddenly died at idle shortly after start up. First time, I thought "wait, how did I stall? I was holding the clutch in? Side stand up?" Was mentally searching what I'd done wrong. Second time it happened I realized, nope, definitely not me.

Today, around 1100 miles I experienced this sudden death in 3rd gear around 4000rpm at the outset of a ride. Pulled to shoulder, key "on" engine off, and checked my lights. General warning and engine light.

Started her up and revs felt sketchy (but that may be in my head). I was hundreds of yards from home, so just took her back.

Shut her down and left her alone an hour. Started back up and had the lights. Let her idle, lights stayed. Gave her a series of revs, increasing each time, and after a rev at 6000 the lights dropped away (likely not causal).

Let her idle some more, then put in a 20 minute ride with zero issues.

Anyone experience anything similar? I don't have a way to read the codes and my dealer is a 40 minute Interstate ride away. Not too keen on making that trek just to see codes today.

My instincts are electrical/ECU and nothing at all to do with mechanical aspects. And this is where I am weakest. I was a service tech (we called it mechanic back then) in the 1980's. I'm out of my element now that we are riding computer chips around.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did you check voltage at your battery ? Sounds like the good old charging/battery issues that have popped up regularly.
There are lot's of posts on these issues on the forum.
And as it is new, don't hesitate to use roadside assistance to get it to your dealer, it's part of your warranty after all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check voltage at your battery ? Sounds like the good old charging/battery issues that have popped up regularly.
There are lot's of posts on these issues on the forum.
And as it is new, don't hesitate to use roadside assistance to get it to your dealer, it's part of your warranty after all.
Two good points here. Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This issue entirely disappeared over many days of daily commuting. It's just gone. Happy not to have the problem, but would have preferred to know the why.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Upgrade your battery to a lithium one and you shouldn't have a problem, mine always has more than enough power to start the bike even when it's been standing for over a week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a smart upgrade and I appreciate the tip. But this was something different.

This was an intermittent issue that instantly cut power to the engine well after a start. Each time, the bike restarted immediately with no issue.

Not saying it was this, but it was like what you'd expect when a side stand sensor is acting up.

I'm a daily commuter but if my riding slows down I'll check that battery upgrade. 👌

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upgrade your battery to a lithium one and you shouldn't have a problem, mine always has more than enough power to start the bike even when it's been standing for over a week.
That sounds like a smart upgrade and I appreciate the tip. But this was something different.

This was an intermittent issue that instantly cut power to the engine well after a start. Each time, the bike restarted immediately with no issue.

Not saying it was this, but it was like what you'd expect when a side stand sensor is acting up.

I'm a daily commuter but if my riding slows down I'll check that battery upgrade. 👌

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes it would be smart upgrade. Many thanks.

could you let me know which battery did you use? anything better available online?

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
yes it would be smart upgrade. Many thanks.

could you let me know which battery did you use? anything better available online?

thanks in advance
I just did a search on ebay for lithium batteries that would fit the g310, my one is branded SSB PowerSport Lithium Ion

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just did a search on ebay for lithium batteries that would fit the g310, my one is branded SSB PowerSport Lithium Ion
thank you man. Added to shopping list. Its a must replacement i feel. Becoming as independant when coming to parts replacement is way to peace when comes with BMW.Its just my experience.

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
Call your dealer and have them run your VIN, like mine, it could need the fuel pump replaced.
I have a stalling issue on initial start up, OK once it stays running.
The dealer told me to be aware that the bike can quit at any time until the pump is replaced.
They are holding any new sales until the pump is replaced, this is in the US.

·
Registered
2021 G310GS
7 Posts
To add, I had a code for an ECU ground but it wasn’t active when I brought it in for the first service. They will investigate it deeper when I bring in for the pump replacement.
I did not have a MIL (check engine) light on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To add, I had a code for an ECU ground but it wasn’t active when I brought it in for the first service. They will investigate it deeper when I bring in for the pump replacement.
I did not have a MIL (check engine) light on.
Charlie,

We are currently suspicious of the clutch sensor.

Kent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts